New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M1895
 Login/Join

<TomA>
posted
I found something that I have no clue on, marked on the barrel of this M1895 is Govt. .30-03 Smokeless. What is the modern equivilent (if there is one)? If not what are the dimensions and ballistics of the round?

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The .30-03 is the predicessor of the .30-06, and was the original round for the springfield. As far as I know the only differences between the two rounds are bullet weight and shape, the '03 used a 220 grain round nose, whie the '06 used a 150 grain spire point.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The previous post is correct, the 1903 .30 caliber is the predecessor to the .30-06. If memory serves me correctly there were some design changes made to the '03 case to turn it into the .30-06. I can't remember what they were but I don't believe the two were interchangable. It did use a 220 grain bullet as opposed to the lighter 30-06 load. In any case, you've got a piece of american history in your hands, don't do anything to modify it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .30-'03 had a case length of 2.54. The .30-'06 has a case length of 2.49. All other case dimensions are the same. The Winchester 1895 was the first sporting rifle chambered for the .30-'03. The .30-'03 was loaded with a 220 grain roundnose bullet.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<TomA>
posted
Any ideas where I could find about ten rounds for display purposes? There is a hairline crack where the barrel meets the reciever( probably from firing hot loads), so firing it is out of the question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a side note here, my grandfather has a M1895 in 30-40 Krag. Nice old piece of history to play with.

Mac

------------------
When hunting and fishing get in the way of your job, it is time to quit the job!

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote