Find
Notify
Tools

Mulie doe and Mod. 64 win
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I shot a couple of does this morning, I used this 60 year old rifle, it was my dad's. This is the first mulie it has killed. I will retire it again I think, it is too hard to focus on 3 things with these 55 year old eyes!!, The shot was 125 yds!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Elkman, Nice shooting with the old rifle.

I'm not a fan of retiring rifles. Just can't get into that mode. Even if you only hunt Coyotes and Rabbits with it, it would bring back lots of memories and make new ones.

What did your Father hunt with it? Is it a 30-30?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Thanks, N.MN white tails, from the 40's through the 70's there just wasn't many deer up there, I doubt he killed more than 8-10 deer. I can't see the sights very well, maybe I need new glasses!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elkman
Good shooting.
Those Mod 64's were always my favorite Win 30-30.

I did not start shooting ironsights with rifles on game till "latter in life". I can use them ok but you might want to try this.
I did it with my Service and Palma competition rifles.

Find an eyedoctor that knows abour making shooting glasses. Take you rifle down there and have shooting glasses made.

Also going to a rear peep can help as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know its heracy but my dad had a four power Redding with put on his mod. 64. It is a side munt with weaver bases. (This was in the early 1950's). You could try that, I have no more problem with iron sights that with a scope. I am an equal oppertunity misser with either.
I enjoy my mod. 64 as it is light, handy and gets the job done. Don't put it back in the dark.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Judge, I just could not bring myself to hang a scope off the side of that light rifle.. I guess I could check into the new glasses thing but all I will ever do with it is shoot a doe for more meat late in the season.. I wanted to do it this year for sure..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that rifle, or any reason to retire it. Consider a tang sight for it perhaps - that will help with your eyes, but really, looks like a rifle that deserves to be hunted.
Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote