New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama Opening day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Opening day dawned cold and foggy here in Blount County, Alabama, But the fog soon burned off. I got set up in a ladder stand above a fishing pond where we have seen several big bucks and a bunch of does. I poured a cup of coffee, loaded up and setteled in to watch the fox squirrles dig through the leaves. Giant acorns were falling making me wish that I had a hard hat. The forest slowly woke up as light came over the mountain ( westerners would call it a small hill, but we call it a mountain). The early train rolled through the valley, and smoke startd from a farm house out of sight down the road. Two real nice does came sneaking by around 7:15. They stayed in the thick stuff pretty much. I raised my .280 custon 03 Springfield as they came into a clearing where I could take a shot. I sent a 139 grain interbond to reach out and touch the larger doe, but it when by without somuch as cutting a hair. I quickly worked the bolt, found gray/brown in the scope and puled the trigger again, and got a click instead of a bang. FAILURE TO FEED. So much for control feeding. Was it doe fever that caused me to short stroke the bolt? We will never know.
I watched as the two looked at each other, lit their after burners and went over the ridge with up raised white tails.
About an hour later I got down, checked to make sure there was no blood, and thanked God for the day, the deer, the squirrles another season, and my family.
Then I went to the cabin and enjoyed eggs and grits with my grand baby.
It was the greatest Opening day I can remember. I hope that all of my friends have a great season and happy holidays.

Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Judge, The last time I got "doe" fever I was a freshman in college and the Tet offensive had yet to begin. Funny thing about the acorns, it been that way up here as well this fall, sort of startling at times.

Now the important part, the short stroke is cause by the aging process and the lack of being totally limber until the 3rd or 4th round. That's why we always fire warning shots at our deer !

It must be safe for a 56 year old man to run around in the woods, cause it works for me!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge, point is you know what's important, the day and your family, and of course eggs and grits with your grandbaby! Shoot a few rounds at some clay pigeons and you'll get your bolt cycling/doe fever smoothed out, and you'll sock it to em when it's the nice buck ya'll have spotted comes by.

Happy Thanksgiving to you--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was the greatest Opening day I can remember.
Hey Judge, Always nice to be "around" to be able to make those fine memories. Real glad your health has recovered so you can get back in the Stand.

Best of luck to you.

P.S. Knowing the actual "velocity" made no difference at all. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, velocity made no differance at all. I could have missed just as well with my bow or a chunkin sized rock. What is the minimum calibre for chunkin rocks on white tails?
You all have a great turkey day!
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Once you lose the fever, what's the point? It is ok and happens to the best of us based on the situation. Sometimes a long dry spell, can lead to the Fever.

Some years, I will not even raise my rifle for anything but a wall hanger. Other years, spikes and does had better run for the hills.

Double check your zero and the sturdiness of your mounts. Also, those beautiful old war guns, have a really long bolt throw.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote