THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Son relieved father’s remains found near Utah hunting camp

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son relieved father’s remains found near Utah hunting camp
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://wvmetronews.com/2020/1...r-utah-hunting-camp/

Son relieved father’s remains found near Utah hunting camp

By Mike Nolting
October 9, 2020 - 1:42 pm

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — The remains of an Upshur County man, missing for nearly a year after a hunting trip in Utah, have been discovered.

“I’m relieved and happy,” Crumrine’s son Paul Crumrine, of Morgantown, said Friday on MetroNews “Talkline.” “It’s such a relief to know he died doing what he loved.”

The remains of Crumrine, 69, of Buckhannon, were found this week near Lake Lyman, Utah, with a rifle, GPS unit and a HAM radio, according to his son.

A several week search last fall turned up nothing. Searchers at that time used RECCO technology that is commonly used during avalanches. A helicopter carrying the RECCO devices sends a signal that is designed to bounce back from metal objects.

“The area he was in was so heavy and dense. They did the helicopter fly over with the RECCO unit and didn’t pick him up, I assume just because it’s so thick.”

The remains were discovered this week by another hunter about a mile from Crumrine’s camp site. Paul Crumrine said he’s not surprised last year’s search wasn’t more productive.

“We were headed that direction as we were starting to spread out the search,” Paul Crumrine said. “With the impending weather coming in we went another direction because there was a boot print or something we had found.”

Crumrine was last seen alive early on the morning of Oct. 14, 2019, in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest in eastern Summit County. He was reported missing later that evening when he still hadn’t returned to the group. That’s when Summit County search crews went to work.

Paul Crumrine has deep appreciation for the searchers that worked long hours in their attempt to locate his father. He says family members do have some peace knowing he passed away doing something he loved.

“He went with his boots on doing what he loved,” Paul Crumrine said. “I can’t be more proud of him and happy for the way he went.”

He said Carl Crumrine will be missed, but remembered by many.

“We’d like to have some kind of memorial service because his mining buddies will not allow us not to have a service. They’ll want to pay their respects to him, he was a well respected member of the mining community,” the son said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9360 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good he was found.
Amazing how many die out here in the
high country every hunting season.

Usually folks from the low country that
don't acclimate to the altitude before going
out for long hard hikes and have heart attacks.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So happy they found his father, and can give the family closure.

RIP.

Posts: 2585 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
That's good he was found.
Amazing how many die out here in the
high country every hunting season.

Usually folks from the low country that
don't acclimate to the altitude before going
out for long hard hikes and have heart attacks.

George

Glad they found him too. I've lived in the Rockies almost 50 years but I always take a daypack (food, water purification, space blanket, rain fly, down vest, fire making stuff etc., weighs about 6 lbs) and if I'm anywhere remote my 45 Super with 3 extra clips. My LandNav skills leave something to be desired so the chance of sleeping out is always there Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote