New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had a choice
 Login/Join

<Winchrman>
posted
would you buy a nearly unused sako L61R or buy a new Winchester or Browning . Cost is about the same as a new Browning .

<X-Ring>
posted
I think I would go with the Sako. Not bad mouthing the other choices, but would rather have a Sako due to better results in the past than with modern Winnies, or Brownings.

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

<Mats>
posted
Sako, no doubt. And I like Winchester's.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Second that....Go Sako !!

Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
X-Ring,

I have a Sako L691 .375 H&H which I purchased second hand (but it looked like new & no indication it had even been fired). The wood was too beautiful to pass up & in Australia because of the power of the US$ Sakos can be cheaper than Winchesters.

I love my Sako & it is wonderfully accurate but it is not without problems. Main one being that cases would not eject as the long cases hit the turrect on the scope & fell back in. Also for .375 H&H rifle is about 1 lb too light at 8.5lb all up with Leupold VXll 3-9 x 40.

You have to evaluate in light of the calibre you want & how it fits you. Most important how it feel when you put it up to your shoulder & the balance. Here my Sako suits me. But being second hand the previous owner made the trigger so light it was dangerous(easy to adjust), there was no instruction manual & I did not get the rear peep sight which was supposed to come as std. (Rifle has a front sight but no rear)

I have shot my friend's Win S/S Classic in .270 Win & it is a beautiful handling rifle & very accurate. Ejection is very positive on the Win. If you want to customise also easier with a Winchester. But I like the look of wood better.

Unless the Sako is in near new condition I would not discount the new Winchester.

Regards,
John

<DuaneinND>
posted
Depending on the caliber, I would have to choose between the Win and the Sako, sporter weight hunting type- Winchester. Varmint weight- Sako Maybe I'm biased, but Browning A-bolt has NO place in the options for me.

<allen day>
posted
I like the Sako L61R very much. It's a well-made, finely-finished rifle, and most of them shoot very well. I also like the current Model 70, but mostly for the basic action which I used for custom projects. You can't go wrong with either of these two rifles, I don't think. I'm not the customer Browning had in mind when they invented the A-Bolt.

AD

<1LoneWolf>
posted
I have had a lot of luck with SAKO. I have never owned one that wasn't excellent. They just make a good rifle.

I'd go to the SAKO as long as you can check the barrel or at least know for sure that somebody hasn't abused it.

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

[This message has been edited by 1LoneWolf (edited 05-08-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a no-brainer: Sako

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PK>
posted
Bolt action Browning is nothing special. Winchester is nice, but SAKO sounds better to me, but it also depends on caliber.
P.K.