Notify
Tools

First Deer in Maine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZNXDhq3atG75

Here are Pics of my first Whitetail and my first deer in Maine since moving here from California 2 1/2 years ago. It is no monster, he dressed out at 160 lbs and has 5 points. He should of had 6 but a brow tine was broken off. It is the biggest deer I have ever killed. I have only shot a few mule deer before in southern CA (3 buckd and 4 does)

I shot it at exactly 0700 on Monday Nov 20th.
The deer came in from right behind me. I heard him comming but did not dare move. when he passed by at 25 yards to my left I let him have a 300 grain Barnes X from my 45-70 Marlin Guide gun. The bullet hit right behind the shoulder and exited, blowing a huge hunk of mud and snow up in the air. The deer hunched hard and continued walking slowly and I let him have another, quatering away hard. The deer dropped with that shot like the ground was pulled from under him. The second bullet was found under the hide in the neck. It weighed 263 grains, that is the most weight lost of any Barnes X out of the few I have recovered. You will also see some pictures of my Daughter who at age 18 months seems to like deer hunting and loves tenderloin.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uglystick,

Congratulations on a great buck!

Though I have not been up there deer hunting in a couple years I do love to hunt Maine. It is very often hard work but, the reward great!

A bit of a climate change from Califonia I'd imagine!

I have hunted the Jackman/Lowell Town area myself and some of the buck tracks I have been on were just amazing! Very very motivating. Makes you want to stick with a track and keep on them.

Looks like you are going to have a real hunting buddy in a couple years! Smiler

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Uglystick,

There isn't anything wrong with that buck.

Congrats!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. We ate the tenderloins for dinner on the first night. I will be processing the rest tomorow after work.

Now all I have to look forward to untill next fall is ice fishing and trying to kill a few coyotes to help improve my chances for a deer next year BOOM

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I love the photos with your "munchkin" checking out the deer.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Big congrats to you, and as was said already, that's a real cutie you've got there too! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote