THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Utah may cut deer hunting permits by 5,000 due to population concerns

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utah may cut deer hunting permits by 5,000 due to population concerns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.rfdtv.com/story/43...-population-concerns

Utah may cut deer hunting permits by 5,000 due to population concerns

Friday, March 26th 2021, 11:34 AM CDT

On Wednesday, Utah officials announced that they may cut the number of deer hunting permits for the year. They could possibly cut 5,000 permits.

The cut is in response to decreasing deer populations across the state; however, officials stated that bison, elk, and bighorn sheep permits may increase-- this is under the same proposal.

It is estimated that the deer population in the state is around 314,000. Compared to 2018, the population has dropped by more than 55,000.

"When biologists set permit recommendations, biology and herd health come first. It's the first thing that we look at. When we do that, we take into account things like habitat conditions, environmental conditions, and survival rates," Utah Division of Wildlife Resources's Covy Jones stated, according to KSL.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9360 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw this article, what a joke!

The deer herd in Northern Utah is in serious trouble. The past few winter kills have been terrible. I can only say this based on what I have seen. There are not a lot of deer. I haven’t even bothered getting a license that past few years.

I’d like to see the cut the tags in half, at the least. Double the tag costs, I’d be happy to see it.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live just north of northern Utah.
their deer herds being drastically reduced is no Joke.
unfortunately what'll happen is the hunters will just stroll over the boarder and increase the competition for the 5-6 bucks we got up here..

our doe to buck ratio is already like 20 to 1, adding in another 5-K hunters to the areas not being logged right now is gonna make for some shoulder to shoulder hunting.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I bet those 5000 tags will not include the auction and raffle tags.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I bet those 5000 tags will not include the auction and raffle tags.

Of course not. Take a look at how many tags that the pimped this year

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
I saw this article, what a joke!

The deer herd in Northern Utah is in serious trouble. The past few winter kills have been terrible. I can only say this based on what I have seen. There are not a lot of deer. I haven’t even bothered getting a license that past few years.

I’d like to see the cut the tags in half, at the least. Double the tag costs, I’d be happy to see it.

It was in serious trouble fifteen years ago. Utah residents were already hunting Idaho then. I don't know much about other areas, but Cache Valley built subdivisions on the mule deer winter ranges and fenced off the uphill part of Logan to keep them out of their yards.

The higher mountains are no place for a mule deer in January, even elk move down to the foothills. RIP...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote