THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Good Gun / Shooting shops close to DSC

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Gun / Shooting shops close to DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I might have asked this question before but need to check again.

Are there any good Gun / Shooting shops in reasonable proximity to DSC ? Hoping to pick up a Safety Orange Fluoro vest and hat ( not sure I've seen them on the show floor ). Also looking for Barnes bullets although these might be at DSC as they were two years ago.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2012 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those items are common in many stores.
Even Wal Mart usually carries them.

Availability and cost in NZ you should
buy them out and resell when you get
back home.

Good luck and enjoy your visit over here
even if it's in TEXAS !! Ha!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Check out Ray’s Sporting Goods or Beretta Gallery.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
As for Barnes Bullets, I have bought them as recently as last year at DSC and previous years going back 5.
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I might have asked this question before but need to check again.

Are there any good Gun / Shooting shops in reasonable proximity to DSC ? Hoping to pick up a Safety Orange Fluoro vest and hat ( not sure I've seen them on the show floor ). Also looking for Barnes bullets although these might be at DSC as they were two years ago.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Cabela's store in Fort Worth, not too far. If I remember right about a 45 minute drive.

I'll bet your ready to get your scope!

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Many thanks for the info.

Jim, you bet. Very much looking forward to picking up the scope. How many beers will that cost me ? As I am teetotal you can even have my beers !

Posts: 2012 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Gents,
Many thanks for the info.

Jim, you bet. Very much looking forward to picking up the scope. How many beers will that cost me ? As I am teetotal you can even have my beers !

Nothing better than drinking beer with a teetotaler!

It won't cost you anything at all my friend........I will need to take it off the rifle, clean it up a bit and maybe buy a new battery........damn! I better get busy!

Wink

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
As George said, orange vest and hats are readily available at any store that sells hunting stuff and some WalMarts. I am assuming you’re flying in via DFW airport. There is a BassPro Shops just 5 minutes north of the airport. The two Cabela’s in the Dallas area aren’t conveniently located in relation to the convention center, so wouldn’t go out of your way to shop there. Academy Sports or Dicks Sporting Goods are all over the metroplex and should have what you need as well.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rays Sporting goods, Ive made many gun trades with Ray over the years..I have no idea if he is still on this side of the dirt, but he was a great guy to deal with if he liked you..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Rays Sporting goods, Ive made many gun trades with Ray over the years..I have no idea if he is still on this side of the dirt, but he was a great guy to deal with if he liked you..

He’s been dead many, many years.

The store is very much the same and the negotiating can be tough.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I figured he was, and Billy HOdge and his dad were old time gun traders that had a store across the street from the Dallas PD, and later a high dollar appointment store..I was having a beer with Billy and during the course of that beer he sold three shotgun for excess of 150,000 and one to a sheik from the middle East for 3 million, was engraved and studed with diamonds, rubys and emeralds, He was a good friend..My son was saving money for his first 22 and the bank was full of pennys, NICKELS AND DIMES, maybe $50...He walked in the store and poured all that change on the counter and said I need a gun..I told old man Hodge Id pay the difference, and he said this deal between my and John..and told john to go pick out a gun, John picked you a lever action Marlin carbing with oct barrel, mod. 39 variant and high dollar, and Hodge looked at that pile of change and said that looks about right..and the deal was struck..They don't make gun dealers like that anymore..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I figured he was, and Billy HOdge and his dad were old time gun traders that had a store across the street from the Dallas PD, and later a high dollar appointment store..I was having a beer with Billy and during the course of that beer he sold three shotgun for excess of 150,000 and one to a sheik from the middle East for 3 million, was engraved and studed with diamonds, rubys and emeralds, He was a good friend..My son was saving money for his first 22 and the bank was full of pennys, NICKELS AND DIMES, maybe $50...He walked in the store and poured all that change on the counter and said I need a gun..I told old man Hodge Id pay the difference, and he said this deal between my and John..and told john to go pick out a gun, John picked you a lever action Marlin carbing with oct barrel, mod. 39 variant and high dollar, and Hodge looked at that pile of change and said that looks about right..and the deal was struck..They don't make gun dealers like that anymore..

Mr. Hodge also passed onto the next world a while back. It’s ironic that my father and I were just talking about him last night. They were good friends. I remember walking in his last store as a kid and was astonished even then.

Mr. Hodge took me out to catch my first catfish out by Dallas Gun Club by Lewisville. You’re right that they don’t make me like either of those you mentioned.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was wrong about the Fluoro vests and hats not being at DSC. Several vendors had them displayed. I picked up an ideal hat. I didn't find the vest. I wanted something very simple and lightweight. All vests I saw were a bit over spec' for my needs. Shouldn't be difficult to find somewhere else though.
Barnes were at DSC. They didn't have every calibre I was wanting but I did buy some TTSX .270 cal, 130 gn. Got to meet Chase Young personally. Good to put a face to email conversations.