Interisting black bear video
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This video shows typical black bear precatory behavior video at the bottom

08/29/2015 05:12PM

WATCH: Amazing Video of Woman Hiking With Bears
Patch ^ | http://cdn.patch.com/users/103...50855e0f1e898df4.png | Tim Jensen

The trails have been closed indefinitely at Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area in Burlington after a bear approached a hiker.

Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) has closed hiking trails at Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area (WMA) in Burlington due to the apparent bold behavior of a black bear there that followed and approached a female hiker early Friday afternoon.

DEEP’s Wildlife staff say the male bear – which is approximately 1 ½ years old and possibly weighs about 150 pounds – followed the woman for quite some time shortly after noon. It also approached and circled her when she stopped walking and at one point it appears that its mouth made contact with the hiker’s leg. The hiker was not injured in the incident.

Video of the bear taken by the woman, Stephanie Rivkin, showed tags on its ears that had been placed there by DEEP staff in previous dealings with the bear. DEEP records show the bear was first tagged as a yearling in its winter den, as part of the agency’s effort to track the bear population, and was also captured and relocated at least one other time.

Rivkin said when the bears approached her, she thought, “This is something I’ll never forget. Please God let me get back to my car.”

She said she’s received some negative feedback concerning her video.

“For all of the people who don’t know the whole story, yet are posting ridiculous comments about me, I will post the rest of the videos so you can see for yourself that I did nothing to antagonize or even approach the bears. I also had no bad intentions when I reported the bears. And stated very clearly that I did not want any harm to come to the bears. That part is beyond my control,” Rivkin said.

Rivkin’s friend Crista N Oronde Moore wrote on Stephanie’s Facebook page, “So happy she is ok and impressed on how calm she remained, that may just be what prevented her from being hurt!”

DEEP has posted signs at Sessions Woods notifying hikers that the trails there are closed until further notice.

DEEP spokesman Dennis Schain said, “DEEP staff had a chance to talk with this woman after her encounter with the bear. We are relieved she was not injured. This was certainly an unusual incident as bears do not often approach people.”

Schain added, “We did respond immediately when woman made it to our building at Sessions. Our Wildlife staff went out right away to try to locate and euthanize the bear. They saw it but were not able to take action before it disappeared into dense woods. We did set a trap at that location. Our EnCon officers and Wildlife biologists are keeping an eye out for the bear and will respond to any reports of its presence. We will euthanize it if we have the opportunity to do so. That is the appropriate action to take after seeing this bear’s predatory behavior today.”

http://www.freerepublic.com/%5...woman-hiking-bears-0

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that many are terrified by the thought of a bear. This one demonstrated behaviour one shouild expect from a 1.5 year old bear. On his own for the first time he can be curios , playfull ,. But running turns on his predator/prey system !! A strong whistle like a Storm would send them running off into the woods.
She did OK. wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
The problem is that many are terrified by the thought of a bear. This one demonstrated behaviour one shouild expect from a 1.5 year old bear. On his own for the first time he can be curios , playfull ,. A strong whistle like a Storm would send them running off into the woods.
She did OK. wave

I expect 1.5 year old bears to run the hell away from humans.

Playful my ass he was looking for a meal.

A bullet between the eyes would have been more appropriate that a whistle.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
1.5 years old and you think attacking people? I'll remember to keep you away from my prized bird dog puppies, small children and stuffed animals with open mouths and big soft, fuzzy white teeth, I think you'd hysterically put bullets in them all.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott what do you think it was doing.

The bear just wanted play right Dogs are not bears, bears are not dogs.

A 1.5 year bear or a dog can inflict horrible bites. Maybe you should ask Cynthia Dusel-Bacon who was attacked and partial eaten by a bear about 175 lbs.

Yep just a fuzzy ferry forest creature doing what a fuzzy furry forest creature does.

Here's some interesting research dealing with predatory attacks.

You can play with a 100 to 150lb bear if you want personally if they get that close to me I am taking appropriate action.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/re.../05/110511074807.htm

Hers some more

The bear, a 150-pound male, was killed by a Fallsburg police ... The last known attack in which a human was killed by a bear in New York was in 1987, ...

nytimes.com/2002/08/20/nyregion/catskill-bear-snatche

Woman Survives Bear Attack. Sections. Sections; Top Stories; ... but what a bully," Hansen said. But the 150-pound bear was no small wonder compared to the ...

abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5504699&page=1

Bear attacks and wounds hiker at Douthat State Park - Roanoke ...☑

Bear attacks and wounds hiker at ... described the bear as a female 150 to 200 pounds that may have pursued the woman because members of the group ...

roanoke.com/news/virginia/bear-attacks-and-wounds-hik...

Ouch: Local Man Tells Bear Attack Tale « Jack Seattle FM☑

Bellevue City Councilman John Chelminiak has survived the worst of hiking nightmares: an attack by a 150-pound bear. Within seconds, he was fighting for his life.

jackseattle.cbslocal.com/2010/10/07/ouch-local-man-tells-bear-atta...

Don't know how many more you want but they are out there

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
1 1/2 years old.

You've gone to great lengths to make yourself look pretty silly.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that I would have hollered and thrown things at that bear to discourage him...unlike that person's behavior. If that failed, it would have become a dead bear prior to nibbling on my leg.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
The bear has eartags which usually means its been in trouble before. It's proof it's had human contact. It needs killed if it comes up a nips the leg of a walking lady even though she is an idiot. I do feel that a strong firm voice would have solved the issue but that bear is on the wrong side of nature.

Todd

A funny story was related to me a few years back. Seems local wildlife officials did some ordinary bear dart, study and tag 'em kinda stuff around here. Apparently one bear darted was a sow with cubs. While the Wildlife folks worked over the sow, the cubs were nearby and the helo pilot had to keep shoo'ing them away from the helo as they wanted to get up inside and look around. I'm under the impression pdog would have blasted them both! "Predatory behavior on the part of those marauding cubs!

Rational people know that sometimes kids are just kids and don't know any better. Many of us have had fawns and calves that haven't been introduced to people come nearer to us than their parents would? Young ducks and geese aren't as wary as adults? Its unfortunate the lady in the news article didn't rap the cub a good one across the nose with a rolled up newspaper and chase it off into the woods. Fear of people is obviously something Momma ain't taught it yet.

Or just blast them all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First off this bear wasn't a cub in most states the definition of a cub is one less than a year old.

A year and half old bear around here well field dress around 100 plus pounds live weight some where near 130 to 150.

Legal game here I seen quite of few weighed at the registration stations.

That bear was well over a hundred pounds.

I agree if the women would have been aggressive towards this bear it most likely would have ran away.

But that doesn't change the facts that this bears behavior was predatory.

A couple month old critter is a whole lot different than one a year and half old.

I too have seen dozens of bears in the woods of all sizes.

The only ones I shot were done legally during hunting season.

This bears behavior was not normal or playful
bears around here run from people

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had a 150 lb.bear trying to get at my meat chickens by tearing the shed down they were in.I shot over its head for three days.The last day he destroyed my shed and charged me which earned him a head full of 00 buck.The DNR had no problem and I even got reimbursed for damages.Point being a bear of any size is nothing to mess with.You have no idea if they are rabid or just mean.Bears have 5 times the strength of a man.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That bear in the original post is far too used to human contact and will continue to be a problem until it is put down, most assuredly it will get braver and braver until someone is really hurt or he is dead.
I've never had any trouble with truly wild black bears, it is bears accustomed to humans that are trouble.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
First off this bear wasn't a cub in most states the definition of a cub is one less than a year old.

A year and half old bear around here well field dress around 100 plus pounds live weight some where near 130 to 150.

Legal game here I seen quite of few weighed at the registration stations.

That bear was well over a hundred pounds.

I agree if the women would have been aggressive towards this bear it most likely would have ran away.

But that doesn't change the facts that this bears behavior was predatory.

A couple month old critter is a whole lot different than one a year and half old.

I too have seen dozens of bears in the woods of all sizes.

The only ones I shot were done legally during hunting season.

This bears behavior was not normal or playful
bears around here run from people

A year and a half old deer is a fawn, a year and a half old elk or moose is a calf, a year and a half old bear is a cub. Yes it is true in many states including AK, fawns, calves and cubs are fair game, but you're shooting babies never the less.

Bears, and especially itty bitty tiny ones residing in urban areas like Connecticut, or in parks like Yosemite or Yellowstone or in real wilderness areas like rural AK sometimes don't run from people. Sure, I believe you when you say they run from you in Wisconsin, I'm thinking you spray the hillside anytime you think theres anything more aggressive than a field mouse out there. Heck Man, I'd boogie too! However, those bears not residing in townships that believe Dark Forces of Ursus Horribilis imminently threaten the survival of Man are sometimes not all educated up on fleeing upon sight of you.

A 150# 1 1/2 year old black bear, anywhere, any time, anyhow, is a little bitty fellow, a baby, a cub. In Alaska, in Florida, it ain't even a teenager, its a little kid.

Pdog, when you watch National Geographic videos of bear cubs rolling, wrestling, biting, swatting, and tussling with each other are you shouting at the screen, "BLAST 'EM, SHOOT 'EM, DEFEND YOURSELF!!!!!!".

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
quote:
A year and a half old deer is a fawn, a year and a half old elk or moose is a calf, a year and a half old bear is a cub. Yes it is true in many states including AK, fawns, calves and cubs are fair game, but you're shooting babies never the less.

Once again, Scott... I'm not trying to be confrontational with you but I've shot a lot of babies by those standards.. Loved every bite and I'm sure I'll shoot a lot more in my life, God willing. I spike bull, two point buck, yearling cow, young bear etc, are usually fawns to 100% trophy hunters. Us mere common man that hunt public land in units we can get a tag in more than once every 20 years feel pretty blessed to be able to hunt babies once in a while. We don't have the luxury or money to be trophy hunters all the time. I have a Colorado bear tag in my pocket that starts tomorrow and the first legal bear I see is getting dusted. Even if it's a 1.5 year old cub and momma is no where around. Guilt free.

Todd

I appreciate the sentiment and getting cross with you certainly isn't interesting to me either.

That being true, you're an Outdoorsman, you've mentioned experience with young, newly weaned game animals, would you agree calves, fawns, cubs and goslings don't usually exhibit the same wariness to Man that their more mature, older siblings or cousins do? I.e.,..... young geese are usually easier to decoy, old herd bull elk harder to stalk, calf bull moose will stand there and look at you longer, old moss back bucks don't feed out into the middle of the meadow in broad daylight and itty bitty bear cubs are usually not as cautious around people as say a 12 year old trophy size boar?

Is it "Predatory Behavior" on the part of the cub or simply immaturity and ignorance?

Its not that I simply find the world less frightening than others, its that its just not frightening.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The problem is that many are terrified by the thought of a bear. This one demonstrated behaviour one shouild expect from a 1.5 year old bear. On his own for the first time he can be curios , playfull ,. A strong whistle like a Storm would send them running off into the woods.

She did OK. wave

I expect 1.5 year old bears to run the hell away from humans.

Playful my ass he was looking for a meal.

A bullet between the eyes would have been more appropriate that a whistle.

same here. The greenies would be complaining. Mouth touches my body... playing or not, he is getting shot.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own close contact with bears ? They ignored me !
The link about Fallsburg NY is not complete.The media reports werenot good.It was a perfect example of the problems PEOPLE cause ! People on the scene didn't think the bear killed was the problem bear . People in that camp wouldn't put garbage in the dumpster they just threw it nearby.So food was always there along with the bears.Vitnesses weren't sure the bear knew what it grabed .

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I will give my opinion on two points.

First, the size of the bear. I have little doubt that the "little" bear was big enough to maim or kill that woman. That should say it all. In case it doesn't, in just about every place I have lived any black bear over 50 pounds met the legal hunting standard. That isn't the best size bear to go hunting for but in this case the bear was big enough to make a serious attack on a woman and big enough to shoot.

Second, was the bear playing or making predatory moves? This is a ridiculous question. Any play can instantly become an attack as can any potential predatory "testing". I would have tried to just back away out of the area. That is what is generally advised when black bears are encountered. Black bears are very unlikely to to attack. But black bears can attack and they DO kill people, at least 22 in the continental USA since 2000. If a bear doesn't keep its distance then you should defend yourself. If a bear bites you or gets hold of you then you've waited too long. If I was armed, and I most like would be, I would never let a bear come up to me like the one in the video no matter how slowly or innocently he was moving. Once a black bear attacks it will usually consume flesh unless stopped by the person attacked or by someone else. For that reason, most experts advise fighting back during a black bear attack. Playing dead will just make it easier for the bear to eat you.
quote:
US Forest Service - What to Do If You Meet A Black Bear

Every encounter with a black bear can be different, however, bears should always be considered unpredictable and dangerous. More often than not, a wild bear will detect you first and flee from the area. However, black bears that have become accustomed to humans and their foods may not run away. In these cases, certain precautions are offered for consideration

• Do not run. Remain calm, continue facing the bear and slowly back away.
  • Keep children and pets close at hand. [it is usually advised to take up and hold small children]
  • Make lots of noise. Yell, rattle pots and pans, whistle and break sticks.
  • Travel in groups.
  • Stand upright. Do not kneel or bend over. Wave arms, jackets or other materials.
  • Never approach or corner a bear.
  • Never offer food to a bear.
  • Be aware of the presence of cubs and never come between a bear and its cubs.
  • Fight back aggressively if a bear attacks you.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    The government never mentions carry a good quality fire arm with you.

quote:
    US Forest Service - What to Do If You Meet A Black Bear Every encounter with a black bear can be different, however, bears should always be considered unpredictable and dangerous. More often than not, a wild bear will detect you first and flee from the area. However, black bears that have become accustomed to humans and their foods may not run away. In these cases, certain precautions are offered for consideration Do not run. Remain calm, continue facing the bear and slowly back away. Keep children and pets close at hand. [it is usually advised to take up and hold small children] Make lots of noise. Yell, rattle pots and pans, whistle and break sticks. Travel in groups. Stand upright. Do not kneel or bend over. Wave arms, jackets or other materials. Never approach or corner a bear. Never offer food to a bear. Be aware of the presence of cubs and never come between a bear and its cubs. Fight back aggressively if a bear attacks you.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I'm a bear hunter first and foremost. I've been doing so consecutively for the past 30 years. Just yesterday, I visited my bait site to change my trail cam's card. From 1 an 1/2 week's pics, 38 pics were of bears and their activities. I've been hunting private property on the edge of a wilderness area for the past half-dozen years. Apart from some coons and three horses, 7, and perhaps 8 different bears produced the 38 pics. The first was a big sow with a yearling in tow (about 100 lbs). I wouldn't want to meet her in the dark! She was well in excess of 300 lbs.The second was a young male that standing upright on its hind legs went a bit over 7 feet (in excess of 200 lbs), the third was another sow (about 165 - 180 lbs) with two cubs of this year (6 months), another medium, youngish male (200 lbs) and a mature male (350 lbs or so) that only came to the bait near midnight.

Those 7 or eight bears produced the 38 photos, most during daylight hours. Except for the 2 certifiable cubs, I wouldn't want to meet up with any of them when leaving my stand in the dark! In daylight, my 9.3 X 62 will suffice! I don't trust bears, and I've killed perhaps more than my fair share.

I recently did research on bear killings" in North America and would have to say that they have risen in number over the past couple of decades in a near exponential manner, and have written about it in recent blogs.

I've followed Dr. Stephen Hererro's ideas since he started expounding on them. He's compiled data but that doesn't make him any more of an expert on bears than most others who have spent a lifetime hunting them. And, he's changed his position (as many wildlife biologists do with experience) from a near "bear's are harmless creatures until provoked" to "bear's are predators first and last". I personally know a retired professor of wildlife biology who maintains that cougar could not survive in Central Ontario because of the winters and depth of snow! I've seen their tracks in snow in March and had a friend who lived in that area who, with his wife, regularly saw a male and female outside his home in a remote area. So much for "experts"!

I don't know Scott King, but he needs to give his head a shake if he thinks 1 and 1/2 year old bears are "babies", and therefore harmless! Is a 100 - 150 lb cat a "baby" and therefore harmless?

Bob Mitchell

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Grenadier
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The government never mentions carry a good quality fire arm with you.
    But prudent persons know they can and they do.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I believe you have witnessed the behavior of a young bear from an un-hunted population. This behavior is unacceptable. An 'un-learned' bear in need some serious lethal learning.

I expect the bear population to continue its increase. I expect several human/bear tragedies to take place there. I hope at that time the bear population will become hunted and the survivors learn that proper behavior around humans is to leave.

I have been a serious bear hunter. The only bear I ever wanted dead was cleaned on a discarded basketball backboard. A yearling male. While approaching the tree, we could hear the bear come down and fight two dogs, climb up the tree and repeat. At the tree I asked my partner to take the bear. The bear had bitten both dogs repeatedly. (My partner had the kill tag) He wanted to know why we should take this little bear. I did not want this bear to get any bigger. If he had been 200 pounds, I would have had two dead dogs.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post

One of Us
    Picture of Grenadier
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said they had no option but to kill both bears because of their unusually aggressive behavior and the threat they posed to humans. According to a statement explaining their actions, DEEP said the bear that had sniffed at Rivkin had 'exhibited bold and aggressive behavior' towards a hiker.

Officials claimed that the same bear, sporting the ear tags 065, was well known to authorities. A spokesman said: 'This male bear had a history of aggressive behavior toward humans. It was captured, tranquilized and relocated from the perimeter fence at Bradley International Airport in June of this year. 'Later that month, it attempted to follow a woman into a building in Windsor. In July, it was suspected of entering a home in Granby.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...en-alive-humans.html

p-dog-shooter can smile now ! Big Grin

Just a fact of life.