New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do you like
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have a good three going on who we do not like and why in the more or less public eye hunting, shooting, and fishing.

So, who do you like:

Nick Hoffman-Nick’s Wild Ride

Steve Renellia-Meateater crew (I would like to talk to him about Africa)

Craig Boddington-My generations Elmer Keith

Rand Newburg and crew-Newburg on YouTube now

Hickcock45-YouTube

Berretta USA folks-YouTube

Bill Wilson

Massad Ayoob

Ken Hackathorn

Joe Mantegna

Bruce Willis

Britnney Boddington

We need more young, more female, more non white folks pushed to the front of hunting and shooting with less bikinis. I like them too, but everyone knows what I mean.

I do not know how I feel about Yeager. I got a friend who train with him personally every week and loves him. Says the substance is there and YouTube is gimmick.

I do not know how I feel about John Lovell. He is well read, well spoken, no reason to doubt he is the real deal. There just something about him. I am actually a fairly religious guy, but something makes me hesitant.

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Hmm,

Interesting topic, I concur on the following.

Craig Boddington

Rand Newburg

Britnney Boddington

John Lovell is the real deal! Great podcast and youtube videos.

I would add the following:

Kyle Lamb

Richard Mann; his Gunsite and Wildcraft series is great! The wildcraft series is on www.amazon.com great!

Ron Spomer is a dork, but I like him

Wayne Van Zwoll is good, but he was a lot better a few years ago. He is still good on video.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Everything you need to know about Boddington can be summed up in this photo of him trying to demonstrate the recoil of a 600 NE double rifle.

coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am about 4 inches taller than Craig, and weigh about 60 pounds more.

He was 5'9 but at his age he is probably closer to 5'8 or 5'7 and a half these days.

I don't have an action shot of me shooting a 600 NE, because I have never shot one. So I don't know what it looks like.

My old 378 Weatherby was the nastiest thing I have ever shot, and it was one without a brake.

If Craig weighed 170 pounds in that photo I would be shocked. The torque created by that rifle would probably do that or more to anyone of his size.

Not a Boddington fan boy, but he is probably handling it as good as anyone his size could.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joshua I dissagree, I want more large breasted mattress thrashers in the hunting industry!

I don't know of many anymore beyond Just Junie.

1 or 2 more wouldn't hurt anything.

A woman like Candice Owens who can take a lot of shit that being a woman in the industry is going to get and keep going is what we need.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
A woman like Candice Owens who can take a lot of shit that being a woman in the industry is going to get and keep going is what we need.

Yep! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you bother. I am not damning just saying we need balance.

Good call on Candace Owens. I say push her to the top.

I will add Catherine Percy.

I forgot about Wayne Van Zwoll. I give his rifles and cartridge book to my cousins and want to hunt friends.

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Balance is just another word for even Steven, which don’t work
Hunting is hunting and that’s that...and if that is mostly white...so what
NBA is mostly black and I don’t see anyone complaining...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill Wilson

Massad Ayoob

Ken Hackathorn

Might learn something from them.

At least how to properly clean a 1911.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boarkiller, you took the words right out of my mouth! I remember "Bwana One Shot" that Boddington was active in promoting. I went to his seminar at SCI forget topic and he was the most arrogant, self absorbed prick I have ever run into. He checked the boxes though. IMO, hunting shows and the participants are like actors in a theater promoting product. I have a friend who has filmed for a lot of them and he told me once they all could shoot better as archers.

quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because everyone high school in the South East plays basketball bsll!

If hunting and shooting does not grow. If people who look like x do not see people who look like x hunting and shooting they will never hunt and shoot.

If all women in hunting and shooting are just half naked for views no one takes that seriously.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
For most of us it’s hobby and it gets mostly passed thru family and friends
It also became a big business and not always for better

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seen so many fake things in these shows.

I hardly ever watch them.

The endless BS is hard o put up with.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
We have a good three going on who we do not like and why in the more or less public eye hunting, shooting, and fishing.

So, who do you like:

Nick Hoffman-Nick’s Wild Ride

Steve Renellia-Meateater crew (I would like to talk to him about Africa)

Craig Boddington-My generations Elmer Keith

Rand Newburg and crew-Newburg on YouTube now

Hickcock45-YouTube

Berretta USA folks-YouTube

Bill Wilson

Massad Ayoob

Ken Hackathorn

Joe Mantegna

Bruce Willis

Britnney Boddington

We need more young, more female, more non white folks pushed to the front of hunting and shooting with less bikinis. I like them too, but everyone knows what I mean.

I do not know how I feel about Yeager. I got a friend who train with him personally every week and loves him. Says the substance is there and YouTube is gimmick.

I do not know how I feel about John Lovell. He is well read, well spoken, no reason to doubt he is the real deal. There just something about him. I am actually a fairly religious guy, but something makes me hesitant.

I always liked Boddington, don’t really know the others mentioned

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For most of us it’s hobby and it gets mostly passed thru family and friends
It also became a big business and not always for better

You are right about that Boarkiller. You are right.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you buy any of his used underwear he was selling a couple of years ago?

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

I passed on that Todd Ha Ha
Got me plenty of my own used underwear

“ Hávamál”

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of the list I only really recognize 4 and I think I've heard of a couple more. I obviously don't watch enough outdoor TV.

I don't know Boddington. I only briefly met him once and have had a few e-mail exchanges with him. I read most of Boddington's earlier work and in my opinion he knows his shit and doesn't mind telling you he fucked up. When a newbie safari client asks what he should read I always refer him to Boddington's books. His books are informative and not slanted to make Craig look like a super hero.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Out of the list I only really recognize 4 and I think I've heard of a couple more. I obviously don't watch enough outdoor TV.

I don't know Boddington. I only briefly met him once and have had a few e-mail exchanges with him. I read most of Boddington's earlier work and in my opinion he knows his shit and doesn't mind telling you he fucked up. When a newbie safari client asks what he should read I always refer him to Boddington's books. His books are informative and not slanted to make Craig look like a super hero.

Mark

Well said Mark and exactly what I think of him and I also met him few times and he is very friendly and informative

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I met Craig B. at an SCI event many years ago just before I went to Zim to hunt leopard. I asked him his advice, he was very friendly and engaging.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I think I need to clarify "Bwana One shot" was a black guy that used to work for ESPN.
I hold Boddington in high regard talked to him once or twice and he does know his stuff!

quote:
Originally posted by RAR60:
Thanks Boarkiller, you took the words right out of my mouth! I remember "Bwana One Shot" that Boddington was active in promoting. I went to his seminar at SCI forget topic and he was the most arrogant, self absorbed prick I have ever run into. He checked the boxes though. IMO, hunting shows and the participants are like actors in a theater promoting product. I have a friend who has filmed for a lot of them and he told me once they all could shoot better as archers.

quote:

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't/doesn't Bo Jackson do some hunting shows?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen Bo Jackson’s show in years. I think it died.

However, add Bo Jackson to my list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seldom watch the hunting shows, but watched a few min. of one where they were squirrel hunting with air rifles. Bo was in that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit watching them.

However, the one show that I did like was Meat Eater. The guy is a great spokesman for our
sport and in my opinion, does a great job.

I saw an interview that he did with a major network (I cannot remember which one). The way he presented
and conducted himself during the interview was exemplary.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will comment on one of the people on the list. Nick Hoffman.

He has been down to my place 3 times. He has also gone to the Gilchrist Club with me where we shot quail. He has filmed for TV twice with me. A quail hunt will be in the upcoming season.

He is a very nice guy. He goes hard. He knows what he is doing . Perhaps most importantly, he wants to do things the right way. Ethical and 100% in compliance with the law.

Posts: 11944 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

That's nice to hear. I've only watched a couple of his episodes.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Who do I like?

Buchanans "This is Africa"

Stefan Fouche "Africa Sportsman"

Steve Rinella "Meat Eater"

Nick Hoffman "Nick's Wild Ride"

Most of Boddington's shows

"Tracks Across Africa"

"Hornady's Dark and Dangerous"

"Under Wild Skies"

A. Amintine on YouTube (pigs and varmints here in Texas)

Safe Shooting

LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
If you are going to list Lovell and Yeager you have to mention Pat McNamara.

Personally I like Lovell, do not care for Yeager, and get a kick out of watching McNamara. Never met any of them, so my opinions are based off their YouTube personas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chipper Jones of ATL Braves fame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I will comment on one of the people on the list. Nick Hoffman.

He has been down to my place 3 times. He has also gone to the Gilchrist Club with me where we shot quail. He has filmed for TV twice with me. A quail hunt will be in the upcoming season.

He is a very nice guy. He goes hard. He knows what he is doing . Perhaps most importantly, he wants to do things the right way. Ethical and 100% in compliance with the law.

Good to hear....I like his show. tu2

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw one recently.....forget the name.....someone's expedition bucket list or something like that. Guy is going around trying to kill all waterfowl species in N.A. He water swatted a buffy hen then a whistler hen and I said yeah no.....what a joke. One of the most amateurish shows I've ever seen.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I need to clarify "Bwana One shot" was a black guy that used to work for ESPN.
I hold Boddington in high regard talked to him once or twice and he does know his stuff!

quote:

quote:

He used to post here a lot as “Bwana moja” I believe. His name is Marc Watts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36504 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I am going to chime in here as a non-American.
"Meateater" has a big following in South Africa and I really enjoy getting to know your continent and I think that the cooking part adds a big dose of interest to us.
Somehow if Steve started hunting in Africa the show would lose its appeal to me. For me it is all about learning about the variety of game in the US.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ledvm that is exactly who it is. He said the trackers at the seminar called called him Bwana One shot.
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

quote:

quote:

He used to post here a lot as “Bwana moja” I believe. His name is Marc Watts.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
I am going to chime in here as a non-American.
"Meateater" has a big following in South Africa and I really enjoy getting to know your continent and I think that the cooking part adds a big dose of interest to us.
Somehow if Steve started hunting in Africa the show would lose its appeal to me. For me it is all about learning about the variety of game in the US.

I run into him every couple years in Montana. He has friends in an area I hunt. Decent guy. The first time I met him though, probably 8 years ago, I thought he was a complete ass. A college buddy and I were hunting and had run into town for lunch. Rinella was there with his friends, and my buddy knew them having grown up in the area. We chatted for a while, and Rinella constantly steered the conversation to where the elk were and what they were doing. He wasn't having much luck and his buddies weren't much help, which is odd since I know they are solid hunters. A couple days later we ran into him while packing out my bull. He was almost pissed that I'd shot it the evening before. They had glassed it up and thought they'd have it to themselves. No idea how they missed me shooting it.

I've talked with him several more times and he isn't what I thought. Obviously, he understands showmanship, but is very conscious of the message. We're not friends by any stretch, but I think he is good for the sport.

The other fellow and his crew that I've run across is Randy Newberg. You will not find a better group. They just like being out there. I was packing another elk when I first came across him. I've talked with them a few times since, and every time I'm glad they are putting out content.

Others that I've met, or like. The Buchanans and This is Africa. It's a little corny sometimes, but I think they do a good job of showing the hunt and more than the hunt.

Dave Fulson does a great job. I've not met him, but would like to.

Aaron Neilson has steered me in the right direction several times.

Boddington, I do like. I've talked to him once, and he was very nice. His books and videos are honest, IMO and he doesn't just tell you what gets him a commission.

Eastman's. Mike, Guy, and Ike seem like good folks. I've only ever talked to Mike many years ago and he was fun to talk with.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've had several conversations with Boddington at several hunting shows, and I found him to be a quite pleasant person to chat with.
I think most of the people who seem to have a little holier than thou attitude about any one who has some public presence like most writers, and those who have been lucky to have a job that allows him or her to be doing a lot of hunting that others like me who have to pay my on way will never do that much very expensive hunting around the world.
I say more power to those who have found a way to hunt all over the world and take some animals that most have only seen in zoos or in the hunting films that are made by very rich, or those who do that type of hunting as a job like the one that is the target of this thread.
I was lucky enough to do some of this type of hunting , simply because I worked 30 years for a very large airline wide , that gave me enough time off, and airline flight benefits that took thousands of dollar out of the cost of getting to the places where big game was available to me, for a big discount in over all cost.
So I guess I've had my job helping me to do some of the things I would not have been able to do as well. So I had help as well and can't fault those who had help to do their hunts because of their jobs. I simply think, like me, they were just a little more lucky than me, I say more power to them!
........................................... sofa oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

.................................. jumping MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted on some ranches at the same time these TV guys have so got to observe their hunts off and on..One thing I noticed is they shoot the game in some cases from the truck the film the stalk and the hunt...I guess they have to do that to make a good film but it sorta turned me off, I can't imagine doing that..One group invited me to Pheasant hunt with them, got disgusted because I didn't have red vest?? and I shot a mod. 12 20 gage instead of a double that they were pimping!!, then the last straw was when the gun next to me missed his bird I killed, I thought that was allowed, oh well I didn't like that group anyway, they were puffed up with oversize egos..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I don't get any of the hunting shows with my cable provider so I don't know if Dave Watson is still hosting a program; if he is, I'd add him to this discussion.

Many years ago when Dave was hosting "Secrets of the Hunt" I won a contest he sponsored every year. I won a whitetail deer hunt on a high fence operation west of San Antonio, near Sabinal. My hunt was filmed and became a segment of his show the following fall.

In addition to the hunt (I shot a management buck, although I had permission to shoot anything that showed up) I was given a set of camo, boots, a rangefinder and a binocular.

Watson and his cameraman were just about as nice a pair of hunting companions you could ask for; Dave was down to earth, fun to be around, and completely unpretentious.

A great part of the hunt was getting to see how outdoor shows are filmed--they are typically one or two man operations; in fact, Dave filmed my segment himself and the next day his cameraman filmed us both for that part of the production called "B-Roll."

I hope Dave is still hosting a hunting show.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1545 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote