THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Dad stole my buck, or birthday gift for dad?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dad stole my buck, or birthday gift for dad?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
With Covid derailing our plans for a sheep hunt in the youth season for Renee we decided to return to Prince of Wales Island to chase blacktail and see the sights. The plan was to get Renee her first buck and for dad to celebrate his birthday with a big Sitka blacktail. We failed on both counts but this was still the best hunt of my life.

We again stayed at Thorne Bay Lodge. I can't say enough about this place. Brent and his son run a hell of an outfit and we absolutely love it there. It feels like a second home. The cabins are well appointed and comfortable, the hunting is great and the area is stunning. It doesn't hurt that his rates are so reasonable that even a cheapskate like me almost feels guilty getting such a bargain.

We stayed Thanksgiving week and figured to catch the tail end of the rut. We weren't disappointed. We got our feet wet Sunday but didn't see the buck we wanted. Monday was a different story. Seeing as it was my birthday Renee said that I should have first crack at any big buck we saw. And boy did we see some bucks.

Twice before noon we surprised really big bucks who were following does. Both times I should have gotten a shot but I simply wasn't quick enough. And they were beauties! Even so nothing could get our spirits down.

The weather was wet and cold but we were both wearing new Kuiu gear and it made the hunt so much more enjoyable. Hunting in light rain without having to bother with raingear was a new experience for both of us. The price is steep but it is worth every penny. We did bring raingear but it was seldom needed even though we experienced a lot of light rain.

Tuesday I decided that I would focus on getting Renee a buck. I told myself that I would only carry my rifle to back her up or to possibly take a shot if the distance was too long for her. We headed down to some older clearcuts and bumped a deer on the trail. It stepped behind a bush and paused.

I told motioned for Renee to freeze and said, "there is a doe". She hissed, "I see horns!"

I cycled the bolt thinking that she saw a buck following the doe. I asked her "where?" and she replied, "right there in the bush!"

Through the scope I could see that she was right, it was a buck. Whether by greed or reflex I am not sure, but my rifle went off and the buck fell. Renee yelled, "you got him!" just as I realized that I had killed what should have been her first deer.

My shame was short lived as Renee's excitement was infectious. It had all happened so fast, and from very close range. And the buck was a beauty. Not in the trophy sense, but in the way that only a late November deer taken in such a beautiful place can be.

The best photo showing my beautiful daughter.

This is the best photo showing the little bucks dual eyeguards and those deep red antlers. Quite a bit of character for such a young buck.

We witnessed some postcard sunrises.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[I have helped a lot of youngsters get a start hunting.

None ever have had the experience that Renee is getting.

Great job.

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
You and Miss Renee are living in paradise and making great memories. Thanks for being such a good daddy to her. Most people give no outdoor experiences to their kids anymore.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Always nice to get out of Barrow and see something that isn't frozen.

Great job!

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding story.

Went fishing in August on Prince of Wales island. Beautiful place!

We are going back September 2020!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats what way to make a life long memory

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
With as much sunshine and rain as we had we saw some spectacular rainbows.

In the days after we got the buck the rut ended. It was like the deer vanished. On one of these down days we had a magical encounter with a young doe. Driving down a logging road we spotted a doe feeding. I shut the truck down and we sat and watched her feed. Renee blew softly on her doe call and the doe's ears perked up but she continued to feed. Renee again blew softly and the doe turned our direction and headed straight down the road towards us. I joked that she was charging and I would have to shoot her before she could ram us off the road. Renee laughed and then we both went silent as the doe walked right up to the truck and then turned and walked around Renee's side. She was so close that I couldn't see her from the driver's seat. She stopped beside Renee's door and stood looking at Renee. Renee snapped a few photos and then reached her hand out to pet her. The doe took a few steps and continued to feed, finally disappearing into the forest. This was probably the highlight of our trip.

The population of bald eagles in the area is so dense that after a few days you hardly take notice of them. We were able to watch them feeding several times and even got a bit too close to a young eagle on one occasion. I'm not sure that an eagle will attack a human but I almost got to find out first hand.

The deer weren't moving much the rest of the trip but we great time. I'm not sure when we will be back but we are already talking about returning for spring bear. And Renee still need to get her POW Island buck.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!!!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad both of y'all had great time!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Renee is a real cutie. You can tell she is having a great time with you. Lucky Dad!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Time spent with children in the great outdoors is the best way to use it wisely. Well done Jason and Renee!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thrill for the girl, glad you took her.
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great times! Thanks for sharing.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That Alaska Panhandle country is beyond beautiful. Renee's smile just lit up my day. Thanks!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done one more time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12838 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jason. One just can't beat quality time afield with one's child(ren).

Posts: 3288 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
This is the island featured in Meateater, I think. I was quite fascinated by it and so it is great to read your post.
I live in a semi-desert, though, and the thought of all that cold rain gives me the shivers!

Posts: 778 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Great memories!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote