THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Not exactly American Big Game, but......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not exactly American Big Game, but......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did anyone notice the capture photos of David Sweat? The law enforcement personel looked like they were posing with a trophy big game aminal.

No problem with me, I think they earned the trophy. I wonder how much that hunt cost?

Congrats to all involved bringing that low life to justice.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a figure over 20 Million was mentioned in the news. Kinda pricey for my tastes.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a hunt!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Was this a "green" hunt?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
...but hey, not every day you get to legally hunt convicted killers. I have some friends that were actively involved with the search and some interesting relevant stories from them included:

- They helped search probably 30 hunting camps miles off the hard roads deep in the Adirondacks. Not quite as remote as you can get out West, but places you can't get to except with an ATV or horse. Camps have come a long way since the days of old, many have running water, full size generators, indoor toilets and showers, etc. Many of them were not locked. Most had lots of food and drink, most had plenty of warm cloths available for the taking. Many of them had long guns and ammo fairly accessible. Sounds like maybe one of the camps had a little extra, as Sweat is claimed to have mentioned having marijuana at some point during their escape. Somewhat surprising they didn't steal an ATV, dirtbike or "camp truck" from one of the camps.

- The NY Conservation Officers K-9 teams were called in to find the shell casings at both of the shootings. Their dogs are specially trained to find casings at poaching scenes and this came in handy when looking for spent shells in the field and brush.

Here's the pic:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That will be an ugly mount no matter what taxidermist they send him off to!

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some animals you can't do anything with.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they will mount him at the next facility he is a guest of.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a lucky too be alive guy.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of a couple of Chicago detective with a similar pose, which ended up costing one of them to lose his job after 20 years and the other who was sentenced to prison for unrelated charges for quite a few years. On top of this it will probably cost the City a huge settlement from civil suits It looks to me the perc was going along with them

[URL= ][img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/150528114426-chicago-white-police-pose-with-black-man-wearing-antlers-dnt-00000726-video-sy

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In most photos the police were carrying AR-15/M-16's.
Hunting dangerous game with a push feed rifle. Disgusting .

Mark

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the old days Sweat would have never made it out of the woods !! Would have saved tax payers $$$

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Glad he was caught. However, how do the police explain that he was unarmed and shot twice in the back while running away? What if he was black???

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many states have laws where deadly force can be used against fleeing felons, keep in mind that this isn't a fine up standing citizen, he is a convicted cop killer who shot some officer 22 times for being stopped for suspicious activity. The most dangerous person to deal with is an individual who has nothing to loose, what would a 2nd life sentence do to him for killing anymore people.

To me life imprisonment is the ultimate punishment, a dead sentence is to humane for these low life's

Federal law imposed on federal officer require that the officer or someone else to be in jeopardy before deadly force is allowed, his partner apparently made an aggressive movement with that shotgun which 3 to the head stopped...kudos
As for the police force that apprehended Sweat I would suggest more powerful guns

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Tennessee vs. Garner deadly force can be used to apprehend a violent fleeing felon when their is an imminent threat to the public or an individual...unless state law or department policy is more restrictive.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify the federal use of force, If an unarmed person is fleeing force can't be used even if he is using a vehicle unless the vehicle is construed as the deadly weapon and he presents a danger to you or someone else. Also if the fleeing person is armed and fleeing but is about to shoot or has shot different story a "10" ring has now been placed on the runner
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Tennessee vs. Garner deadly force can be used to apprehend a violent fleeing felon when their is an imminent threat to the public or an individual...unless state law or department policy is more restrictive.