New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Suppose you were going on a moose hunt in Maine, and you had two rifles available: a .300 Weatherby and a .375 H&H. Both are Remington 700s, of about equal weight and accuracy. Which would you take?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I wish I had the dilemma!

I'd take the 375. If I took the Wby as backup I'd have it sighted in with the heaviest Swift A Frame/TBBC/Woodleigh300Magnum/BarnesX it would shoot. Otherwise it would ruin a lot of meat.

Don

<Deadmarsh>
posted
Neither would be my first choice...I would opt for a .35 Whelen with 250gr Nosler Partitions...

If I had to choose between the two, it would be the .375 H&H with a large, round-nosed bullet and loaded down to 2400fps...

Dead

<Elias>
posted
.300 Wea spoils lots of meat..ref to abowe...375 H&H is better with big bullet loaded to medium speed. Personally I use 30-06 or .45-70 I remember that in the past you killed almost all your buffaloes mostly with .45-70 cal.

------------------
As long there�s lead in the air,there�s hope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 with a 270-285 gr bullet. At that weight they work well from 2400 to 2800 fps. Personal choice is a 358 Norma and a 250 - 275 gr bullet. same power range as the 375.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Al Smith>
posted
Either of the above should work well. My choice would be based on the terrain. I personally would choose the .375 for most instances because generally moose are not shot at long distances. I'm not familiar with Maine, but I'm guessing it is wooded.

However all of my moose have been taken with a .30-378 Weatherby and a 180 Barnes X. None ever required a second shot. Proving that bullet placement is critical.

[This message has been edited by Al Smith (edited 04-03-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
At least in Alaska most moose are killed within 150 yards. We use the same guns you use in the Lower-48, specially the .30-06, the .300 Magnum, and the .338 Magnum. These three are perhaps the most popular.

My favorite for all North American game are the .338 magnum, but the .375 is another excellent "moose in bear country gun." Between the .300 Wby and the .375 H&H I would take the .375 with 270-grain bullet/load. The 270-grainers don't shoot as flat as the .338 Magnum with 250 grainers, but it will be plenty flat within 300 Yards.

Most 270-grain loads sigthted to print +2" at 100 yards should hit center at 200 yards. At 300 yards all you have to do is hold the crosshairs just a little higher than the middle of the lungs. Look at the following site to get more ideas:
http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/wildlife/geninfo/hunting/huntak16.htm

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite for hunting the Maine woods and swamps is the .358 Winchester in the "BLR".
Ideal for bear, moose and big bucks. Another valid consideration is to use your "African" rifles, as moose hunting provides an opportunity to practice handling, hunting and shooting your "heavy". Your .375 is a fine choice.

Best ... Nick

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 04-04-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Talus>
posted
Personally, I would take the .375 if I could shoot it well. Why? Because I want one anyway. My current big game gun is a .270, so a .375 makes more sense as a new purchase than a .300 Wby.

I wouldn't hesitate to take my .270, though. I would shoot a 140 or 150 grain Partition-class bullet.

Talus. Good luck!

<JMeier>
posted
Another vote for the 375H&H. For reason's as stated above, plus It is becoming my favorite cartridge.

JMeier

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take whatever you can shoot! A 30-06 or 7mm mag with a good bullet is plenty for moose at any sort of range at which you are likely to get a shot at one. The last one I laid sights on was at 96 yards, which is typical.

Good luck!

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
<PK>
posted
I personally loves .300WinMag, but between those two, I would choose the .375H&H!
Happy shooting!

<karel potyka>
posted
My first moose and bear in B.C. Canada was taken with my 270-150gr Nos.partition. But where i do hunt is Grizz country. I do have question to you. Have you been attack with grizz when you where skining a moose after kill ? I did. I'm lucky in here an write this.
375H&H 270gr and best scope with wide field of view is my answer. With 375 you can take moose no problem up to any distance if you know your rifle and is stopper.
Karel

one of us
posted Hide Post
hi
Why not give a try to a 6,5x55 SM with norma 140 grain swift or 155 oryx? The swedes do it every year and I am sure you can do it too.
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Gunrunner>
posted
I would opt for the 300 mag. in this case.

I have shot two Maine Moose, one using a 308 with 150 gr. RN Sierras and the last using a 280 with 140gr.Ballistic Silvertips First was at about 100 to 125 yds.,760 lb bull w/52" rack, the last at 200 yds, a 925 lb. w/ 53" rack.

<Carl>
posted
I dont know about Maine but if you would hunt in Mountainous terrain like here in British Columbia looking for a large Trophy Bull Moose, you would not hunt down in the Swamps but uphill and just below Timberline. Here is where the big Boys hang out. While down in Swamps the distance for Moose may be 150 yards or less, up in Timberline it is for this or that reason often 200 yards or more. For this reason I would prefer the 300 Weatherby pushing a 180 grain bullet. Happy hunting, Carl.

<phurley>
posted
In this case either the .300 with 180 gr. bullet up to 220 grs. or the .375 and any weight bullet that shoots well. I took an Alaska Yukon Moose in 1999 with a .340 and 250 gr. Nosler Partition gold bullet at 2900 fps. A great animal that can sometimes pack a wallop and get to water, then the cheese gets binding, best to drop him in his tracks. Good Shooting.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a Bull moose in southwest Alaska last september using a Browning A Bolt in 375 H&H using 300 grain Fail Safe hand loaded to 2530 FPS. This was a new rifle and the first game animal that I shot with it. The moose was at a 45 angle at 150 yards and dropped on the spot with full penetration through the liver and lungs, two ribs where hit, one goin in and the other on the way out. Meat lost was neglibleand this caliber made me a believer in this time proven caliber. The rifle was equiped with the "BOSS" System which made a big difference in recoil.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the .375 H&H, but I have seen the .300 Wby take large moose as well. I would recommend against he Nosler Partition in the .375 - you would be better off with an A-Frame, Grand Slam, TBBC, etc. in my opinion. The partition sheds too much weigth and wastes too much energy at the entrance point on a large bodied animal like the moose. You end up with a lot of surface damage and the equivalent of a .375 200 gr. FMJ penetrating the animal. Better off to make a big hole from a bonded or like bullet. Just my opinion.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Dr. John>
posted
I am from Maine. these moose are usually found in some seriously thick woods. or they just walk along logging roads which could really give someone an incredibly long shot. I would probably go for the 375. from what I have heard animals hit with the 375 don't walk but drop. something about the heavy slower moving slug I guess. hopefully you can drop it on the logging road or cut down. nothing would be worse than having to field dress and haul that 900+lb moose out of the thick cedar or evergreen wettish land. I myself (if I get picked) will be using a 458 win mag with a soft point 400gr or 510gr. I know I don't need it but it should perform incredibly.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm part owner of a hunting concern in Maine where the hunting is a bit different than Alaska. Ranges tend to be relatively short, so the extra reach of the 300 Weatherby is not required. A 200 pus yard shot might present itself and the 375 can certainly handle that and much more

I would take the "handier' rifle of the two and not worry too much about the difference in "knockdown" power. A 300 Weatherby is more than enough gun for moose.

PS: amazing how you can ask a specific question ( i.e., 300 or 375 choice) and get recommendations on EVERY caliber but the ones you asked!

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Peter Walker>
posted
LE270

Inside 200yds I doubt whether you or the moose would be able to tell the difference, which rifle you shot it with.

Pick the one your most confident with and give it too it.

....Peter

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Take the .375 - it will do the proper job. The Weatherby will be to hardhitting at short distances, destroying several pounds of fine steak.

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote