THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Is 150gr the most versatile 7x57 bullet weight?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 150gr the most versatile 7x57 bullet weight?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The qualification is that it's for game from coyote size to red deer stag (large mule deer buck size?) including boar but might be used at a pinch on moose if my 9.3 isn't available.

Plan is to use a remington core lokt at 2700fps. Is this bullet tough and does it expand at this sort of reduced velocity (used in factory 7mm rem mag ammo)

I want to

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your in good shape I suppose for a conventional bullet, but with boar on the agenda, I'd personally go with the 160 Nosler and I assure you it will work on anything.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
Ray,

Speaking of the 7x57, could you share some pet loads. I have a Mauser 95 custom can't seam to find the sweet spot on loads. Best load to date has been 48.5 gr of RL19 and 139 gr Hornady. The original barrel does not like boat tail bullets. I have also tried H414, Imr4350, IMR4831, RL22 and RL15 with 140's, 150's, 160's and 175 gr bullets. These loads sometimes put two together then the next three stretch out to 3" or more. I am trying to find one load for all medium game.

Any sugestions?????

Thanks in advance

<FAINA>
posted
Hi hunters,
I find 150g is the right weight for 7x57 Mauser caliber if you want to hunt red deer or so, but wild-boar is stronger. If you shoot right this bullet never give you problem but if you shoot at a running boar it's very difficolt to shoot good, so I prefer the good old 30.06 for this animals.
ciao FAINA

<sure-shot>
posted
1894, my neighbor shot a small black bear with a 150gr Rem core lokt 7mag a couple of years ago. One shot to the shoulder at about 100yds, the bear rolled and ran into the brush nowhere to be found. Neighbor recruited the local houndsman to track down the "huge bear". The hounds bayed up the bear which was very much alive(and this was the very next day). Neighbor finished off the beast with a357mag revolver. Examination revealed the 150gr core lokt failed to penetrate the bear's shoulder. The bear turned out to be around 200lbs. I would go with a 150 or 160 Nosler partition whichever your rifle shoots the best.sure-shot's 2 cents

one of us
posted Hide Post
The twist rates on 7x57 rifles vary quite dramatically. It is an idea to measure the twist on any 7x57 and ensure firstly that the correct length of bullet is chosen rather than a particular weight. Performance will improve if this is done. Bore diameters of USA sevens and European sevens also differ. Often performance can be much improved by matching the diameter of the bullet to the bore of your particular seven millimetre.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Looks like I might have to think again as the whole reason for this project is to ensure I penetrate shoulders etc. Looks like partitions or 160grainers if I'm to be truly safely versatile. Can the corelokt really be bonded if it performs like that?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894. The Core-loct was never a "bonded" bullet. Not in the sense a "bonded" bullet is today. Internally, the jacket gave the core an hourglass shape, which helped keep the core from separating from the jacket. I'm not too sure they still do it that way, but at one time they did. Haven't used any Remington bullets in a very long time.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote