New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clairfied Butter poached Elk Steaks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I do not post my cooks often. That fact is not driven out of a desire to keep my secret knowldge, but simply by the fact I am very detail orinated in my writing. I have been asked to write up cooking preperations before, and that is not enjoyable to me. I often am typing on an I-pad. Those two facts make preperation post too much of a headache. However, this one was too good not to report. This preperation is also fairly straight foward making a step by step layout not too unpleasent from a drafter's view point.

Ingredients:

4-elk sirloin steaks, any steak cut will work;
6-8-spring onions, or green oninions, or
whatever you call them;
2-big cloves of garlic;
8-fresh thyme stalks or a 1/3 cup of dried
thyme;
4-sticks of unsalted butter (I usally do not
care if butter is salted or unsalted, but
this time unsalted is important)
Sea Salt;
and
Black pepper corns.

Tools:

1-chef's knife;
1-flay knife;
Two cutting boards (you can get by with one);
1-kitchen towl (drying hands, etc);
Paper towles;
Medium size stainless steel pot;
2-tainless steel pans with high sides;
1-Large and wide cast iron skillet;
1-medium and fine strainer;
Cheese cloth;
1-set of medium long tongs;
Salt and Pepper grinder.

The Preperation:

Here we go. First, I do all my cutting. Cut the root ends and just enough to get rid of the roots on the spring onions. Then, lay them in an even bunch on a wood cutting board. Pinch the chef's knofe with the thumb and pointer finger with the handle running into the palm. Start at the green stalk endns and in a rocking motion chop toward the small bulbs. This will get the sping oninos chopped. With the flat of the knife get the chopped green oinions to one end of the board.

Peel the skin/hide from two big garlic cloves. Cut the woody ends and dischard. Then, place on the cutting board. In the same motion as chopping the green onions, chop the garlic. With the flat of the knife push to the greens.
If the cook is using fresh thyme sprigs lay them unmolested with the the chopped garlic and oninon.

Now, (I assume the elk steaks are thawhed and at room temperature) unseal the elk steaks. Lay them out on the second cutting board. Pat the steaks dry with a paper towles on both sides. I wrap the paper towles around the steads and pat or press them. Unwrap and discard paper towels. If necessary, uses the flay kife and remove all fat/talo and sliver skin. I strongly recommend removing that membrane that is clear and plastic wrap like as well. Do not worry if doing so, you have to cut a steak in half. The most important objective is to remove all fat/talo. Often there will be a grain of fat or talo running down the middle of a steak. Skin it out with the flay knife.

Use grinders and hit the surface of the steaks with sea salt and black pepper. You cannot use too much black pepper. Once one side of the steak(s) is salted and peppered take your fist and lighty beat the salt and pepper into the meat. Flip the steaks and do it again.

Now, add water to the 1/3 to 1/2 full in the medium size stainless steel pot. Place on low heat. Place one of the high sided stainless steel pans ontop. What has just been made is a poor man's double boiler. Add to the top pan four sticks of unslated butter. Let the butter melt down. You will see a foamy white stuff form on the bottom. Once, the butter is good and melted and you have good seperation at most 10 minutes. Strain this into the strainer laced with cheese cloth, folded over four times,over the second high sided stanless steel pan. Do not wring or force anything through. We have just made clarifed butter. Discard strainer and cheese cloth to the sink. The cheese cloth will rinse and dry nicely for future service.

Place the second sauce pan with clarifed butter over medium low heat. Add the chopped spring oninons, chopped garlic, and sprigs of thyme or the 1/3 cup of dry thyme. You want this liquid to be simmering. Pay attention and adjust heat accordinly.

On the closest open burner place the cast iron skillet and turn the heat to high. You want it hell for hot.

Add the steaks to the clarifed butter mixture. Adjust heat as needed to keep liquid at a simmer. I cannot tell you how long this will take. The time depends on the heat of your range and size of the steaks. My range is gas and has three temperatures hot, hotter, and hell. So, mine coooks very fast. Others may need thrity minutes for an inch thick steak. The goal is an internal temperature of 115-120 on the steaks. If the liquid does not cover the steaks one will need to flip them once in the liquied.

Once, the steaks show an internal temperature of 115-120 transfer to the hell hot cast iron skillet for a flash sear for color on each side. As you bring, the steaks from the poaching liquid let them drip off. This is mere minutes if not seconds.

Plate and serve.

The poaching liquid can be plated in ramacuns and served as a dipping sauce. Or one can throw some mushrooms in there, bring the heat up and suate to desired texture and serve over steaks. At least, save it in a freezer container or air vacum bag.

Folks, this is amazing. Just, take note of the cooking temperatures. You want 115-120 degrees internal temperature on the meat in the poaching liquid. You do not want to roaring boil the poaching liuid. So, pay attention on your cook. My steaks tonight only needed five minutes per side in the poaching liquid, and that was with low heat selected and simmering of the poaching liquid.

Thank you Big Wonderful Wyoming for making this elk hunt happen. Bugle'em In, and Matt De'ttorre, and Beretta682E thank you for your help on this hunt as well.

Posts: 10570 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Joshua, sounds great. We are all couped up indoors and every where here is lockdown again and seems like for the foreseeable future too.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your time in typing all of this up for us. I'm not much of a cook, but I have a lot of game meat in the freezer. One of these days, I need to learn. I bar-b-que a lot...

Posts: 2575 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This sounds wonderful and I’ll have to try it. I don’t happen to have any elk, so I guess I’ll have to try it with the Desert Bighorn I shot on New Year’s Eve. Big Grin

Posts: 3831 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a slightly modified version of this tonight with moose backstrap steaks. I vacuum sealed the steaks and infused clarified butter and placed it in the sous vide at 118 for 3 hours then seared on cast iron. They were phenomenal. Thanks again for the recipe!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gleason;

Thank you for trying it. I love your modification. I need to do that, if I can get the Vacuum sealer back from my FIL.

DLS congratulations on your ram!

Posts: 10570 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote