New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altitude sickness prevention
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any thoughts on reducing or eliminating the negative effects of altitude for someone that lives near sea level and would like to spend some time in the Rockies? Thank you

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diamox

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Diamox

This is a sulfa drug, if you are allergic to sulfa you probably wont be able to take it. In addition, I would recommend lots of water. Usually, the body can handle about 6-8k of altitude without any serious issue. This is not a hard and fast rule, every body reacts to altitude differently.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the thinner air at altitude requires the body to make more red blood cells to carry oxygen. this takes 7-10 days at altitude

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some will say B complex as the O2 needs iron to bond with the blood cells ... Another fact or fiction is no carbonated beverages as nitrogen in the system does not help your cause....
If, you need to have a beer or soda open it up the day before.. Cool

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spend a day or to acclimating at 7-8000 feet before going higher. Plenty of fluids and rest. How high are you going to be going and what kind of shape are you in ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
The body reacts to the thinner air in a few ways.
The higher altitudes deplete your body of hydration so stay hydrated - lots of water - no caffeine - and lots of rest.
The thinner air requires your heart and lungs to work harder to supply the oxygen you need - exertion multiplies this effect. If you spend enough time at altitude the body will usually produce more red blood cells to compensate - but not always. Very high doses of IV vitamin C have been shown to be a help in preventing altitude sickness in Airforce studies but your doctor is not likely to give you those. Acclimating to the higher altitude can help but it takes time and not all people are able to acclimate.
Your body has to work a lot harder even at rest so along with the extra water you will need extra calories as well. Your needs will depend on your level of effort.
Cold temps, low humidity and wind all combine to dehydrate your skin and body. "Wind burn" is one of the symptoms of this dehydration so one more reason to drink lots of water.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Spend a day or to acclimating at 7-8000 feet before going higher. Plenty of fluids and rest. How high are you going to be going and what kind of shape are you in ?

I don't think one really needs to train for it. My ex-wife and I summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro a few years ago. We prepared by hiking with packs, but more or less at sea level in CA.

We took the altitude sickness pills, but that was about it.

I was 52 at the time, and she was 32 so neither one of us was Spring chicken either.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much you can do about the thinner air. It takes about 6-8 weeks if you move from sea level to 7,000 feet before you are 100% acclimated to it. Both the wife and I went from sea level to 7,200 and it took us that long before we could do our normal course of walking without feeling like we were going to die.
Neither of us got headaches, but there is little you can do until your body replaces all the red blood cells with ones that hold more oxygen. Pretty much everyone we talked to who lives where we do said the same thing, 6-8 weeks.

Goes without saying, the better shape you are in at sea level means the less difficulty you will have at higher elevation.

High altitude does has its advantages. When we go some where that is close to sea level it is like someone gave us a shot of B12 or speed. Tons more energy, especially when climbing hills.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I train

Great diet and a workout plan with 4 or 5 days of cardio a must for those of us at sea level

I have a maintenance routine 9 months a year but 90 days out with tags in hand I get bussy and get into mountain shape

The most common thing most flatlanders notice is head ache....unavoidable

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone's body reacts to altitude differently and individuals who have experienced no problems in the past can suddenly find themselves in trouble.

I live at Sea Level and this is what has worked for me:

-Arrive as early as possible, the longer you can spend at elevation before a hunt, the better.

-Hydrate. Drink more fluids than you think you need, avoid alcohol. I add Nuun tabs to my water.

-Be in the best shape possible. I do Crossfit and it has helped me adapt to altitude quicker than I did with running, etc.

-Take it easy the first few days and listen to your body.

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Took my little bride up to the top of Pikes Peak.
She was not feeling well, light headed, queasy, etc.
I told her the donuts they made up there was a special formula just for what ails her.
She had one, paused then ate another felt ever so much better, she walked around the top until it was time to go back down.
Get a box of those magical Pikes Peak donuts.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeesh, No coffee. No wine, guess we'll have to cancel our plans. Just kidding, I've been out of signal range for several days. Thank you all for the excellent advice and input. I am glad I asked. Thanks again

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow - You are absolutely right about the "opposite" effect, going from higher to lower. I live at 8,400 feet (34 years now) and can hardly wait to get back in Moz for 30 days in September. Hunting there at 20 feet or so above sea level is like having an afterburner attached to this old body.

When I was outfitting here in New Mexico for elk and deer always advised my clients coming from lower elevation areas to lose some pounds, exercise more and get here a few days early. After arriving suggested they start consuming a lot more water. Usually didn't help much as most of them still struggled, but I never had anyone "actually" experience serious "altitude sickness" problems where I had to immediately get them to a lower altitude.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Not much you can do about the thinner air. It takes about 6-8 weeks if you move from sea level to 7,000 feet before you are 100% acclimated to it. Both the wife and I went from sea level to 7,200 and it took us that long before we could do our normal course of walking without feeling like we were going to die.
Neither of us got headaches, but there is little you can do until your body replaces all the red blood cells with ones that hold more oxygen. Pretty much everyone we talked to who lives where we do said the same thing, 6-8 weeks.

Goes without saying, the better shape you are in at sea level means the less difficulty you will have at higher elevation.

High altitude does has its advantages. When we go some where that is close to sea level it is like someone gave us a shot of B12 or speed. Tons more energy, especially when climbing hills.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a precedent for getting a shot of EPO (erythropoietin)before you go? Works wonders for cyclists and anemic patients. You just need to supply your body with extra iron and Vit C to make the additional RBCs.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a doctor so you can take this as something that's worked for me. I grew up at altitude but moved to the flat lands over 20 years ago. I travel back to Utah fairly often for family reunions, hikes and hunting. I'm in pretty decent shape but always feel the altitude when I first arrive and exert myself even a little. It really helps me if, soon after arrival, I go for a run or do something that gets my heart rate and breathing up for a half-hour or so. I'm much slower than back home but I do it anyway. I always feel 100% better just a couple hours afterwards and the next morning I feel excellent and ready to go hunt or hike.

Another thing that really helps if do you get altitude sickness is to simply reduce altitude by a thousand feet or more for a few hours. Drive the truck down the road a few miles. You will feel a lot better and can return to the higher altitude fairly quickly and you'll be pretty much over it.

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote