THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Climbing tree stand use after hip replacement?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Climbing tree stand use after hip replacement?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I am about to get a hip replaced, and I just had the thought that my days of using a climbing tree stand to hunt the suburban Maryland whitetail deer might be over. Has anyone had a hip replaced and still use a climbing tree stand? It seems like it might be asking for a dislocation. The managed hunt program I participate in requires their use.
Thanks,
Rich in MD

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know people with hip and others with knee replacements. They continue to hunt from stands.

Don't blow off your therapy. Work at it and you will be fine.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s good to know, thanks. I do plan to take the physical therapy seriously.

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't do like I've been doing with this
R knee. Five times into that joint. Two
replacements to the same one.

Fell in early Nov and broke a plastic part.
had it replaced Jan. Damned if I didn't
fall on both this morning. Am crippled up
again. Don't think I tripped, just don't know
what happened this time.

Had L2-3 fused last Wed. Don't seem to have
hurt the back.

I'd bet you could discuss this with the board
in charge of the hunting area and get some
change made so you won't have to climb.

Good luck all the way around.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had both hips replaced. No problem using a climber !

Hang on TITE !!

posted Hide Post
Been a year and a half since my left hip replacement, I used ladder stands and climbing sticks this past season with no problems. I also have an inversion table which I have used since my hip replacement with no problems. So I would think using a climber would be no problem, just wear that safety harness. I feel a full recovery takes a year for this surgery, even though I was good after the first month, which is why I chose to have it done at the end of November, had 11 months to recover before deer season started the following year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a hip replaced in December, went hunting in Namibia for 2 weeks the following March. Take your PT seriously, continue your exercises after they release you from therapy!

It’s a year and a half since my surgery and I can do anything I want. Using a climber should be no problem.

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is great info, thanks for all the replies. George, sorry to hear about the knee, hope it heals up soon. Given the timing, I will play it safe this fall but am now optimistic about next year. I do plan to run it by deer management leaders in case they have a short term option for this fall.
Rich in MD

one of us
posted Hide Post
All ya gotta do is cowboy up! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Had hip replacement 20 years ago. I have used a climber,back country hunt Elk on and on.
After surgery I went to a trainer and told him I wanted to go right up to the edge to get going. I did that and never looked back. If I didn't tell you I had it you would probably never know. I have joint xrayed every year before I go to the mountains put my pack on and start training. You have to be willing to go through the pain/discomfort to get to the other side.
Tally Ho!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
A lot of people swear by the new harness system. I do not see how that is comfortable. I feel secure in my Summit.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I had my right hip replaced about 5 years ago. No issues.

However, I went beyond the recommended 25 session therapy. Hired a private therapist after the insurance one for daily sessions, also had a private trainer working with me as well.

As a result about 8 months after surgery I had greater flexibility and strength than before the surgery. So, after surgery rehab is very important.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I also love my Lone Wolf due to its weight but it is not comfortable.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went on a guided elk hunt 2 months after hip replacement. We used horses and was on horseback for up to 12 hours each day. Bwfore th replacement, I was limping badly, but still maintained an aggressive walking exercise routing. First day riding into camp, a 6 hour ride, I needed help just to get my leg over the horses back to dismount. By 5th day of hunt, I was doing fine and completed the hunt and loved the whole experience. You can do it if you work on some walking exercise first.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My mistake was putting off getting a hip replaced about a year sooner (stubburness). Then two years later a knee replacment. Push hard on the rehab....ask for the good drugs and go hard. I'm pain free and have no problem climbing into stands.

My wife had a knee replaced and didn't do the rehab as hard as she should have early on and has paid the price ever since. The first 6 weeks is crucial; pain is your friend during that time.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
I went on a guided elk hunt 2 months after hip replacement. We used horses and was on horseback for up to 12 hours each day. Bwfore th replacement, I was limping badly, but still maintained an aggressive walking exercise routing. First day riding into camp, a 6 hour ride, I needed help just to get my leg over the horses back to dismount. By 5th day of hunt, I was doing fine and completed the hunt and loved the whole experience. You can do it if you work on some walking exercise first.

That is called fun physical therapy.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Thanks for sharing everyone. It has been two weeks since the hip replacement surgery and I am almost finished with the cane. Physical therapy is hard but good. Yes pain was a bit of a friend this last few weeks but it is better by the hour. I might look into a late season muzzleloader hunt this fall! I appreciate all of the encouragement!
Thanks,
Rich in Md