New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHATS LEFT TO HUNT THIS YEAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is left to hunt this year. Are there any cow elk tags or late season hunts left that have over the counter licenses?
quote:
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care!

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Texas you can hunt whitetai till mid January during the regular season and until the end of February for MLD ranches. West Texas mule deer season starts this weekend and lasts for 16 days. Javalina and Turkey are open. Tags are over the counter on everything.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
22 WRF,
Here you go bud, I'm doing a California Pig hunt in January, it's a sweet deal. Let me know if want the info.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/LeftoverLicense.htm

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vemo

Whats the deal on those private land hunts that go until January 31st. Seems to be a lot of licenses left. does that mean there are no elk there or does that mean the private landowners won't let anyone hunt there, or what?

any suggestions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well here in Oregon, there is a still a few elk season special draw zones open this month...

Bear and Cougars can be taken up until December 31st...

Then with a 2007 license, you can still hunt cougar until the beginning of next May.... and spring bear starts in February....

Of course it is just an excuse to walk in the woods with your rifle, to tell the wife...

Because you can't bait bear and you can't use dogs on cougars...

At a wildlife rehab place that our Boy Scout unit is doing some community service work on, I went up to look at the cougars that they have in outdoor cages, with roofs over them.. they were not lit on the inside...

I walked right up to the fence and was looking in at the cougar in the far pen... and I never saw the cougar in the front pen even move, as it was laying in a shallow depression right at my feet.. just looking at me!!!

And the liberals keep clamouring that there are no records of cougars attacking human beings in Oregon...

In the wild, I could have tripped on this animal and never knew it, until it knocked me over and took a bite to break my neck instantly..

The staff said this animal is weighed once a month... it was an abandoned pet some local morons had.... it weighs 185 lbs....

several years ago, I saw the remains of a llama that a cougar had killed an drug up a tree... the cat was later shot when it returned to kill another one...it weighed 100lbs.. the llama it had killed and drug up a tree weighed 400 lbs...

two years ago also, at my son's school they were sending out warnings to the parents, as they were finding cougar tracks and cougar scat on the elementary school play ground several mornings and later found the remains of a deer killed the night before by a cougar....

Personally, I am becoming more and more of a varmint hunter.. NO SEASON.. NO Limits..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Feral pigs in California are always open. No limit. And our weather never gets much worse than a high of 50 degrees during the day. Some pretty good rain storms now and then but no snow.

Email anytime if I can be of help.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
I am speculating but I think those private landowners are charging a hefty trespass fee. I saw some cow elk hunts in the classifieds of the Rocky Mountain News for $750. If your interested I could look them up for you. I'd bet if you called them you might be able to talk them down to $500, maybe less...

JOIN SCI!

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Muzzle loading and then a doe season here in Missouri.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

It's just my opinion, but I think you will be dissapointed in the quality of meat taken on those January hunts. The only bad (tough) elk meat I ever had came from a cow I killed in mid-November after a month of deep snow and -10 temps north of Craig. By January, in those conditions--which would include much of western and northern Colorado--you are looking at significant reductions in muscle mass and zero insulating fat. Even here in Eastern Colorado, there is a huge difference in the fat layer between the early plains season (late October) and the early December hunt.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
You can hunt some giant mule deer south of the border in January. I actually know an outfitter that has a couple of openings if anybody is interested. The openings are on a couple of good ranches. PM me if interested and I will give you his name and numbers

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Might do some phesant hunting back home, and my Dad still has a season choice deer tag that we can go out for black powder. Don't know if Dad will have a gun yet or not.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come to Texas and help us get rid of some of the ferral pigs. They are everywhere.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
for those with feral pigs in texas... how's a guy go about getting permission and all that for a decent spot, if, say, he wanted to get his dad and father-in-law together for a hunt? what do you guys charge for a pig hunt? we're a pretty self sustaining group of responsible, experienced hunters, just have never hunted together before.

heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a ton of hunting opportunities still available. Here in SC you can hunt deer until Jan 1. with a 2/day, 10/season limit. Hogs can be hunted year-round on private land and up into Feb. or Mar. on WMA depending on which zone you're hunting. Deer hunting in Texas runs into Jan. (maybe later depending on where you hunt) as well. Hogs can be hunted there year-round on private land and they're completely infested with them. Same deal in Florida. Texas also has exotics available year-round.

There are many other opportunities in other parts of the country too. Those are just the states that I have lived and hunted in and have knowledge of.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to what Bloodnativ said regarding SC, in the extreme southern portions of the state, the season starts on August 15th running to Jan. 1st with no breaks and any method of legal weapons. Also, there is no limit on bucks in those southern portions (except WMAs).

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote