THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    HUNT REPORT: Utah Book Cliffs Bull ("Megatron")

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUNT REPORT: Utah Book Cliffs Bull ("Megatron")
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Clay Mckeachnie - Book Cliffs Hunting (Main Canyon Ranch Guides and Outfitters). http://bookcliffshunting.com/Home.html
Phone: 970-640-7281
Email: clay@bookcliffshunt.com

Professional Hunter: Clay Mckeachnie is the outfitter and PH – that is, the man with the skills and brains behind the operation. Be sure to hunt with Clay. He is the grandson of Burt DeLambert, owner of the Main Canyon Ranch. Clay basically grew up in the Book Cliffs spending every summer on the ranch through his school years. Clay moved his family to the Ranch in January of 2002 and has been living there year round ever since. Clay and Becky Mckeachnie have four children Kyler, Madison, William, and Andrew who you will see throughout his website. No one spends more time in this area than Clay. Due to the vast expanse of the cattle operation, he has been into every canyon and across every ridge in the Book Cliffs. He has a great deal of pride when it comes to this area, and a true desire to be the best guide in the area – his success proves that he is the best guide in the area.

Booking Agent: Myself

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 24-105 mm Zoom EF IS.

Rifle, Caliber and Scope: Remington 700, in .338 RUM with a Swarovski 3-18x Z6 scope.

Ammo: Home Reloaded 225 gr. TTSX, 97 grs. Re25, 3175 fps.

Binoculars: Leica Geovid 8x56mm

Area hunted: Book Cliffs Utah

Animals hunted and bagged: Bull ELK (SCI measured 370” plus, actually 379"), Utah land owners tag purchased from Clay.

Other animals spotted: A myriad of mule deer and a mountain lion.

Accommodation, food and other facilities: I hunted out of base camp located at Main Canyon Ranch, which is a working cattle and horse operation that has been in the outfitter’s family for over 31years. Essentially, you share the family quarters during the hunt. The food was excellent and plenty, so was the service. The hunting vehicles were the latest Chevy truck 4X4s. The staff was professional and friendly.

The Hunt: We were up early opening day glassing a sundry of “secret” hotspots. We worked hard. Much of the hunt was on public land, but private land was also available. The Book Cliffs area is exclusively managed as a limited entry trophy area by the state of Utah, and it has never be subjected to the general Utah hunt – many trophies in the area grow old and die of old age.

We hunted 3 days and spotted elk often, turning down a number of smallish 330” bulls waiting for something 350” or better. We spotted two big ones – one roughly 360” but he gave us the slip, but not the second, a measured SCI 370” plus “megatron.” He gave us a chase but eventually succumbed to one shot from the 338 RUM. Clay and colleagues used bull and cow elk calls to help locate the bulls. Clay and his staff were extraordinary at spotting game.

Here's "MEGATRON" (we'd been watching the Detroit Lions the night before).

An early morning photo. Note the incredible G3's!!

Here is Clay and Becky with William (!future elk riding rodeo star!) and Andrew - the youngest. Hunting with Clay is a family sport. William seemed unafraid of the gun, but he'd checked it to make sure it was not loaded and the bolt was open before he climbed on the elk to bull-dog it - clearly smart beyond his years. Too bad many "adult" hunters fail to check to see if their guns are unloaded before they play with them - I actually shot (and successfully killed) my own livingroom TV once. How embarrassing, but nobody was hurt, and the bullet did not fail, like many bullets discussed on this forum.

This is the happy hunter (AIU), who needed all the help he could get. Andrew was confidently surveying the scene and Kace (Clay's cousin) was getting ready to skin and clean a rather large bull, estimated to weigh on the hoof 900 lbs., and these ranchmen and horsemen knew how to estimate weights of large cloven hoofed animals. I thought it was 1200 lbs (at least it seemed that heavy when I tried to move it), but I was politely corrected by the cattlemen. 900 lbs is big enough.

Clay was convinced he'd found the sheds from this bull from prior years - the pattern seemed convincing. Clearly, Clay has patterned the bulls in his area - very impressive.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great story and pictures, really great lookingh bull. Congratulations tu2 tu2 beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Noel,

That is an awesome bull! Please, tell us about the shot, range, angle, bullet performance, rifle, etc. Didn't you take a dandy buck in the Cliffs last year? Hope you got a trophy room big enough for Megatron!

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull, congrats!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great elk and GREAT photos! Congratulations, I've got elk fever so bad I can't stand it!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! I hope to see his cousin in about a month!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
What a bull! Congratulations!

Posts: 2090 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Noel,

That is an awesome bull! Please, tell us about the shot, range, angle, bullet performance, rifle, etc. Didn't you take a dandy buck in the Cliffs last year? Hope you got a trophy room big enough for Megatron!

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes, I did get a dandy muley (SCI 181.5 inches, likely 180" B&C since it was very symmetrical) last year with Clay. SEE BELOW.

The buck was shot at about 100 yds with a 30-06 Ackley Improved, 165 gr. Accubond, loaded to about 3200 fps with 69 grs. MRP.

The bull was shot at about 150 yds. The bull was with a bunch of cows (his brain was on auto-pecker control), and he was quartering away from me when I shot.

The bullet traversed the rib cage, passing across the high thorax from a right posterior entrance wound to an exit wound just anterior to the left shoulder. He ran but only lasted about 15 seconds before he died.

There was a cookie-cutter like, punched-out hole (1.5 inches diameter) in the right posterior rib case and an essentially identical 1.5 inch diameter exit wound in the left anterior rib cage.

Total pass through - devastaing damage and very humane death. The 338 RUM packs a massive wallop!

The gun is a Rem 700 long action converted to 338 and 416 RUM (I have two after-market Lilja barrels, both 26", finished 0.8 inches at the muzzle). The action has been trued and squared with both barrels, the stock is a glass-bedded HS precesion, and the trigger is Jewell set at 1/2 lb. I like a light trigger - helps prevent flinching.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
Great elk and GREAT photos! Congratulations, I've got elk fever so bad I can't stand it!

Greg

Gregg, I'm getting MOOSE FEVER so bad I can hardly stand it. Some day I want to hunt with you. Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
That is the perfect BULL!!! Huge congrats...I personally would much rather do that than moose...something about that bugle...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a curiosity question but why are your scores SCI? Very nice animals.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Man What a Bull...Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:

Randy, I like the SCI system better than the B&C, which puts too much emphasis on symmetry. AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:

Randy, I like the SCI system better than the B&C, which puts too much emphasis on symmetry. AIU

thank you for the answer and congratulations again

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Is that the remains of a drop tine on his left main?

A real beauty of a bull - congrats! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
Great Cliff's bull. Congrats!

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ants, not your perfect drop tine, but a "funny" ridge-like tine extending along the underside of the left antler from the base to G3. Not sure how to measure it, but it "adds" a few inches I guess. AIU

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL bull!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post