Find
Notify
Tools

Aoudad around Van Horn
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
A friend of mine invited me to hunt Aoudad around Van Horn.

We are doing this in February.

Based on my recent javelina hunt near Alpine, and driving through that area I am planning on 300 yard shots.

Any other words of wisdom?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a couple hundred rounds
and your rifle to a prairie
dog town and get in good
practice first.

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Dress in layers. Temperatures can shift greatly over the course of the day in the West Texas desert.

2) Aoudads are tough. Some will tell you to shoot them with a .300 Win Mag or similar. I don't think that's necessary, but I would avoid flimsy cup and core bullets. Something along the lines of a Partition, a TTSX, or even an Accubond will be great. If the animal doesn't don't drop at the shot, shoot it again.

3) Someone else will probably say I'm wrong, but I sure wouldn't bother trying to save any aoudad meat, unless I had dogs to feed. Yes, I have eaten it a few times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I was thinking of grinding it and doing a aoudad, jalapeno, and cheddar sausage out of it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I shot a young ram here in New Mexico. I found the meat to be relatively "blah" tasting, with little flavor. It was, however, tough as a boot. Even the backstrap was nearly unchewable, and forget it if you have less than perfect teeth and a box of toothpicks.

I ended up doing just what you're thinking Seth - I cut in some pork fat and ground it all into sausage. Now that worked.

I hear/read that older rams can get quite unpleasant tasting, but I have no firsthand experience with that, yet (I hope).

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sausage would be the only way to go on an old ram, and personally I would not bother. Just think of eating a 10 or 12 year goat. Er, no thanks. I have had decent sausage which came from a fairly young ewe.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are too many really good food choices to bother with an Aoudad.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I bet there are a bunch of cat guys in the area that would gladly take the meat for their hounds.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted that area a couple years ago in February. If the area was similar to where we hunted it was very similar to a desert sheep hunt. Bring good optics and a pair of quality boots. A quad or side by side allowed us to access some glassing areas that would have been inaccessible with a pickup. Be able to shot 3-400 yds with an adequate caliber rifle and quality bullets. Was very hot in late February when we hunted and carried lots of water in our packs.
Great hunt. Good luck.

Posts: 85 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Everyone has pretty much covered the basics. Good boots, Good binoculars! Some rough country and the weather can swing cold (Even though it is "desert").

Bring a Magnum, and shoot for the shoulder. Need to anchor them in a good spot for recovery so they don't hail mary off a cliff. I'd guess the shots would be around or over 300y. They have very good eye sight.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 and a 308. The 300 weighs 15 pounds.

The 308, probably weighs 10 all up.

I ordered a case of 308 match ammo to practice with, and I am going to build dope with my scope based on a 165 grain Nosler Accubond.

308 rifle is a Remington 700 varmint with a Greybull Precision stock, and a Geissele 2 stage trigger. Shoots little groups.

I have downsized and only have a few rifles (6mm BR, 223, 308, 300). I am going to test a 264 this weekend, and see how it shoots. If it works for me it might be my rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Everyone has pretty much covered the basics. Good boots, Good binoculars! Some rough country and the weather can swing cold (Even though it is "desert").

Bring a Magnum, and shoot for the shoulder. Need to anchor them in a good spot for recovery so they don't hail mary off a cliff. I'd guess the shots would be around or over 300y. They have very good eye sight.

I have killed zebra, pronghorns, mule deer, kudu, oryx, baboons, hartebeest, springbok, and quite a few other things with a 308. The baboon and kudu at over 400 yards.

I would prefer to use the 300, but my back isn't well enough to pack it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunted Aoudad last year around Valentine, halfway between Marfa and Van Horn, with Bubba Glossen. Beautiful country and it was a great hunt. Agree on clothing and boot advice. My shot was about 250 yds with my 300 wm. I shot my ram well, but he was tough and slow to give it up. Never tried the meat as Bubba said it is inedible. That was enough for me.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.308 is about as good as you can get in my opinion. I shot my aoudad with my .30-06. It worked great.

I used my guides .308 on a Plains Game hunt a few years back and I really liked the results.

An aoudad hunt is very underrated.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please give us the play by play/after action report.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
February, especially late can be pretty hot, but it can also be pretty cold. If you do a lot of hiking stay hydrated, doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was raised in that country and hunted a lot on some friends ranches..A young Aoudad is good eating bar b qued over mesquite, of course a trophy isn't fit to eat, neither is a billy goat, but a kid goat on milk, or a half grown Javalina is good bar g cued over an open fire of mesquite...What did you expect, ever eaten a rutting buck deer or Pronghorn antelope..Lots of variable when classifying meat of any kind, I always heard Gemsbok in RSA was bad, but a Phs wife I know made it a gormet meal...Zebra is etable also...just depends..Thats why breedidng domestic bulls are used for sauage..

I was riding fence just So. of Van Horn back in 1950, to keep trespasser out of the ranch during deer season, had a tent but no stove..temps in the 70s and 80s...one morning I woke up and had 3 ft. of snow in Quitman Pass, could drive my truck and hors trailer out, it was about 15 miles to the nearest ranch owned by a retiree judge and his wife, I saddled up and headed out, at some point the jingle of ice on my horses reins literllly put me to sleep, all I had was a Levi jacket..My hors "Tac" went to that house and stood out by the corrals about dusk, and the lady saw me, they were old but she and the judge dragged my frozen carcass and pilled cover over me by the fire, they couldn't get the phone lines to work, so just let me sleep or whatever you want to call it, until I sorta woke up and she made me drink some coffee, I started coming around, the next morning they told me the story, another neighbor had a tractor and got my truck and trailor out...I went back later and got my tent and gear...Always be prepared this young kid learned a lesson that winter, it was a close call..Being a working cowboy ain't a room full of roses...

Go prepared for summer and winter, snow, rain, what ever mother nature can dish out..but chances are it will be in the 70s and 80s..A blue norther is always lurking in that country, but if you have a guide or the ranch owner and are not camping out, you don't need to be over prepared, a warm house on a cold day is handy.

You've spent lots of time in Southern New Mexico and El Paso, you know whats there.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have snow on the mountain near Las Cruces, at least on the 7500 foot level on the East side.

The hunt is the 2nd week of February. I am like Ray said, going to pack for a Wyoming snow storm, and for a Mojave summer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted them east of Kent. we could see Van Horn in the distance at night. Don't get in a big hurry while moving through your hunting country. I've watched through glasses while a jeep full of my hunting party drove right by a very large ram that had been moving across the flats, and simply stood like a statue in plain sight, I would guess about 100 yards from the jeep, until they moved over a rise. Aoudad are colored the way they are for a reason. They can blend in perfectly.

As mentioned, don't just throw lead at them. Anchor them, or you will have a lost aoudad, or a trek that will wear you out. For their size they can absorb a lot of punishment.

Some great varmint hunting in your hunting area most likely.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The largest Aoudad I have seen are on the McAdoo ranch that borders the big game reserve, the name of which I can't recall, its been about 50 or so years since I hunted that area..I hunted deer on the McAdoo back in the 50s with Wood Bean, now judge Woodrow Bean if he is still alive and kicking..He was a grandson of the McAdoos and probably owns that ranch today, dunno? They shot some awesome Aoudad, when nobody else had them or had ever head of Aoudad...Most Aoudad in Texas are transplants except in that one area as I recall.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Look forward to a report with pictures ! Cool animal.

Good hunting.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I hunted them east of Kent. we could see Van Horn in the distance at night. Don't get in a big hurry while moving through your hunting country. I've watched through glasses while a jeep full of my hunting party drove right by a very large ram that had been moving across the flats, and simply stood like a statue in plain sight, I would guess about 100 yards from the jeep, until they moved over a rise. Aoudad are colored the way they are for a reason. They can blend in perfectly.

As mentioned, don't just throw lead at them. Anchor them, or you will have a lost aoudad, or a trek that will wear you out. For their size they can absorb a lot of punishment.

Some great varmint hunting in your hunting area most likely.

Looks like politics isn't the only thing your clueless about Kensco. I've killed over a hundred of them (guided for at least that many more), benefitting from ranchers who hated the things and told us we cold "kill 'em all" if we could. Of course we couldn't but we tried to cull as many as we could. All of this was done with .243, 30-30's (when I was young), 7mm08's, 7mags, and a scattering of 270 kills. I'm partial to accubond and partitions personally, but my son killed a slew of them with a 7mm08 and 120 ballistic tips through the lungs. If you put any well designed bullet (controlled expansion, monos) in the right place from any medium sized big game cartridge and even the biggest ram will die without any great fanfare, just like most African plains game.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had them on ranches south of Marathon and Ive shot lots of them with my 25-35 took shots up to 150 to 200 yards, mostly under a 100..We tried to keep them trimmed down to a reasonable number..Never commercialized on them but had some great bar b ques..All of ours were escapees from high fenced pastures in the beginning...Fun to hunt. Some of the best Aoudad hunting Ive seen is South of Marfa on the presidio road ranches..they have gone commercial and seem to have great results, Somebody out of El Paso books those hunts and some around Van Horn also as I recall...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed them near Sanderson, Marathon, Ft Davis, Valentine, Kent, Van Horn, Post, and Fluvanna. They are a badass animal, but hardly bulletproof. They are more of a pest than anything, IMO.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The "fine cost delicatessen' in north east El Paso, Texas will make you some fine smoked Polish Sausage from Aoudad, or Mouflon.
I use a Ruger No1 bull barrels 7mm Mag with a 3-9 scope and a fiip-down try pod with 150 gr Nosler partitions. Takes them down for the count right in their tracks.
Good luck! Let us know how you do!
...……………...………...…………..MacD old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Raider, stop letting your ass hang out. We're talking hunting here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raider, stop letting your ass hang out. We're talking hunting here.

Your dumbass follows you around. Stick to something you know.....kissing libtard's asses you moron.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Poor baby. I own you.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
....……………….. killpc
…………………………………………………………………...

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Auodads are from N Africa. I forget what they called them over there. Perhaps barbary sheep.
All are considered exotics.
I had no idea there were any over here prior to the 60's. I have driven south bound out of Ft Stockton and had to wait 10 minutes for a herd of over 100 to cross the roads in front of me.
Never have considered them game animals.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are called Aoudads by some North African groups, and others have a different name.

Aoudad is something like Ah-ooo-Deed.

Most Americans that know of them refer to them as AHW-DAD.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Up until a few years ago, they were shot on sight, Ive shot them and left the lay as they just get to be too many for the land to support and they are not native to the land, they multiply like cockroaches in Texas, Only preditor that will work on them is a Lion and he would sooner jump a javalina or deer I suspect, as Ive only found young Aoudad Lion kills and one big ram Lion kill..but a lion can kill about anything it decides to, its a killing machine..

Today, the Aoudads have become a source of income to the ranches in Texas, and that and that alone will insure their survival, and I,m glad to see that, they are an outstanding trophy and fun to hunt..The Aoudad in far West texas are more of a challenge than those on the fenced ranches in other parts of Texas IMO, the terrain itself makes them harder to locate and the shooting ranges are longer in some cases I guess...I shot most of them with a 25-35 or 250 Savage, but they were not being hunted, they just happened to be targets of opertunity as raider indicated whilel working cattle or sheep....

IMO they are a valuable product today along with the ranchers deer, Javalina and antelope, which today is a must income to the ranching community to go hand in hand with livestock production...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Poor baby. I own you.

Guess again snowflake. How many libtard asses have you.kiased today?