New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning my first elk hunt for the fall of 2002. I currently use a .308 and 45/70 for whitetails here in the piedmont of North Carolina. I know that the 45/70 is adequate for elk as long as shots are kept on the short side of a couple hundred yards.
Would the .308 with stiff handloads using a premium 165 grain bullet ( nosler partition or something like ) do the job?
If not, which cartridges would you recommend that could also double for deer hunting. The tried and true 30 06 keeps coming to mind, but most of what I read seems to point one of the belted magnums at the very least. I know that elk are tough and can absorb a great deal of energy, but is it not better to hit one in the boiler room with a caliber you can shoot than hit them in the a$$ with a bazooka? All input will be most appreciated.

<phurley>
posted
Crowrifle -- Your .308 will do just fine on Elk, as you said the key is hitting the correct spot. You might be interested to know that the number one head in Boone and Crockett was killed with a .308. I use a .340 Wby and killed several with a .300 Win mag. I have a buddy that would hunt with nothing but a .308 and he always brings home his bull. Good Shooting.

------------------

<X-Ring>
posted
crowrifle
phurley is right. The 308 is a good choice. As I have said in other posts I use a .338 win now, but the better part of the elk I have killed where with a 308 win. I prefer the 165gr bullet out of that rifle.
Good Luck hope you get a nice bull.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed most of the natives will alway say a 06, 270 or 308 will work and it will, no doubt about that...I also notice that all the locals around Idaho and Montana are using bigger guns these days, why is that?

Because Crowrifle, like you said, we now shot our elk in the a$$...because the big bulls go to the timber and in the black holes when the first shot goes off and if you want an big elk you better figure on taking him up close and going away..This old business or broadside shots is in the mind of the folks that don't live in elk country and hunt them every year...or the ones that hunt in better elk country ( fenced ) than we do, or read too many gun magazines...There are a few draw hunts where some of the Jack O'Conner elk, still come out in the open I guess....but I havn't shot an elk broadside in years.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
I've shot a few elk in the timber, and I don't recall that every elk was facing directly away from me. If they are not aware of you, they will not maintain that position indefinetly, but will angle off soon. If they spot you they will flee, however angle shots might well be the rule, due to the timber itself. You don't need a magnum to penetrate a lot of elk meat, just a heavy bullet of good construction. Should you be faced with a dead away shot aim for the root of the tail, a shot there will anchor any animal that walks. If the bullet goes high it will probably still hit the spine. If it goes low there's a definite problem, but how's it going low at close range?

------------------
Guns cause crime, which is why there has never been a mass slaying at a gun show.

<sure-shot>
posted
Crowrifle, shoot a Nosler Partition bullet and be done with it!

<Deadmarsh>
posted
needless to say, the 45/70 with a 300 grain Nosler is a perfect timber rifle out to 125-150 yards...

On the other hand, your .308 loaded with Noslers will get the job done, but really doesn't fit into what most consider elk calibers -- a .33 or .35 caliber would be a better choice (.338/06, .338 Win Mag, .35 Whelen, etc.)...

Good Luck:

Dead

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
..This old business or broadside shots is in the mind of the folks that don't live in elk country and hunt them every year...or the ones that hunt in better elk country ( fenced ) than we do, or read too many gun magazines...

With all due respect, I beg to differ. I don't read very many gun rags, and I don't hunt fenced enclosures. I do hunt prime elk country -- the same "black timber" of which you speak --but have never had to shoot an elk in the ass yet. Not saying that I didn't have the opportunity, or wouldn't consider it as a last resort, but just haven't had to yet. Neither have any of my hunting partners, to my knowledge.

Crowrifle, in my experience, a .308Win with 165gr bullets should work nicely for you. If you have the spare sheckels and would like a magnum in the closet, by all means it will give you greater flexibility & range on an elk hunt. But you certainly don't NEED it.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A young man who comes to our place to hunt every year shot his first two bulls with a 7mm-08 using 150 Nosler partition bullets. After a close encounter with a grizzly he decided to arm himself with a 300 Win with which he shot his next bull. The verdict? All three bulls died just the same. All were killed with one shot and all hit the deck soon after being hit. So I think your 308 is just fine. I like heavy bullets but that is just a personal preference.
The guys that lose elk are the guys that insist that their 270 with 130 Sierra bullets are perfect. They aren't. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote