THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    POLL: Most Annoying TV Personality in the Hunting Community?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLL: Most Annoying TV Personality in the Hunting Community?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never met Larry Potterfield. Will Rogers once said, "I have never met a man I didn't like." I don't know if Will Rogers ever met Potterfield.
Many years ago when you ordered from Midway, postage was included in the price. This was to my liking as you didn't have to estimate shipping costs and hope you got them right. Then without notice Larry Potterfield changed their policy and shipping would be a separate issue. No problem from me with that, it is his company. But there were complaints from others. Potterfield was very arrogant in his responses and of course did state it was his company. Still no problem, except I didn't care for his arrogance. Then it came out that the folks that had items on backorder would pay shipping separately. Wait---whose fault was it that the item was not in stock? Poor old Potterfield couldn't afford to live up to what had already been negotiated? I think he would have lost a class action suit. Then with all his arrogance Potterfield posted a picture of all the guns he was taking to Africa on his safari. He couldn't afford the postage difference on backorders---take the loss if there was one , on what had already been committed, but could afford a safari? Yes it was his company and he could make that decision, no problem. It is my money and I can shop where I want.
I'm sure the fat cats at NRA driving luxury cars and living in castles like Larry Potterfield.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Pig man doesn't actually bother me that much. He is a loudmouth guy, but a lot of us are.

And his love for his kids and Dad are good to see in the field.

There are worse people in the outdoor industry.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
My negative vote would go to Terry Weiland. He was a rude prick to me when we met at SCI selling books. My books were shit, his were top class. He makes so many errors I once spoke to Ludo and gave him a list of corrections. When I see an article by Wieland, I pass it by. When I see one of his books, I don't pick it up.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Steve Scott’s “Safari Hunter’s Journal,” but I have t seen it lately. I’m sure all producers are needing new content.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3429 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Another "not too bad" show is True Magnum. Three guys which I believe are booking agents hunt all over the world. They are a bit corny but, some of the destinations are really interesting.

Lots of mountain hunting Ovis type stuff.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3348 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
My negative vote would go to Terry Weiland. He was a rude prick to me when we met at SCI selling books. My books were shit, his were top class. He makes so many errors I once spoke to Ludo and gave him a list of corrections. When I see an article by Wieland, I pass it by. When I see one of his books, I don't pick it up.

Do not like him or his writing at all, biggest self absorbed blow hard in the industry.

He is writing for Rifle now, and he reviewed a Savage 110 in 22-250 a few years ago and it was page 3 before he remembered to start talking about the gun.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I have never met Larry Potterfield. Will Rogers once said, "I have never met a man I didn't like." I don't know if Will Rogers ever met Potterfield.
Many years ago when you ordered from Midway, postage was included in the price. This was to my liking as you didn't have to estimate shipping costs and hope you got them right. Then without notice Larry Potterfield changed their policy and shipping would be a separate issue. No problem from me with that, it is his company. But there were complaints from others. Potterfield was very arrogant in his responses and of course did state it was his company. Still no problem, except I didn't care for his arrogance. Then it came out that the folks that had items on backorder would pay shipping separately. Wait---whose fault was it that the item was not in stock? Poor old Potterfield couldn't afford to live up to what had already been negotiated? I think he would have lost a class action suit. Then with all his arrogance Potterfield posted a picture of all the guns he was taking to Africa on his safari. He couldn't afford the postage difference on backorders---take the loss if there was one , on what had already been committed, but could afford a safari? Yes it was his company and he could make that decision, no problem. It is my money and I can shop where I want.
I'm sure the fat cats at NRA driving luxury cars and living in castles like Larry Potterfield.

At the time I ordered a lot from him until I checked his prices against a couple of other mail order retailers----his prices were up to $5.00 a box of 100 higher than some others and that was bullets were in the $20.00/100 range!

Hip

Posts: 1801 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshoot watch his clearance pages.

I have done very well there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm talking about the 70's and early 80's. That's wen he was advertising FREE SHIPPING.

Hip

Posts: 1801 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember him starting to charge shipping, I think in the late 1990's or early 2000's.

Pissed me off, but a guy has to make a profit.

I have sold thousands of things through the AR forums, Ebay and other forums. I usually don't charge shipping, but my goal is a rapid sale. I am not in business to make a profit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
His charging for shipping, which of course he was already doing was not the issue. Certainly his right as the owner. His arrogance and failure to honor the commitment he had already made is what turned me off.
BTW all that money HE raised for NRA was not his money.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has given millions of his own money to the NRA as well.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I think, most of the shows and hosts are in some way annoying as it is acting instead of just good old hunting
But fair enough, they make money on selling products which they advertise on their shows and we consequently buy them otherwise we wouldn’t know it existed

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of these deals/stories about donating to this or that remind me of the Big Box Stores shouting about huge sales of everything 50% off! This just tells me that they were CHARGING TOO MUCH IN THE FIRST PLACE !

Hip

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The plugs for sponsors do get obnoxious. However, that’s how we get to see these shows.

Shockey did announce that he’s not a “whore” to his sponsors. He uses what works for him and gets paid for it.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I've not seen his tax report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither have I, he is in an inner circle of people at the NRA and so is his wife based on giving. This is outside of the realm of their "roll up" program.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe I heard $54 million.

Posts: 11926 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Wow. That’s pretty generous and should make a pretty significant impact. Love him or not that gets my respect. Many have abandoned the NRA with the NRA’s in-house bureaucratic politics and mismanagement issues. The NRA is still one of the best dogs we have in this gun rights and anti-hunting fight. I swallowed my pride and recently sent the NRA a check, encouraging others to do the same. The last thing we need now is infighting within our ranks, it only adds fuel to the other side.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
quote:
quote:

Wow. That’s pretty generous and should make a pretty significant impact. Love him or not that gets my respect. Many have abandoned the NRA with the NRA’s in-house bureaucratic politics and mismanagement issues. The NRA is still one of the best dogs we have in this gun rights and anti-hunting fight. I swallowed my pride and recently sent the NRA a check, encouraging others to do the same. The last thing we need now is infighting within our ranks, it only adds fuel to the other side.

I was at a function where LP was honored. They announced the number. I am sure it was over $50 million . I am less certain of the exact amount .

Most recently ,he has donated a number of high dollar British shotguns appraised at $500,000. They are going to be auctioned with the funds used to match contributions for an NRA project.

Posts: 11926 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
quote:
quote:

I was at a function where LP was honored. They announced the number. I am sure it was over $50 million . I am less certain of the exact amount .

Most recently ,he has donated a number of high dollar British shotguns appraised at $500,000. They are going to be auctioned with the funds used to match contributions for an NRA project.

I ran into his son when I hunted Kigosi IIRC. Nice guy; kept saying how fortunate we were to be able to hunt there.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Whether you like Larry or hate him, in my opinion, he has done a lot of financial good for the hunting and shooting industry as well as for the NRA in our fight for firearms freedom.

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pig man doesn't actually bother me that much. He is a loudmouth guy, but a lot of us are.

And his love for his kids and Dad are good to see in the field.

There are worse people in the outdoor industry.

+1 Not only his kids, but all kids.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
https://www.americas1stfreedom...KEq031LkpXTdf6E0EecQ

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Met Shockley 1989 DSC he was starting guiding in BC. Went out for a steak and cocktails with him a group of 30 's age friends. He was quite and very impressed with ladies of Dallas he was single at the time.I lived with Pig mans dad Tom when I first moved to Texas in 81.Tom had Brian on weekends he's was also fishing and hunting with him.They both are loud Brain talked all the time even when he was little.Tom's the real deal world class bass fishermen problely the best duck caller I've hunted with.. I used to call him Dapper Dan because he was so neat.The Dap stuck as his nickname. gw

Posts: 81 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote