Find
Notify
Tools

Just a little guy for me this year
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Took this guy at 1630 hrs today in my upper hayfield. Made a 105 yard spine shot with my sporterized Argentine Mauser. I am looking forward to the fresh meat.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Ann; I shot a doe this morning and small 7 point buck a week ago yesterday.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ann:

Kinda short on horn soup. Hope
you enjoy the fine eating meat as
well. hehe! Beats hell out of tag soup!

Are you limited one per year like we are
out here? This plus the one awhile back
you got from some other doings going to
be enough?

Cheers, am happy for you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann,
Perfect,great eater!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is just fine. I got his KY cousin in the freezer.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice... congrats and good shooting Ann!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

In Missouri you can shoot up to two bucks- one in archery and one in firearms. I passed on a little basket rack during archery. Passed on some does too.

I have six sheep headed to freezer camp so I held out hoping for a larger buck once firearms started but they were not coming around. I don't mind a yearling at all, the meat is fantastic.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! you'll enjoy it.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck,I will be happy if I can shoot one like that this year,OB.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Good job, Ann. beer

Is your Mauser a 7x57?

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, it's a .30-06. Sorry for leaving that detail out. Smiler

It's been a good rifle for me. It's taken game in Africa, Canada and here at home. It originally was obtained by my grandfather and then he changed it over.

I shoot Federal Premium 180 grain NP's with it.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Reasoned I asked what cartridge it was because way back in the 1960s, I bought an almost-new 7x57 Argentine Mauser in NJ for $17.95!!!

When I moved to Phx a year later, I had a gunsmith do all the metal work to sporterize it, and then I bought a semi-inletted Fajan stock which I finished myself. It was a great shooting little rifle that I used on several successful mule deer and javelina hunts.

I eventually traded it sometime in the late 1970s for a Browning A-bolt in .338 WM in preparation for an upcoming grizz hunt in BC.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Well done, Ann. I hunted 25 miles north of your old stomping grounds in Michigan, near Marlette. Passed on some younger 6 and 8 pointers, holding out for a 3+ year old buck. My buddy shot a nice 9 pointer.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bud,

I hunted deer many times in the Marlette area! Lots of them there. Good luck to you!

~Ann