New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning on savage axis rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There have been over 10 axis savage rifles that discharge when the bolt is being open to eject the live round .Alamosy all the people this happened to were injured.The brass blows all over the place .Millions of these rifles were sold .I am worried with the two savage model 11 260 rem rifles I have .So far this has only happened to the axis rifles .Alot of people use these to build rifles with .I just wanted to pass this on for everyone to be aware .I just saw it on Facebook it about blew the guys hand off and injuries g
His son also .It broke the stock and blew the scope off .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If true we should be seeing a recall soon.

Now days 10 rifle incidents should trigger it.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I have an Axis...

Do you have a link to the FB page ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
@SlamminSalmonGuideService had one blow up. There is an update with response from Savage.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yet again another reason the Mauser 98 is a far superior system. By design the firing pin of a Mauser 98 cannot protrude thru the bolt face while the bolt is being rotated open or in closing.

This means should the sear trigger engagement fail upon opening or closing the bolt, the firing pin physically cannot contact the primer.

Golly Wally why would anybody want that? Gee Beav maybe so it doesn't go off with the bolt open.

They literally thought of everything and did an incredible job of making the M98. Once you've studied the Mauser design in its entirety and understand why it is the way it is, only then can you truly appreciate it's incredible design.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Axis is another typical POS being mass produced to sell cheaply, but “Millions..sold”? Nowhere near even one million. Exaggeration depletes your argument.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done several searches and can't find any word about this. Even on the salmonslammer facebook, or other web searches.

I would like to read the Savage response and see some more info on it. If you have some links, please post them.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Federal Law that makes recalls in the Firearms industry voluntary. The Federal Government cannot order a recall like it can with automobiles.

The law is the Consumer Protection Act of 1972.

Posts: 10823 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They took it off there and there had been several other times this happened .People were saying that it looked like the bolt was not put together properly . They replaced the guys rifle but that is super scary .I have been really careful after reading it with my savage model 11 I. 260 .

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.I have been really careful after reading it with my savage model 11 I. 260 .

Are not the 110 series actions different then the axis actions

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for some credible information/verification of the issue. I wouldn't/don't consider faceplant FB to be a credible source.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the Facebook report from someone, not sure if it was SlaminSalmon or not. Both he and his son were injured. As I remember it the son shot his animal and told his father that the empty brass was stuck to the bolt. They removed the brass from the bolt and tried cycling a live round. When the brass was part way out of the chamber the round went off. Both father and son caught shrapnel from the cartridge case. He shipped the gun off to Savage and they shipped him a new gun.

I have two friends who have had Savage firearms let go on them. One caught pieces of the bolt in the side of the face and the other friend still has bits of the bolt in his abdomen. First friend got the rifle as a gift from his father after getting out of the service. Factory ammo used and the bolt let go when trying to do the initial sight in.
Second friend was developing loads for a new caliber. By his own admission he was not sure if he was overpressure or not.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope savage recalls these rifles .Its not worth the danger of having a blow up .It blew the scope off that one rifle and blew the stock in half .I saw where they thought the bolt was not put together right on those rifles .I really like my two savage model 11 260 rem rifles .I hope they never do that crap !

One Of Us
posted Hide Post