New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kansas Whitetail - one tough animal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In shot a Kansas Whitetail this evening.

73-75 yards.

Deer was looking straight at me and I shot him in the middle of the chest.

300 Norma Mag. 200 grain Norma Orxy bonded.

The deer ran for 100 plus yards and even jumped across a small creek. He left a solid blood trail.

Still getting hit in the chest with a 300 Norma mag at 75 yards and making it 100 yards shows one tough animal.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No kidding!

Amazing how tough some animals are, especially compared to us.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That happens with heart n lung shots often.
Any pics?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Any pics?
George

For sure. I have lung shot them with big bores and still have had them run.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

That is 4000 ft lb of energy whacking the deer in the chest and stayed on his feet, ran and jumped a creek.

That is one tough animal.

Probably weighted the same as I do - 225 pounds.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Any pics?
George

For sure. I have lung shot them with big bores and still have had them run.

True, fight or flight is an amazing thing.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they drop, sometimes they run. Dead on their feet but don't know it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a bunch of KS whitetail deer and only shot one straight on in the chest and didn't recover it, and my daughter did the same shot on one and also no recovery. If I shot one from broadside or a quartering angle the were almost always a bang/flop, even at 800 yds. I have shot 2 deer broadside with a 41Mag, one at 45 yds and the other about 120 yds. and they both fell where they were shot. The only time we had a deer run when shot through the heart was my son shot one at about 100 yds. with a 243Win using 100 grain Hornady flat base Interlock bullet. That deer ran about two miles before it finally dropped.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing the individual variation with trauma. You see it in people, too.

As to game, I suspect part of the reason African animals have the reputation they do is that most of them are shot with bigger rifles.

The whitetail for me can be one of the most death defying animals around; but some seem to be scared to death too.

No rhyme or reason to it sometimes.

Nice buck!

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Frontal shots can be tricky as vitals can be missed easier
Had issues couple of times and than quit taking them

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Glad you got one. Smiler

The very first buck I ever got was a frontal shot with an arrow.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It comes down to how much 'energy' is delivered to the critter. If a XXX 'super magnum' that puts 1000 foot pounds on the critter while penetrating the critters soft tissue areas and whistles right through, then the remaining 3000+ foot pounds burrowing into the hillside or tree trunk....don't expect violent knockdowns. On the other hand, a fast expanding bullet out of a 243 or 30-30, might impart all of it's energy into the critter and knock it down DRT.

But as long as the critter ends up dead whether it's right there or 100 yards away...that is what's important.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also found that the closer the animal is when shot, the farther they run. Especially if using a muzzle break......the blast in the face usually sends em running.

Just my experience....

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frontal and close; I simply shot them in the neck.

I have shot most of the deer I have killed at less than 10 yards. They went no where even without neck’em.

Sometimes something comes along that ain’t read or seen the same script. I would have laid down at the noise.

That looks like a great hunt and Great buck. Where to next?

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Last evening was pleasant weather. Enjoy the fine eating your buck should be.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I passed on one half that size this morning. Left side was there but right side was broken off almost completely. 2” above the skull. He will be great next year!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I think whitetails are high strung, nervous as hell, and react to sudden pain and system shock in a much more reactionary manner than other deer.

There are so many video clips of whitetails being hit with more than enough gun and they just bolt on a death run for 50-75 yards...

I think it is a similar to phenomenon, when a human touches a hot surface the hand jolts back violently even though no kinetic force has been applied to the finger tips regardless of how "tough" the human being is.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, was great being with you in Kansas. Also fun with you helping us track down my nephews buck which did similar with heart and both lungs blown up. you were a hell of a blood spotter. Take a minute if you will and tell the folks about the Kansas deer hunts we offer pretty cheap, hotel, land, and the great bird dog work you saw. Smiler

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Glad you scored. I think you might have had a different result with a lighter bullet at higher velocity. It might have done more damage as it went through the chest. Hey! You got the deer so who cares.

As for the frontal shot I've taken it quite a bit. It can be deadly but you have to hit the heart or the big blood vessels. A single lung hit and your in for a long day. I distinctly remember a moose that went over backwards and died after the frontal shot and a zebra plus a Lichenstein's hartebeest that ran hard for about 200 yards and went down in a ball of dust. The frontal is probably not ideal but if it's your only shot..........

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice looking deer and you look very pleased!

Reminds me of a buck I shot from a ground blind many years ago. It slipped up on me until it was at 7 yards. I put a 360 grain cast bullet from my Siamese Mauser into his chest. The buck just sat down on his butt and fell over. I found the bullet under his hide in his rear end.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
Mike, was great being with you in Kansas. Also fun with you helping us track down my nephews buck which did similar with heart and both lungs blown up. you were a hell of a blood spotter. Take a minute if you will and tell the folks about the Kansas deer hunts we offer pretty cheap, hotel, land, and the great bird dog work you saw. Smiler

Excellent deer - only problem is the average deer in Kansas was bigger than any whitetail I had seen before Big Grin. It’s tough judging trophies when every other deer looks like a trophy.

Excellent deer management on wild unfenced game. I am going back next year and every year in the future if I can make it. Early December will be spent in Kansas for sure.

Your dogs were excellent - I enjoyed tagging along and seeing you work the dogs and some very good wing shooting.

I like Ark City and Winfield (but I am biased I like most of middle America). Cheap hotel and good food in town.

I will do a hunt report will more pictures ect.

The second deer with a double lung at 50-60 yards with 7mm rem mag jumped a 5 strand fence before first blood was spotted. These Kansas deer are big, heavy and tough.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second deer with a double lung at 50-60 yards with 7mm rem mag jumped a 5 strand fence before first blood was spotted. These Kansas deer are big, heavy and tough.

I seen fawns take a double lung hit and run that distance.

It is just the way game behaves some times when shot through the lungs.

Has nothing to do with what part of the world they are shot in.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the KS buck.

Just like all animals, it’s not energy that kills, it’s organ damage and/or hemorrhage.

I’ve watched several whitetails run a significant distance after being hit perfectly by a 6000lb truck at 102fps. That's about 970,070 pounds of energy taking them off their feet only to get up and run off even with broken shoulder(s) and/or leg(s).

It matters not what we shoot them with, just that we reach and do sufficient damage to vital organs or create enough blood loss, CNS shots not withstanding.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote