New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next Gen.
 Login/Join

<X-Ring>
posted
How many of you go out of your way to make sure the next generation is exsposed to hunting?
I personaly feel if we don't there will be a great and tragic loss of heritage in the next few years.
There are some great stories in these forums. Like Daryl D taking that class of kids on a Wood Bison hunt.
How many of you feel we should spend more time with our kids in the field?
X-Ring

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X-Ring:

How many of you feel we should spend more time with our kids in the field?
X-Ring

X-Ring,

you are quite right: take the kids with you when hunting and fishing. It�s not only a way of traditioning the hunting heritage but also a rather good education. The kids learn a lot about wild-life and hunting, they get a good hobby and achieve a good sense of responsibility - and as a parent you get a better relation with your son or daughter. And you will have rather fun together with them.
You will also not have the risk that they are going into stupidities as veganism or drinking and stealing cars.

Go ahead - cut a fishing-rod and buy the kids an air-gun!

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
X-Ring -
You're right on!! I would wager that most of us were introduced to hunting/shooting by parents or other relatives. Nowadays, it seems that many people are too busy to invest the time it takes to interest the young ones in those same things. The next generation will only want to play soccer unless we really get involved with them now.

Having no children of our own, my wife and I got as many of the nieces and nephews involved in outdoor pursuits (most of their parents 'didn't have time'), and, I do not imagine a father or mother would have been more proud than I was at being present for their first fair-chase kill. Amazingly, all of these guys turned out to be productive members of society; not an axe murderer or druggie in the bunch! Think there's a connection?

Another thing that we're battling now is children being taught in the media and school that guns are "bad", so, it's our duty to inform them correctly. I about fell out of my chair when my niece showed me her 11th grade history book which had the revisionist version of the Second Amendment.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<karel potyka>
posted
Hi gays,
you just write my family story. Family shoed do things together is most valuable time. My son and my self we did spend time together when he was groin up hunting, fishing and just go camping. Do you know what he is doing now ? He is park ranger and im proud of him. Only wrong is, I can not be with him.
Karel

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son, who is 19, has been in the woods since he was about 5 and shooting since he was big enough to shoulder a rifle with a cut down stock.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Guys:
I don't have any kids of my own but I, with the rest of the crew, have put a couple of hundred kids through Hunter Safety.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Right on guys
I was hoping to here just these kind of responces. It is our duty as parents and hunters to make sure there is intrest in our sport in the future,
My daughter loves to hunt with me. Thus far she has choisen not to shoot a deer. She does however like shooting gophers.
Kids are great hunting buddies. They just drink up the info as you show them the art of the stalk, following a blood trail. how to feild dress game Esc.Esc.
Keep up the good work guys/gals
X-Ring

<Dale>
posted
My 15-year old son loves to shoot, hunt, and fish. My 19-year old daughter shoots and fishes but won't kill anything - that is a personal choice and is OK with me. However, I feel that where I do the most good with the next generation is teaching Hunter Education and being a rifle and shotgun merit badge couselor with the Boy Scouts. I hope all of you will consider teaching Hunter Education or working with the Boy Scouts. It takes some of your time, but can give you a lot of personal satisfaction.