THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    POLL: Most Annoying TV Personality in the Hunting Community?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLL: Most Annoying TV Personality in the Hunting Community?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like shockey's hunts but, his EGO problem needs some correction.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't watch many hunting shows, but the most galling thing I have seen a number of times is a knuckleheaded good 'ole boy doing a high-fivin', quasi-end zone touchdown dance after shooting the target animal. If I had ever done that as a youngster my dad would have hauled my keester right outta the woods and that would have been the end of that. It's the height of disrespect in my mind.

I get as excited as the next guy and, if I'm lucky enough to get my moose this year, I'll gt a pretty big grin mn my face, but you can damn sure bet I won't act like one of those a-holes.

I often wonder who they are aiming these shows at anyway; hunters or the loser urbanite who doesn't understand anyway?

They can all go off the air. And, while we're at it, if I see one more print ad where the "hunter" has got taped up fingers or sweat streaked camo on his face looking more like a guerilla fighter I think I'll puke.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You forgot to put that idiot Colorado Buck on your poll, what a douchebag.

I forgot about that slip not! Colorado Buck, I rented one of his video' once! And only once! Southern accent and from Colorado, and the cowboy hat, Roll Eyes, in Africa no less! Him and Mcneely, what a pair! LOL! All entertainment,with lots of BS!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Tred Barta is a tool.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised you guys don't have any opinions about these personalities.

As far as celebrating after the kill. The first deer I took with my bow I almost fell out of the tree stand I was so exited. I was shaking my bow over my head and almost screamed out loud. How is that "disrespectful"?
Ultimate disrespect is killing something you care nothing about.

Jim Shockey's ego??? How so? I don't know the guy but egotistical is hardly how I would describe his personality.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tred Barta is the worst I have ever seen. In my opinion he gives outdoorsmen a bad name.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nugman:
I vote for Buck McNeely (sp?).

He spends every minute trying to not look at the camera.

He seems very full of himself. After he makes a shot, he puffs up with so much pride in himself you'd expect his mamma to come running out from behind the camera crying "Buck, you're so wonderful. You ARE the best shot in the world."

Ugh.

Could not have said it better. Can't stand his show. He may as well just stand there yelling LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!! Kinda the Mohamide Ali of the hunt shows.
IMHO
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose I have no right to comment on this thread because I have only 4 days worth of cable TV under my belt, the Outdoor Channel being the most prominent. Except for Jim Shockey, almost every other show has a mush-mouth from below the Mason-Dixon line as the host or hosts. Why is that?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
What type of host would you guys most like to see?

I like a host who’s not that “into himself†and realizes (or at least acts like) he’s not the expert. Although not a hunting show, I think Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs does a good job of that.

Any thoughts?

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go with Barta as #1, then Bushman. I like Lee and Tiffany, although her lisp gets annoying sometimes. (Ok guys, you really HAVE listened to her, right?)

In general, the thing that bothers me the most is the third grade understanding of English, especially from the southern boys. You know, "We seen them elk from the ridge and done a stalk before we gone to WalMarts to meet up with Bubba from over in yonder." My English is not perfect, but I think they try extra hard to connect with Larry the Cable Guy.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I would about soon to puke as to watch Tred Barta.. Don't care for Shockey much either.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:

I like a host who’s not that “into himself†and realizes (or at least acts like) he’s not the expert. Although not a hunting show, I think Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs does a good job of that.

Any thoughts?

I agree with you although its not a hunting show. Mike Rowe seems like a very respectful, down to earth guy. I enjoy his show.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
The moron from Realtree Roadtrips, Michael Waddel. I would kill that asshole if I had to share a hunting camp with him. Hunting ain't NASCAR bubba and if I hear "Big 'ol Deddy Rabbit" one more time I am going to puke. What a total tool!!!

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Larrys,

I could not agree with you more on the spoken English aspects.

I hate that "We had to look around n' see where we was at."

"Was at?" What's wrong with you? Are you a gangsta'? Are you hunting or living in the hood? You feel me brutha'?

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:

Any thoughts?

I would love to see a hunting show with Les Miles in it.

I would also like to see Chuck Adams on TV more. I'm sure that will make some of you guys puke though.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:
The moron from Realtree Roadtrips, Michael Waddel. I would kill that asshole if I had to share a hunting camp with him. Hunting ain't NASCAR bubba and if I hear "Big 'ol Deddy Rabbit" one more time I am going to puke. What a total tool!!!

Perry

Thanks! That's the other idiot that I couldn't remember his name, what a moron.

Also, the completely affected Southern accents that most of these idiots put on are annoying as hell. I'm from Georgia and nobody here talks the way these fools do.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perry

I'm with you on Waddel another one is Roger Ragland he is so full of his self and all his record book deer.

Another thing is when these guys hit an animal and they wisper into the camera for 2 min.

I do like Keith Warren, Shocky, Eastmen, Bodington, Nugent.

I would really like to see more old school ones thumb

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Lots of hate for lots of tv personalities on here. now don't get me wrong, i find several, if not most of them annoying. but i no longer have access to the outdoor channel, so i get to miss most of the shows. most of them you could just turn off, but since home computers are so powerful now, and with cheaper and cheaper video equipment, more and more idiots are trying to make their own show.

with that though, i got into doing a little research on some of these folks, to find out how they did it. because really, i think a lot of this is jealousy. they hunt for a living, we don't. but how many of us would do almost anything for the opportunity? i would. i know a lot of you would too.

some of them were born with money, others actually earned it, or still have regular jobs in addition to their hunting.

tiffany lakosky is an airline attendant
lee lakosky is a chemical engineer

jim shockey started and owns (or owned) a couple of the largest antique shops in canada

bill jordan turned down a big boat dealership his father had built in georgia to start a clothing business out of the basement of a church, and now we have realtree

tred barta is a corporate jet salesman

ted nugent, some of you may have heard his music Wink

i think the kisky's are farmers,
you get the idea. lots of these people are just regular people like us. not professionally trained actors, so sometimes their on camera presence doesn't show that well.

i agree i hate to see faked scenes and emotion, you want real emotion, watch the video of my elk hunt, my first elk kill, and with a bow at that. yes, i celebrated. i did not whisper. i did not disrespect the animal, far from it.

man this is turning into a damn book... back on topic....
tred barta is kinda funny, but not a big fan. i dont' really like stan potts, but how many of you would cry if you arrowed a 200" deer? i probably would, they don't grow that big in TN. michael waddel i love, i dont' think he's being fake at all. the nuge is one of my favorites. bill jordan seems to be all business a little too much, and if i could pick one person to share my camp with, i think it would probably be shockey. i'll shut up now.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe not one mention of Babe "I can break the law if I want to" Winkleman.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also, the completely affected Southern accents that most of these idiots put on are annoying as hell. I'm from Georgia and nobody here talks the way these fools do.

Amen. But remember those Realtree guys are from Alabama. Or at least so I thought. Regardless, its like someone told them to speak "Bubba" before they went on mic.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:

Perry

Personally, I really like Michael Waddel. I can understand if you don't like the guy, but threatening to kill him is a little harsh don't you think?

And I can't believe some of you are so critical of someone's accent. I don't think Michael Waddel is faking his accent for one minute......that's just his accent, and to threaten him with death is ridiculous.

adrook,

If Georgia is anything like Texas.........yall probably have every accent imaginable from a yankee accent to a country boy, "aint never been to no damn school" accent. I've been told I have a slight "twang" but I know lots of other Texans that are a lot "twangier". haha.........if that makes any sense.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WELL SAID COOPERJD!!!!

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I am pretty much against EVERY TV hunting "personality". I voted Stan Potts, but Bushman, Nugent, Barta, and Zumbo are close seconds.

I personally can not stand Tiffany Lakosky. She is nice to look at, but when she opens her mouth, I change channels. I also think all their shows are canned too.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can't stand all on the list except Nugent and like him mainly for his anti-anti PC opinion.

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever notice how the camera man who is walking backwards leads the 'hunter' to the dead deer.

Another one of my favorites ....wearing camo in a box blind that they went into in the dark. Why? Do deer know they have camo on ? or whispering ? We have a shooter, sometimes multiple shooters, cameraman, bunch of wannabes tagging along for the 'shoot'. Why whisper ? cause it sounds cooler than singing ?

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb2706:
Ever notice how the camera man who is walking backwards leads the 'hunter' to the dead deer.

Another one of my favorites ....wearing camo in a box blind that they went into in the dark. Why? Do deer know they have camo on ? or whispering ? We have a shooter, sometimes multiple shooters, cameraman, bunch of wannabes tagging along for the 'shoot'. Why whisper ? cause it sounds cooler than singing ?

Well there is a legitimate reason for wearing camo in a box blind. There's been many times when I've been hunting in a box blind and see a deer way off that offers a stalking opportunity.........and also they might stalk their way back to the vehicle. Now I'll agree that it's a little far fetched for a huge group of people to stalk, but when it's just one person, it happens all the time. I always park at least 1/2 mile or more away from the stand and stalk my way in/out. Just my 2 cents.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tred Barta has got to be the worst of the worst. Why would anyone watch him?

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushman is a total doinker....his early shows featured him walking up on deer already gutted! He would always face the deer's back to the camera so you would not see that it had been gutted when he found it.
I am from Georgia and about everyone I know sounds like Bill Jordan and Michael Waddell...its just a southern accent...get over it. Both are super nice guys as well.
As far as Nugent, I sold him a pistol of mine a few years ago and ran into him more than once afterwards...he is not as "over the top" as you see on his shows...really a nice guy as well...very courteous, respectful, etc.
Got to meet Harold Knight (Knight and Hale) a few years ago and his arrogance defies description, as does Roland Martin. Both of those guys have assured themselves that they can give advice to Jesus.
Jimmy Houston was lucky he did not get that blonde mop torn off his head when he did a fishing seminar in a local sporting goods store a few years ago. He had a rod with a crankbait attached with no hooks...anytime a good looking woman would pass by, he would let her get 25' or so away and pop her on the butt with that lure and do his stupid giggle. Why some good ol boy didn't whip his ass I'll never know.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:

I am from Georgia and about everyone I know sounds like Bill Jordan and Michael Waddell...its just a southern accent...get over it.

I live in Savannah, GA. Got to disagree. A Southern Accent and a Bubba Accent are two different things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of them flat out suck. Tred is a goofball (but at least dedicated...), the biggest idiot in the world is O'Neill Williams (he dumbs it down so much a 1st grader would be offended), don't think too much of the realtree group (I've seen one too many staged recoveries, and too many idiot "celebrity/guest hunters"). Lee's OK, Tiff is nice to look at, but too damn annoying when she opens her mouth (the same reason the TV has a mute button) all in all, thumbs down. Not a fan of the Drury Bros. stuff (don't want your friekin life story, just want to see hunting). Haven't watched a Buckmasters episode for a long time (with good reason) so I can't say if they've changed (doubtful). Shockey's put his name on one too many bad products for my taste. Saw a MossyOak video a while back, and was flat out disgusted. Never saw dumber deer in my life (must've been hunting in a zoo). The simple fact of the matter is that most TV hunters couldn't kill a mature deer in a high pressure area if their life depended upon it. Instead, they hunt thousands of acres that are fenced off where the deer recieve as little pressure as possible, and are allowed to reach an age where they are called mature (still dumb compared to the average year and a half old buck in a pressured area). You gotta get deer on film, but they've gone too far. Show me a hunting show filmed entirely on public land or small plots of private land and I'll show you the first real TV hunters. Just My Humble Opinion (but you asked, so here it is)

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyjacker, I agree....I hate the fake Bubba accent, or when someone can't communicate with "proper" English. I just don't see that Bill Jordan, and some others are faking it. I was in South Dakota this past week and folks were asking my wife and I to "talk" for them...they thought our accent (Southern, not Bubba) was "cute". Then they asked "Do I tawwwk with an accent?" "Uhhh, yes" I guess it's just one of them thangs as us rednecks would say.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but some of the tales reminded me of fishing Lake Guerro in Mexico years ago. The TV pro-fisherman was a man named Fox that we saw in the restaurant the first morning for breakfast. We were back in that evening and there they were again having dinner. One of our guys asked them how they were doing. Fox said it was as slow as he'd ever seen it. Nothing biting. Our guy screwed up and mentioned we caught two boat fulls. For the next two days they trailed us around everywhere we went. As soon as we moved they rushed in behind us. They stayed within 150 yards of us every day, and all day. I'm sure he didn't give us any credit when the show aired.

All of us can do what they do given the resources; maybe better.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
GD, thanks for reminding me...Oneil Williams...that guy gets on my last nerve. I cant imagine having to talk to him for more than 15-20 seconds. Real annoying!

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GD:Show me a hunting show filmed entirely on public land or small plots of private land and I'll show you the first real TV hunters. Just My Humble Opinion (but you asked, so here it is)

gd

So what you Are saying is that you want to see more guys in stands who aren't seeing deer? Because if these shows were filmed on public land, I can't imagine them consistently catching decent enough footage to make a 30 minute show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were actually a couple of shows like what gd was requesting...public land, "real" deer hunts, etc. One was from South Carolina and the other was from (I think) Virginia....all they ever shot was spikes, three pointers, etc...but the shots, emotions, blood trailing were real. I watched it a few times and really enjoyed it. Novel idea!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
skyjacker,

Just a bit miffed at the screwballs passing up 4 year old deer that would push B&C simply because they're "not mature". Make them hunt, not just shoot what's put in front of them by a guide. They stopped being hunters when they stopped doing their own hunting and started shooting instead. Here's a novel concept, let's see your success rates when you hunt like 95% of the rest of us... Also, if you look at the population densities over the whitetail's range, public land is getting better all the time (just do your homework, and you can fill the freezer). They'd get the necessary footage (if they could hunt).

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose other.

you asked "please explain"

Well, here it is...

You offered no choice of "all the above".

How about you ask us to name one that IS NOT annoying?

In which case I'd want an answer option of "none".

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it is Jim Shockey. I am really suprised that more people on here did not say him. The times I met him he was a complete ass.

Mr. Shockey once put his camera man (also an acquaintance of mine) on an airplane during the filming of a caribou hunt because he shot the caribou that Jim was hunting. Jim gave the ok and upon seeing the downed animal Jim realized he had made a mistake and became livid. This caribou was potentially a new muzzleloader world record. He then proceeded to cut the cape of the caribou as they didnt have time for C$%^# (camera mans name, actual first inital) to take the skin of this incredible caribou for a trophy, what a child.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you on Shockey and the Lakowsky's. For me, the worst is Boddington. In one of his fake TV shows, his daughter shot a tahr in the guts. When it didn't lay down and die, Boddington said. "Tahr is a pretty tuff animal so she had to shoot it again..." Pure BS. Boddington's personal bankruptcy filings are an interesting read. Larry Weishuhn is a close second.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watch hunting on you tube. Some pretty good stuff there. Some bad as well.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote