THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    U.S. Air Force Airman has fatal fall while bowhunting in the Florida Mountains

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Air Force Airman has fatal fall while bowhunting in the Florida Mountains
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.demingheadlight.co...ountains/3653159001/

U.S. Air Force Airman has fatal fall while bowhunting in the Florida Mountains

USAF Airman based in Clovis, NM

Bill Armendariz
Deming Headlight

DEMING – A bowhunter has died in the Florida Mountains. The range is located 12 miles southwest of Deming, NM.

An Air Force Airman from Clovis, NM, age 22, fell 100 feet and died when emergency personnel and Luna County Sheriff’s deputies were able to reach him.

According to LCSO reports, a call came in at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, October 9, of a hunter falling off the mountain. The accident occurred two miles from the Mahoney Park area on the mountain’s westside.

The deceased and a friend were hunting exotic Bezoar Ibex (Persian Ibex) on the rugged cliffs of the Floridas (Flo-ree-dahs). The Ibex were brought to the mountain range in 1970 as an exotic hunt. The numbers quickly grew and by 1974 the first Ibex exotic hunt was allowed.

The report indicated the hunter had slipped and fell approximately 100 feet onto rocks below. New Mexico Game and Fish officers, New Mexico State Police and a paramedic were on-scene when deputies arrived.

“This is very difficult terrain and dangerous,” LCSO Captain Michael Brown told the Headlight. “Unfortunately, we get called at least once a year about hikers and hunters who are involved in accidents on this treacherous mountain range.”

The name of the deceased hunter has not been released at this time, as the United States Air Force is involved in the investigation and to notify the next of kin.

Deputies, emergency personnel and the airman’s friend repelled down to retrieve the reach the airman. The airman had suffered a head injury. Medical attention was administered at 8:50 p.m., and the airman was pronounced deceased at 9:16 p.m.

LCSO deputies and emergency personnel made their way down the mountain with the airman at 12:12 a.m. on Saturday and transported him at 3:30 a.m.

“The emergency manager wrote a commendation for our deputies involved in this incident,” Capt. Brown said. “There was a lot of effort and determination to get him off the mountain.”

Bill Armendariz can be reached at 575-546-2611 (ext. 2606) or biarmendariz@demingheadlight.com.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's really rough, steep country.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You never know...

I was almost killed on Oct 4; got a new high performance road bike the day before and took it for a ride in South Mountain Park. Was on the San Juan loop, which is closed to traffic, and moving right along when two coyotes ran in front of me; one slipped on the road and fell on its side. I hit one and remember nothing else until the ambulance arrived 25 minutes later.

Suffered 7 broken ribs, a shattered clavicle, and a broken scapula. I had surgery the next day to fix my clavicle.

I was supposed to head to our place in CO for an elk hunt three days later but needless to say that hunt was cancelled.

Just lucky I didn't land on my head; given the damage I suffered to the left side of my body, I am quite sure I would have broken my neck.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things like that can sure happen.

Hey AZ: IF you haven't, get that tag mailed
back to CPW for a refund, ask them to reinstate your points too.

I've had to send tags back twice over health
issues. Don't wait til season is over though.

Good luck on healing it all up. Ribs are a long
term thing.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was almost killed on Oct 4; got a new high performance road bike the day before and took it for a ride in South Mountain Park. Was on the San Juan loop, which is closed to traffic,

Did you have any armor on

I always ride with mine and a very good helmet.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently mentioned on one website that the Floridas are a place where I would not consider hunting alone. Condolences to the family.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn.

AAZW.....holy sheeit. No predicting that kinda thing. I bet those rib fx will be a good incentive to consider the body armor.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 245 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not being familiar with the area being discussed, when I saw the thread title I thought, "Where in hell did he find a mountain to fall off in Florida?"
Some pretty rigged country for sure. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3491 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bull Sprig/PD/Georgeld:

I did not have armor on as I have never seen road bikers use it, but I will definitely get some if I continue to ride, and get some for my mountain bike. I need to slow down when going downhill; I was actually very close to being killed (if my head would have hit first instead of my left shoulder it would have broken my neck). I was wearing a helmet.

I did mail in my tag with the medical form.

The broken ribs are painful, but breaking my scapula is the bigger deal right now; I cannot lift my left arm high enough to hold a long arm.

I can tell you what though...seeing all the young soldiers who have suffered limb losses via IEDs and keep driving on is inspirational - what do I have to complain about?? God bless them.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your wreck John. I've been there myself. Pretty scary to go through a major crash like that.

Hope you mend up well and soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Sorry to hear about your wreck John. I've been there myself. Pretty scary to go through a major crash like that.

Hope you mend up well and soon.

Thanks Todd. At least I didn't have a 21 day in the books. Ironically, in the past, I have deferred bike riding a month prior to a big hunt in lieu of running or hill climbing due to the risk.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ouch, AAZW. Maybe switch to a horse, eh? Eeker

Hope you heal up fast.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Ouch, AAZW. Maybe switch to a horse, eh? Eeker

Hope you heal up fast.

Was on a horse in the Selway some years back, riding out after a successful hunt, when a bunch of bees or hornets started stinging our packstring. My horse started to buck and I got tossed off. Knowing I was never a candidate for the PBR championship, I bailed off the uphill side. I had a camera around my neck and landed on it. Bruised my chest but that was about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was on a horse in the Selway some years back, riding out after a successful hunt, when a bunch of bees or hornets started stinging our packstring. My horse started to buck and I got tossed off. Knowing I was never a candidate for the PBR championship,

Had the same thing happen when my sister and were riding. Horses stepped on a yellow jacket nest.

In thick woods and brush trying to ride it out would have meant serious injury.

Being only 13 or 14 at the time I was very fast and agile. I yelled at my sister jump.

We drove and rolled and let the horses run.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John- Had a friend and his wife hit a moose at twilight on a road bike. Another hit a deer. Cured me in a permanent fashion. You are a very lucky man.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
The Florida mountains are to be taken seriously. Some really steep and treacherous parts, and the Ibex seem to hang out in just those places. Loose rocks as well. All told, bowhunting Ibex means getting close and there is more risk in that terrain than most people think. They're not that high, but they are that steep !

Condolences to the family and friends of the Airman. A really sad time for them all.

Posts: 724 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's where they have transplanted persian ibex.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote