New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yukon VS Alaska for Moose hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ive been wondering if one place offers an advantage the other doesn't?

Weather?

Average size of antlers?

What about on a combined hunt, say with Dall sheep or Caribou?

Both locations are a dream hunt for me, and I'm thinking more and more seriously about it now....

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would add the Northwest Territories to your research. Some really good outfitters in the NWT. One issue you may run in to on a mixed bag hunt is the prime moose hunting is a bit late for ideal weather conditions for mountain sheep. Caribou and moose are probably a better option for a mixed bag since both may be in the rut at the same time.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted moose numerous times in both places...both offer great hunting adventures and opportunities! Weather is similar...really depends mostly on your specific hunt when you're there. Some weeks its great, others its terrible.

Both also offer a wide variety of the potential options you mention...including potential trophy size, so it would be best to narrow down a couple of things.

1. When do you definitely want to go?
2. What size trophy are YOU looking for?
3. Be specific about the potential combo you want, if in fact you want one. Combo sheep hunts are never easy / ideal.
4. Pricing varies too...so what's your budget?
5. Do you want a horseback hunt, a lodge/cabin hunt, an argo / boat hunt?
6. Are you going alone, or bringing a buddy?

More realistic combo options would be moose/caribou, or moose/grizzly bear...IMO.

Just some things to consider.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

I would ask you all the same questions questions that Aaron did. I also agree a moose and a grizzly or brown bear is a much easier combo than trying to do a sheep and a moose. If you want a sheep I suggest you make it your priority and book the best hunt you can. If you can combine it with other animals that's great but book the hunt dates etc around the sheep.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12847 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the NWT are also a Good Place for a Combo hunt https://www.huntnahanni.com/si...0Report%202019_0.pdf

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I know Werner Ansbacher pretty well for dall sheep. If I could afford a guided hunt for sheep I'd pick him, but I'd say he has taken some really ugly rams up there.

Moose, the problem with Alaska is that you need a fly out in a really good area, that is pretty far from local pressure. In the Yukon this isn't such a big problem as long as you can get away from the road system.

There are fewer people in the Yukon than there are in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Spoke to Scoup Lake Outfitters tonight.

Sounds like a single species moose hunt is $14,000. Not sure if that includes the charter from Watson Lake or not.

Combo moose-goat is $20,000.

Trying to figure out a way to make that work for 2022.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Spoke to Scoup Lake Outfitters tonight.

Sounds like a single species moose hunt is $14,000. Not sure if that includes the charter from Watson Lake or not.
You can't go wrong with Darwin and Wendy, good luck.
Combo moose-goat is $20,000.

Trying to figure out a way to make that work for 2022.

You can't go wrong with Scoop Lake. Darwin and Wendy are top notch

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote