THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    POLL: Most Annoying TV Personality in the Hunting Community?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLL: Most Annoying TV Personality in the Hunting Community?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I have not said it already the Pig Man fellow.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100% my vote goes to Jimmy Houston.
Dealt with him when he was attempting a business transaction.
As they say in Texas “Big Hat No Cattle”

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously. I did not realize the time stamp and saw people knocking Tred Barta. I thought holy $hit, tough crowd, ragging on a dead guy!

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Lots of digging up old threads recently. I suppose it's a reflection of the forum moving more toward politics and less and less about hunting / shooting. Most of the guys with tons of experience have moved on so we are left with digging up old threads to continue discussing hunting.

That said, I'll throw in.

Shockey. Met him a few times. Always thought he was very nice. That includes a quick encounter in the Anchorage airport in 1998 when he was still mainly writing for hunting publications and doing a few VHS tapes. My wife and I spoke to him at DSC in 2013. He was very nice to my wife. I think she left the encounter with a bit of a crush on him! LOL

Always found Boddington to be a bit of a douche.

Always enjoyed Uncle Ted Nugent. Have been a fan of his guitar abilities since I was a young pup and especially like his stance on hunting / shooting rights. The left has plenty of in your face activists. We need at least one on our side and Uncle Ted is it as far as I'm concerned.

Bob Foulkrod. Spoke to him at the same DSC show in 2013. That guy is a nasty prick of an arrogant ass hole. Met him at one of the DSC shows. Just wanted to speak to him about writing. His attitude was "you can't participate. Leave it to the chosen few", like himself. That's a very short description of the encounter. My son was with me and his first comment when we walked away was, "That guy is compensating for a serious inferiority complex". I found him to be nothing like his on screen personality, which is true for many, if not most of them.

If we are talking about personalities, we also need to acknowledge the quality of the shows, or lack thereof (yes Pigman, I'm talking about you). In my opinion, the two best TV shows out there are Shockey's and my buddy Dave Fulson's Tracks Across Africa along with his Dark and Dangerous production. I know Dave and Jim are competitors but competition makes for excellence. I think both have done a job that is head and shoulders above the rest of the bunch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody that starts whispering as soon as they walk out the door!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . Chris Dorsey.

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
1. Almost all the whitetail hunting show personalities.
2. Almost all the bow hunting show hosts.
3. All the hosts that want to use hunting as a test bed for their marksmanship and the latest "6.3 Wizzbang - Sniper" setup by shooting animals at long ranges.
4. Anyone that spouts the "just trying to put meat on the table for the family" BS when they are driving and using $100K worth of vehicles and kit.
5. All the "hooting and hollering" redneck hosts. (normally connected to lines 1-4)

I have a subscription to MyOutdoor TV but find that I cannot tolerate most of the shows. YouTube has some of the best (and worst!) hunting videos.

Safe hunting.........LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I think is interesting is some of the outdoor personalities mentioned here in a negative light are still at it 13 years after this thread was started. These guys must appeal to many people or they would not still be on TV.

Personally I watch the shows when I'm working out but don't take most very seriously. I have enjoyed Shockey's shows as he hunted some places where I didn't even know there was hunting. I'm a little disappointed in his new podcast show as it seems to be just rehashing some old stuff.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . Chris Dorsey.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had much interaction with the TV personality folks.

I’ve met Jim Shockey in an airport, and he was pleasant and enthusiastic, even though he was trying to get home and the airlines were making life difficult for him...

I’ve been in camp with Waddell and he was pretty nice as long as the camera was off. The place I met him looked a lot different in person than on his show- as in it was much bigger and nicer than he showed. I was there hunting birds, he was there doing archery deer. Coincidentally, the place would not book other deer hunters. The owner and the Waddell group were it. We got a damn big deer though- probably a 180 class whitetail. The driver got it with a suburban taking us to the duck blind...

I’ve been in camp with Ivan Carter. He’s a real nice guy also, but he was a bit disgusted with my “if you want me on camera, you are paying me for it, and I control the rights” response regarding an interview. I figure I don’t need that kind of exposure. It also showed what it’s like on those hunts for me- lots of re creation of shots, multiple takes of interviews, etc.

Most of the TV guys Ive seen doing US hunts CANNOT have as bad a personality off screen as they do on... I think it’s mostly schtick for making their show stand out.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't know Shockey and have never met him, I have been told by many people that he is very kind to his fans. Seen him lose his cool on TV with someone else on the gun on a big animal. I am not sure I would want to hunt with him. I don't think he is annoying. His kids are very good on tv.

I met Craig Boddington, he was nice. It was right after he was demoted, and he told me that I should get out of the Navy as soon as I could as I was retiring soon (3 years after we met). I didn't do a day past meeting retirement age. I have seen too many people get in to trouble for something stupid at the end of their career. I liked him, but I don't think he is any more annoying than the next Colonel. Brittany is very good on TV.

Almost anyone on any whitetail or bowhunting show is still a douche. Potts, Bushman, Lakosky et all.

Even though I am a fan of www.gohunt.com, I don't care for any of the content they make. Except the big guy that does optics. He is ace. The rest of them are annoying as fuck. "I run the Sitka Power Bottom long under wear as my kit". Who the fuck talks like that, if you do please stop.

At one time I probably wouldn't chose to listen to a Southerner talk. I personally don't care anymore. As long as the person is not disrespectful to the hunt.

Speaking of which, someone I don't really mind at all is Keith Warren, I used to not like him but he has gotten more mature about things as he as gotten older, and his daughter is doing well too.

I like Larry Weishuhn is ok, but not anyone on his show.

I watch a lot of international stuff on youtube. There are dickhead bad behaved hunters in all languages, German, Norwegian, Spanish, Afrikaans, Russian, Italian and so on.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Lots of digging up old threads recently. I suppose it's a reflection of the forum moving more toward politics and less and less about hunting / shooting. Most of the guys with tons of experience have moved on so we are left with digging up old threads to continue discussing hunting.

Shockey. Met him a few times. Always thought he was very nice. That includes a quick encounter in the Anchorage airport in 1998 when he was still mainly writing for hunting publications and doing a few VHS tapes. My wife and I spoke to him at DSC in 2013. He was very nice to my wife. I think she left the encounter with a bit of a crush on him! LOL

Always enjoyed Uncle Ted Nugent. Have been a fan of his guitar abilities since I was a young pup and especially like his stance on hunting / shooting rights. The left has plenty of in your face activists. We need at least one on our side and Uncle Ted is it as far as I'm concerned.

Bob Foulkrod. Spoke to him at the same DSC show in 2013. That guy is a nasty prick of an arrogant ass hole. Met him at one of the DSC shows. Just wanted to speak to him about writing. His attitude was "you can't participate. Leave it to the chosen few", like himself. That's a very short description of the encounter. My son was with me and his first comment when we walked away was, "That guy is compensating for a serious inferiority complex". I found him to be nothing like his on screen personality, which is true for many, if not most of them.

If we are talking about personalities, we also need to acknowledge the quality of the shows, or lack thereof (yes Pigman, I'm talking about you). In my opinion, the two best TV shows out there are Shockey's and my buddy Dave Fulson's Tracks Across Africa along with his Dark and Dangerous production. I know Dave and Jim are competitors but competition makes for excellence. I think both have done a job that is head and shoulders above the rest of the bunch.

Todd -

I'll agree with you about Shockey. I watched just about everything hunted related while I was stuck in my guest house with Covid for 10 days. I never really watched much hunting TV before. Shockey is just somehow different. Kind, sharing, always makes absolutely sure the camera has a good shot, before he shoots.

The hardest guy for me to watch is Tony Makaris. Geez what a gomer. Thinks he's Hemmingway.

He makes piss poor shots and ALWAYS is looking for excuses.

A real wild card show that was absolutely amazing was called "Wild Yukon" I think? It was a couple extreme-poly athletes that backpack hunt the Yukon. Stunning camera work, super story development.

And I agree with your assessment on the politics here taking center stage.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Someone else responded to the same, but it's amazing these people are still on the air (most of them) 13 years later. Zumbo had some trouble between now and then, though! Big Grin

For my patience level, there is no worse show or ambassador for our sport than Pigman. Awful, awful show and the "schtick" is stupid. It's essentially every stereotype people hold about hunters in one place.

Like many others, I immediately turn off any show where there's incessant whooping and celebrating following a kill. A silent fist pump, fine. You worked hard, now act like you've been here before. There are a select few hunters and shows that really do justice to our sport, and I support them wholeheartedly.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caught a show with a few young guys that travel and only hunt public land with bow. They work hard and do it the right way....no real attitude even for their age.

The husband and wife team shows where they're led around by hand into box blinds to shoot the equivalent of farm animals doesn't interest me.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I always hated threads like this... talk about dumping on fellow hunters, well, this is it in spades. TV personalities have quirks that irk, I admit to liking some, others not so much, but what do we as a group gain by trashing them.

Reminds me of when AR members used to rank Hunt Reports. It takes 3 plus hours in the AR world to post a hunt report with decent pics. When people started getting ranked and criticized they began to taper off. Why spend the precious time to get a C grade or criticism for where or who or what. Todd is right, a lot less serious hunters hang around AR these days and hunt reports are a trickle now. What used to be a great resource is no more. I understand the "no censorship" mantra and agree with it to an extent... but eventually it killed the African Boards. There are better places for info now sadly.

It's a lot easier to criticize than praise for the human mind, don't know why exactly... but threads like this exemplify what went wrong on AR IMO.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
In my post I mentioned Wild Yukon. Here's the link. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

https://www.gregmchaleswildyukon.com/

And Russell make a great point. Taking shots at one another is detrimental to what's left of our sport. However, some of these shows, themselves, are also damaging. The high fiving backslapping rednecks justify a certain stereotype in some minds.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will watch the Tiffany part of Lee and Tiffany, however....

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can manage Pig Man, he is featuring (I think he is married to her) "Just Junie". The Okie bikini clad huge breasted mattress thrasher.

Good for Pigman to be able to end up with a woman that good looking.

She used to have her own show called Just Junie. Spends some time in a bikini.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no use for Pig Man.

He and Ted Nugget did a helicopter Gunning, cull of pigs. Instead of explaining this was not hunting, but necessary industrial culling. Ted looks in the camera and says, “This isn’t fair chase. F blip You.”

Pig Msn standing there bobbing his head up and down as fast as he can.

Sorry guys, some folks we do not need.

Then I saw Pig Man leg shoot a boar in the leg. So, he has one poor hit boar to sort out. Instead, he shots the second one. Now, he has two to get taken care of and one is only hit in the leg.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I don’t watch much anymore and haven’t seen any hunting shows for a while, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by the Western Hunter

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yeah not a fan of Ted Nugent either. He loves to say he represents all hunters but idiots like him we can do without. thumbdown

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Pigman wins by a landslide for worst hunting show on TV. He rambles on incessantly and portrays us hunters in a negative light. On the positive side, I really like Hornady’s Dark and Dangerous as well as Tracks Across Africa. I’ve seen some AR regulars like Mike Jines and Todd Williams on there, and they come across like dudes I’d like to share an African campfire with.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
In my post I mentioned Wild Yukon. Here's the link. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

https://www.gregmchaleswildyukon.com/

And Russell make a great point. Taking shots at one another is detrimental to what's left of our sport. However, some of these shows, themselves, are also damaging. The high fiving backslapping rednecks justify a certain stereotype in some minds.

Wild Yukon is an awesome show.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What bothers me about these TV shows is that the hunt is (with a few exceptions) totally staged. High fence hunts, landowner has a 180 whitetail on his place and calls Realtree and charges them $100,000 and says "come shoot it", transplanted trophies from a preserve, etc...It's like they have all sold their souls to the devil. I mean, good for them, they got it done. But I would put my hunting skills up with any of them and we will see who is more successful. I've always enjoyed watching Eastman's, as those hunts for antelope, elk, and mulies look to me like they are the real deal. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Potterfield looks like a possum eating skat. I'm Larry Potterfield from Midway USA thanks for your business. He is a real jerk in my mind.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Larry Potterfield looks like a possum eating skat. I'm Larry Potterfield from Midway USA thanks for your business. He is a real jerk in my mind.

Strange Cat that is for sure!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murftj:
What bothers me about these TV shows is that the hunt is (with a few exceptions) totally staged. High fence hunts, landowner has a 180 whitetail on his place and calls Realtree and charges them $100,000 and says "come shoot it", transplanted trophies from a preserve, etc...It's like they have all sold their souls to the devil. I mean, good for them, they got it done. But I would put my hunting skills up with any of them and we will see who is more successful. I've always enjoyed watching Eastman's, as those hunts for antelope, elk, and mulies look to me like they are the real deal. Maybe I'm wrong.

Gordon Eastman was a great person. I saw High Wild and Free as a child at the National Guard Armory in Riverton when I was 6 or 7. Made an impact on me. Watched it regularly with the kids on DVD 40 years later.

Mike is weird.

I don't care for his sons at all.

Don't subscribe to their magazine, never will. They have ruined hunting in the West. Places like OnXMaps and GoHunt have made it worse.

Eastman's, OnX and GoHunt are responsible for these anti-nonesident hunting initiatives on dropping the non-residents pools down to 10%.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Wild Yukon. Have also seen some other good work on YouTube, Randy Newburg and a few German one sponsored by Kreighoff were good also, IMHO.

Haven't had or wanted cable/SAT TV in over 20 years and am sickened whenever I see the Outdoor channel or other in hotel rooms or friends' homes. They give anti-hunters all the ammo they need.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally in awe of the way Greg McHales can move, fully loaded, in the high country. I guess you reap what you sow!

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you every met him? Do you haver any idea how much he has contributed to the NRA and various hunting causes?

You might think differently.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

I wholeheartedly second Larry Shore's comment. While Mr. Potterfield might not meet your apparently high standard of not being a jerk if you are a gun owner we all owe a huge debt of gratitude for what he does to support the Second Amendment. Far more both monetarily and from a resource point of view than any one of us without question. I see the direct massive support his Friends of the NRA organization (I'm on one of the committees in PA) founded by him many years ago for the support of youth shooting programs. Hard to also argue with him being an American business success story on which so much of America was founded. Perhaps your comments were based on a lack of knowledge of his background but as Larry S says if you knew you would change your tune.

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know Larry Poterfield, but I find nothing about his projection on television objectionable.

He is all was well spoken, pleasant, a better than good representative.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
quote:
quote:

I wholeheartedly second Larry Shore's comment. While Mr. Potterfield might not meet your apparently high standard of not being a jerk if you are a gun owner we all owe a huge debt of gratitude for what he does to support the Second Amendment. Far more both monetarily and from a resource point of view than any one of us without question. I see the direct massive support his Friends of the NRA organization (I'm on one of the committees in PA) founded by him many years ago for the support of youth shooting programs. Hard to also argue with him being an American business success story on which so much of America was founded. Perhaps your comments were based on a lack of knowledge of his background but as Larry S says if you knew you would change your tune.

+1

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by murftj:

Gordon Eastman was a great person. I saw High Wild and Free as a child at the National Guard Armory in Riverton when I was 6 or 7. Made an impact on me. Watched it regularly with the kids on DVD 40 years later.

Mike is weird.

I don't care for his sons at all.

Don't subscribe to their magazine, never will. They have ruined hunting in the West. Places like OnXMaps and GoHunt have made it worse.

Eastman's, OnX and GoHunt are responsible for these anti-nonesident hunting initiatives on dropping the non-residents pools down to 10%.

I saw High Wild and Free once when I was real young. I remember one of the lines in that movie was (maybe Mr. Eastman) some guy having an absolutely huge trophy sheep on his back and packing it out. The line was "I'll never shoot another one." Well duh. I'd probably stop there too if I shot something that big. Didn't realize the negatives of the family on Wyoming. My main points were based on the film I saw in the 80's and 90's. Where they were out in the mountains/on the prairie and had to work for and outsmart their prey in order to make a harvest. Technology, IMO, has done nothing good for hunting in general. Learn to read a map, how to shoot, how to hunt. These are all dying skills that are being phased out by technology. And they wonder why kids don't want to hunt or get into shooting. It's fake compared to yesterday.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
quote:
quote:

My thoughts on Larry,

He has donated millions of dollars to the NRA, and is the elite of donations if not 2nd from the top.

He also has done multiple free gunsmithing videos via youtube. Several of which I have watched many times. In fact, I have probably watched the Nearly Perfect Safari Rifle series 20 times, and I get something new out of it every time I watch it.

Never met him, I know of a gunsmith who make gunsmithing products who "in their mind" have been completely financially wrecked by Larry Potterfield and Midway. I do not know the details of it. His hatred for Potterfields is through the roof.

His family all work in the business, he also has people that have worked for the company for over 30 years.

Saying that Midway has risen prices on ammunition to match the going rate found almost anywhere else. I do not agree with that, but maybe it is done to prevent scalpers.

I have been a customer of Midway since about 2000. I doubt I will stop ordering from them.

It is a nice way to round up for the NRA when you check out.

I still think he is a strange cat, grinning like a Hyena!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The only name I know is Nugent and I'd vote for him for President.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Larry Potterfield is a straight shooter. When I was a young soldier, me and a few other like minded gun loonies blew all our TDY and HDP on a big order of mostly reloading supplies at Midway. We were all passionate about shooting wheel guns, lever guns, big bore rifles and obsolete cartridges. Military arms we shot all the time for free.

The order arrived with many issues. Not a single cast bullet had lube; most of the brass looked like a deuce and a half had run over it and there were other issues. I called customer service and got a run around about no refunds because some of the items were on sale and anything returned we would have to pay shipping. I asked to speak to a manager. The manager listened attentively to the issues with the order and said this could take awhile so she would have to get back with me. I told her we would all be going on block leave and really wanted the order as soon as possible. She promised to get back to me that day. A couple hours later a call came into the team room and the voice on the other end said “Sergeant, this is Larry Potterfield and I am calling to make this right.” Well, he did make it right. Very right. I put him on intercom so all the guys could talk to him. That made a lasting impression on me and I have been a loyal Midway customer since.

The Potterfields were sitting beside my wife and I one morning at breakfast in the Omni during DSC. We struck up a conversation and I said “you probably don’t remember this, but, when I was a young sergeant...” Well he did!

As stated earlier, he does a lot for conservation and 2nd ammendment rights. A straight shooter.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a similar story about Hornady like your story abut Potterfield.

He ended up taking the call and fielding a few questions about a product. It's been years and I don't remember the exact issue but it was great.

The only other company owner I have talked to is the guy that owns Henry Rifles.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd -

I'll agree with you about Shockey. I watched just about everything hunted related while I was stuck in my guest house with Covid for 10 days. I never really watched much hunting TV before. Shockey is just somehow different. Kind, sharing, always makes absolutely sure the camera has a good shot, before he shoots.

The hardest guy for me to watch is Tony Makaris. Geez what a gomer. Thinks he's Hemmingway.

He makes piss poor shots and ALWAYS is looking for excuses.

A real wild card show that was absolutely amazing was called "Wild Yukon" I think? It was a couple extreme-poly athletes that backpack hunt the Yukon. Stunning camera work, super story development.

And I agree with your assessment on the politics here taking center stage.

Another vote for Tony Makris, then Jim Shockey and the Boddington.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote