Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever hunt Fort Riley?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
This year most of the military bases in the west cancelled (or required two week quarantines) non-resident hunters on base.

I realize that not everyone is retired military or a DOD civilian or both and can hunt these bases, but I thought I'd ask.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yes I have. Hunted birds but any Ks resident can fairly easily hunt deer there if the base is open. Just a few more hoops is all. Good elk herd too but have never applied thus drawn for elk.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine did years ago and did well on archery whitetail along with some upland (pheasant and quail) along with some waterfowl

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any US citizen can hunt Oryx on White Sands Missile Range if they draw a tag, but many bases are only open to active duty military, retired military, 100% disabled veterans and DOD civilians.

Good to know about Fort Riley.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first duty station was Riley; great place to for hunting and fishing.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
I was just a boy when my Dad was stationed there, and I recall him going out once or twice. I never thought much about it until now.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I did my basic training there. It was hot, summer time and there was pot growing in all the ditches. 'Ditch weed'.

~Ann

Posts: 19125 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to basic in Orlando, FL. It was 95 and 100% humidity when I got there in October.

By Thanksgiving it was fine.

Worst was China Lake Naval Weapons Station. 5 months over 100F. Mostly over 105. But it was dry.

Did 3 tours in Djibouti on the horn of Africa. Every time I was there was June-August. 108F and 100% humidity, unless you were lucky and it was 125F and no humidty with some wind coming off the Sahara.

One day in my three tours it rained for 15 minutes. Felt like it was in the 40's, but I am sure it was in the 80s. Top soil was dry 15 minutes after the rain stopped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unrelated to the OP, but back in 1996 I wrote an article for North Carolina Game & Fish describing how civilians could hunt on Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. There was a process, but very doable.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote