New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer baiting info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for info/advice/secrets on baiting free range South Carolina low country white tails.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mike, is this property a place you are familiar with? If so, where ever the does are found the bucks will be looking for them. Far more reliable than a food type bait IMO.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Mike, is this property a place you are familiar with? If so, where ever the does are found the bucks will be looking for them. Far more reliable than a food type bait IMO.

True

My goal in baiting is mainly attract the does.

If the does are around and well fed and comfortable. The buck will get stupid once the rut starts.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used timed feeders, early morning, late afternoon.Your biggest problem with corn will be the pigs will consume it as fast as you put it out once they find it. That is if your property has pigs.
If you have a a good mast crop , they will go to the mast and leave the corn alone when the mast( acorns, persimmons, food plots)drops or matures in plots.
I hunt a plantation with 8000+_ acres and have for 36 years, and the above has been my experience.
Hogs will be your biggest problem, you need t eradicate them for a good deer herd.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During the rut, I usually hunt between 10 am and 2-3 pm around the water and food source.

ProTip try peanut butter. Nail the lid to a tree about 3-4 ft high ,screw the jar on the topping poke holes in the bottom , it will drip in the hot weather and they will lock it as the weather gets colder.

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

True

My goal in baiting is mainly attract the does.

If the does are around and well fed and comfortable. The buck will get stupid once the rut starts.

Mike

Actually, knowing their bedding areas have been most productive for me. Rutting bucks quickly learn where the does bed and troll them looking for receptive does.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
SWEET HORSE CHOW...

dump it anywhere, they will find it within a few hours.. but so will bears, so pay attention.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1959 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas ranches in the HIll country build a 4 ft. high round pen wire fence to keep the hogs out, the deer can jump in and out, An battery powered feeder goes off twice a day, morn and nite..100 yards away is a blind to shoot from..Much of this area can only be hunted in this method, brush to thick and 100% thorn bush..Check your state laws first of all, and this works best on private land, corn is your best bait..If you don't have or can't afford a battery powered feeder, the bury a coke box ( the old wooden ones) level to the ground and fill it with corn, only deer can feed from it if you keep it half full...Ive shot and culled many deer from these set ups..It is not my preferred method of buck hunting however, and if the terrain allows it I prefer to walk and hunt..Its a great way to cull large numbers of deer however...That's about all I know about it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Selenium block

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Its a little different down there than the rest of the world. Rifle season is not far away for SC.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I imagine they are still in velvet. I would also think there are plenty of hogs.

In my experience, putting out a lot of feed attracts hogs. It is pretty easy to set up hog panels. If you want, I’ll send you pics of my set ups. They keep the hogs out.

If the horns are still in velvet, the bucks may well come to protein before they will come to corn. It absolutely happens at my place. Give Antler Max a try. Let me give you an example. I have a protein feeder with at least 11 bucks on it. Not a single one of those bucks shows at a corn feeder 200 yards away.

Down here once the horns get hard, that changes .

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
SWEET HORSE CHOW...

dump it anywhere, they will find it within a few hours.. but so will bears, so pay attention.

My wife loves to watch deer across our lake. In the summer we generally put out 100 pounds of shelled corn every 2 days. Neighbor said to try horse feed. It cost twice as much as corn. We spread one 50 pound bag and it was still there a week later and it was right beside the corn.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corn works on deer all year around in Texas, that's all people use and the stores are full of corn that time of year..Ive never shot over anything else, but Texas has a high deer count compared to other states..Not unusual to see 20 does and 10 bucks or more in the morning and at least that many in the evening..Finding a huge buck on a low fenced ranch is difficult but Ive always managed in the course of a weeks hunting. Im hunting on family ranches or ranches that belong to family friends.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw game cam pictures.

Bucks licking salt and eating corn.

No pictures on peanut butter but 8 peanut butter jars were cleaned out.

500 plus pounds of corn out.

Peanut butter jars out.

Corn with supplements for flavor out in 2 different piles.

All ready to start hunting in 7 hours.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LC deer season in SC started yesterday thru Jan. 1, 2020.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where its legal, pour about 3 or 4 bags of salt on the ground, when it rains it will melt an leech into the ground and you will have a salt lick for a lifetime or two...works on deer and elk, but check your local laws before you do it.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 deer shot.

4 on bait. 3 corn and 1 salt.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I recently added shelled peanuts from last year’s crop to my bait piles. These peanuts are almost a year old and moderately moldy. The deer( and raccoons, possums, and foxes) are ignoring the corn and chowing down on peanuts. Luckily for me, my BIL has a trailer loaded down with several thousands pounds of this stuff. No more corn to buy!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote