THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    First game animal harvested and the gun?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First game animal harvested and the gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just thinking about all the animals I've taking, I still remember my first kill. 35 years ago my brother Nathan and I went walking from my mom and dad's house (we lived a few miles out of town, my mom still stays there) with an old single shot 22 plinking at things. My brother Nate seen a cotton tail he hands me the 22 and says go get him. Took me 2 shots but I got him. I was so excited. I went home to tell my mom and waited for my dad to get off work to tell him. I'm glad I grew up in the outdoors here in the small town of Burns Oregon. 4 years later I lost my dad in an accident at work. He was working for the forest service, he would always take us in the forest to hunt, fish, camp, sledding and to get firewood. Whats your first animal takin and what weapon you used?

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot one hell of a lot of animals.

But: I've never "taken" any ever'.
Don['t know where our "taking them".

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I've shot one hell of a lot of animals.

But: I've never "taken" any ever'.
Don['t know where our "taking them".

George

Up here on in the arctic the natives say "caught" instead of "killed" or shot. For example: "I caught 3 tuttu(caribou)" or "our crew caught(killed and brought in) a whale".

Different people use different terms.

As to the question: A wild hog with a Rem 742 woodsmaster in 30-06. But if you want to be technical, My first kill was a blue jay with a Red Rider BB gun-I was six and I cried.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
A starling that was attempting a nest build through an attic vent in our home. Used a .22 cal Benjamin air rifle and made a solid hit. When the mate peered out from inside to see what was going on, I missed a head shot and blew out a wooden louver in the vent. Had my beloved rifle taken away for a week for shooting at the house.

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A field mouse in the chicken house with a Crossman .22 pellet pistol at about age 10. First with a firearm was a groundhog later that summer with my Dad's .22-250. First "game" animal was a cotton tail with a Remington Fieldmaster .22 that I had just received for my 12th birthday (I still own it).

When you are hunting waterfowl on the eastern shore of the Delmarva Peninsula, and it's time to shoot, the shot caller in the blind says: "take 'em." Game "taken" is the term most used around here. Of course, I "shoot" game also!

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Game animal of any kind, a valley quail with 12ga Ithaca Model 37 28 inch mod choke plain barrel in what is now unincorporated Santa Clarita, CA

Big game animal - Cow elk with a Marlin 336c in 35 Remington, topped with a Weaver 4x widefield @ about 125 yards. Location south of Hayden, CO.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
First game animal was a mallard drake with my grandad's .410 break action single shot.

First big game animal was a cow elk shot with an old PSE bow that I got from that same grandad before he died. The elk came after; I sure wish he had been around to see me put it to good use.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I first animal was a groundhog that was in the apple orchard with a 22 Stevens bolt action rifle. My 1st big game animal was a whitetail buck---with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First game animal was a squirrel with a .22. I was 16. First big game was one year later with 7RM; antelope near Gillette, WY. A kid across the street and I went, but since he was only 15, I did the entire drive in his dad's station wagon.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Game animal" can be relative to time, place and age of hunter. I got my first 22 when I was 8. It was a brand new shiny Sears Roebuck gun and I loved it. That same winter a rat took up residence in our entryway. My Dad thought it would be a fine idea for me to shoot the rat with my new 22. Boy! I was excited. We went out in the entryway and Dad kicked some boxes and the rat ran up inside a curled flag that set in the corner. Dad shook the flag and out comes the rat. Bang! From the hip and I killed the rat. The whole thing in hindsight was a bad idea and probably dangerous mostly for my Dad but it might have been the most exciting hunt I've ever had.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot many non-game 'birds' starting at 7. Should have had my #$%^ kicked for shooting robins.

First game animal was when I was 12 years old, a dove with a Model Remington 1100 that my dad gave me (he got it from his dad when he turned 18). I was so excited when I found it.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
My first game animal was a squirrel shot with a Remington 11-48 28 gauge. I was a third-grader, but was a big kid, so the gun fit me pretty well.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never harvested a single animal!

I shot a lot though.

First one was a gazelle with a Browning 22 rim fire.

Dead with one shot.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gray squirrel in Siskiyou County, long ago.
Rifle was a Remington 510P, still in the family.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Song birds with a BB gun. (Statute of Limitations applies since that was 60 plus years ago)

It never made my mom very happy but I wasn't bothering anyone.

First big game was a huge jack rabbit with my 410 single shot Stevens. I still have that gun too although many subsequent firearms have come and gone. Next were doves out of the air with my 16 ga SxS Stevens.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
First game animal was a rooster pheasant. The weapon was an ear of corn. I was seven. Kids were the dogs then in my family. We were making a drive through acorn field and for at least a year prior I had been throwing an ear of corn at the ones that got up at my feet. I got lucky and it it hard enough to stun it and it came down right in front of me. It wasn't probably six feet from me when I hit it. I already knew how to wring it's neck without getting spurred from fetching the ones the hunters shot. Dad decided If I could get one like that it was time for a shotgun and I had my first gun in a week. My crazy uncle Lewey had me reloading for it in a month. Dirt clod fights gave me a wicked arm for a 7 year old. Around the farm I had been killing rats, squirrels and whatever needed killing with a 22 as long as I can remember.

Edited to add: When I take animals somewhere it's a one way trip that ends on my plate and always has been.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
For me- a black bear in Manitoba with a .270.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redhead duck with a 12 Ga shotgun as far as first game animal.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Starling at age 5 with my red Ryder BB gun.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White tailed deer 12 gauge shotgun

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot a mallard drake with my bow.
it was winging in on the little drainage canal behind my dad's shop.
my little sister told on me while I was trying to stay dry fetching it out.
I think I still have stripes the same width as that little bow on my butt.
I was going to be 5 that fall, and boy was dad mad.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
boy was dad mad

My Dad would have said great shot.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
My first big game animal was a black bear shot with a borrowed Win. 94 30/30.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying this thread. Brings back a lot of memories of running around the farm as a kid with a pellet gun and a .22 rimfire. I've been addicted to hunting ever since, thanks to my father and a pellet gun. While the game has become larger and at times, in far away places, I still keep a pellet rifle at the ready for invasives in my yard and I always get in a fun squirrel hunt or two with a .22 rimfire after deer season.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
A tweety with bow and arrow.
Prairie dogs with .22
Sharptail grouse with .410
Whitetail doe with a 30-30.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
A grey squirrel,

I was 11 or 12. Shot it with papas target master bolt action .22. The gun belongs to me now.

It has fond memory's attached to it. I was staying with them for a few days late one summer. I heard a shot. And then another. Granny had slid the window open in her bedroom. Propped on the sewing machine and shot two crows out of the pecan trees. She had me climb up in them and hangem up. I was dumfounded that granny could even shoot.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
big(ger) game = Javelina with Browning A-Bolt Medallion .30/06

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The first animal I remember shooting was a drake green wing teal when I was 9, with a Stevens break action .410. First game animal was a spike elk when I was 15. Shot it with a 7mm Weatherby Mag.

My son shot his first duck,which was a pintail, when he was 8 using a 28 gauge. His first large animal was a Wyoming pronghorn when he was 12; shot with a Browning micro Midas bow set at 40 lbs.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dad's shop was in downtown Milpitas California.
there was a narrow strip [40-50yds. maybe] of wetland between his shop and a bunch of houses.

I'm sure if it was someplace other than that [shrug] it would have been a different outcome.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Nine years old, jump shooting mallards along Chalk Bluff on the Owens river with a single shot 20 gauge Winchester.

Jeez, that was 70 years ago. Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Rabbit with a Winchester 1200 12 Ga
Deer with same shotgun but with slug barrel.
Bought the gun at Montgomery Wards $108.00

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock squirrel with a Chipmunk .22 when I was 8. My older brother would go deer hunting with my dad, and while they did that, my mom and I would walk the various dry creek beds at the other end of the property, and I would take shots at the rock squirrels, which were typically very keyed up and hard to hit. I burned a fair amount of ammo with nothing to show for it but ricochets off the limestone. One day, we stumbled upon one sitting still at short distance, seemingly unaware of the program, and I popped it.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
First kill was a English Sparrow with my Daisy BB gun at age 6

First game animal was a drake mallard with a slingshot and #4 buck at age 8

First totally above board game animal was a drake mallard with my H&R Topper 20ga at age 14

First big game animal Whitetail Deer at age 15 with my Winchester 1894 30/30

First animal trapped Mice at age 6 with a stick ramp 5 gallon bucket with grain and bacon fat for bait

First furbearer trapped Muskrat at age 9 with a Victor #1 long spring at a bank den

First fish Fluke at age 5 on my dad's fiberglass Penn rod using squid for bait

I had a spectacular childhood in the outdoors and was lucky enough to have the support and mentorship of my elders.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitetail doe when I was 14. Used my dad’s Rem 870 12 ga. with the old-fashioned Foster slugs. As a city boy in the 1970’s, deer hunting was the only hunting I got to do until I was well into high school. The first two years deer hunting I’m not sure I even saw a deer. Northern Wisconsin didn’t have very many back then.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
the most enjoyable animal I ever killed was a woodchuck. My son was 4 and he had a friend the same age over for the day. The two of them came running into the house jabbering about some big animal in the back yard. I went with and there was a huge woodchuck which I shot. Later, about supper time my son asked if his friend could stay over for dinner. Before I called his mom to ask I asked him if he wanted to stay for dinner. He wanted to know what was for dinner I walked both of them over to the grill where I had a sirloin tip roast going, lifted the lid and just said woodchuck! That roast was near identical to the size and shape of the chuck I shot earlier. Watching those two 4 year olds look at each other and their eyes get big was worth a million bucks. That woodchuck was easily the best animal I ever shot.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
First kill was a English Sparrow with my Daisy BB gun at age 6

First game animal was a drake mallard with a slingshot and #4 buck at age 8

First totally above board game animal was a drake mallard with my H&R Topper 20ga at age 14

First big game animal Whitetail Deer at age 15 with my Winchester 1894 30/30

First animal trapped Mice at age 6 with a stick ramp 5 gallon bucket with grain and bacon fat for bait

First furbearer trapped Muskrat at age 9 with a Victor #1 long spring at a bank den

First fish Fluke at age 5 on my dad's fiberglass Penn rod using squid for bait

I had a spectacular childhood in the outdoors and was lucky enough to have the support and mentorship of my elders.

Sounds a lot like my childhood.

Grew up living on a now "Wild River" spent more time in a canoe than on a bicycle.

Have been hunting, fishing, shooting and trapping longer than I can remember.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first two years deer hunting I’m not sure I even saw a deer. Northern Wisconsin didn’t have very many back then.

Where up north did you go to hunt.

For sure a lot of people came up north to deer hunt.

Now southern Wis has many more deer.

It all started to change in the late 70's when the deer population increased in the southern portion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in collage I dated a gal who asked me if the coyotes I trapped were eatable.

I told sure they were if one wanted to.

She said she wanted to try some.

I when I went home on Christmas break I brought a hunk of venison tender loin back.

Cooked it up and we hand it for dinner.

I would bet to this day she thinks coyote is some on the best eating she had.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
The first two years deer hunting I’m not sure I even saw a deer. Northern Wisconsin didn’t have very many back then.

Where up north did you go to hunt.

For sure a lot of people came up north to deer hunt.

Now southern Wis has many more deer.

It all started to change in the late 70's when the deer population increased in the southern portion.

Langlade County on the Wolf
river. Most of our area was mature cedar and balsam, some maple and popple in the hills.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Far east Wis. I am in the north west.