THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Free Range Texas Hill Country 7x7 Elk

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free Range Texas Hill Country 7x7 Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Edwards County January 18th

We have a decent population of free range elk and red deer in the area we have our 5,300 acre lease. We had been hearing two bulls in particular part of the lease all fall, but only laid eyes on the one below at the beginning of August while in velvet at 800 yards. We saw the other bull twice, but he was a younger 4x4.

Our friends son took this last Saturday evening right at sunset. It was a pretty old elk - patchy hair and teeth all but worn down. We field dressed him on the spot, but still couldn't get him to the Ranger (and we are both BIG guys), so had to go back and get my Expedition with a lower cargo tray and a third person to help.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the hunter. Good job.
That bull looks like he was living a hard life. Will it be good eating from that environment ?
Also, do you have Aoudad on your lease ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Congrats to the hunter. Good job.
That bull looks like he was living a hard life. Will it be good eating from that environment ?
Also, do you have Aoudad on your lease ?
Cheers

It should be good eating - the axis and sika taste good; only the whitetail are funky.

Yes, we have lots of aoudad. I think only the young ones taste good - backstraps cooked in cast iron pan with bacon.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a picture on my cell of a 400 plus elk shot on a free range low fenced ranch in the Texas Big Bend country, an absolute monster. The old Cap Yates ranch had a lot of elk that he introduced many years ago, many of those elk wonder on to the Blackmore ranch just so. of Marathon, Texas, I believe its call Iron Mountain Ranch today..I bought 16 blue mares and a 3 year old blue stud in about 1970-74 and during the gather I saw many elk and some awesome bulls...More than a few ranches have elk from that original herd I believe.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have a picture on my cell of a 400 plus elk shot on a free range low fenced ranch in the Texas Big Bend country, an absolute monster. The old Cap Yates ranch had a lot of elk that he introduced many years ago, many of those elk wonder on to the Blackmore ranch just so. of Marathon, Texas, I believe its call Iron Mountain Ranch today..I bought 16 blue mares and a 3 year old blue stud in about 1970-74 and during the gather I saw many elk and some awesome bulls...More than a few ranches have elk from that original herd I believe.

The Davis Mountains and surrounding areas have some outstanding elk (and aoudad and mule deer; some big horn). High 300 and low 400 elk not uncommon. All were introduced RM elk; original native elk in this same are now extinct in NA - Meriam's Elk.