Find
Notify
Tools

BIG boar at night. your calibre?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Up at my brother's at the moment.
We have to go out and find a large boar (220lbs +) that is eating young banana plants on a mate's farm of a night.
My brother's pet rifle is a 375 H&H CZ550.

Problem is the only firearm allowed on the farm is a 22 Magnum(single shot no less!)

I have tried to convince the owners this is a bad idea. Just wondered if I could get some opinions on recommended calibres to show him.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Karl.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
If they are afraid of ricochets and overpenetration, something like a 44 magnum or 45/70 with softs would be about right.

Does Woodleigh make a "dead soft" or leopard load for the 375? That would be a great answer for the farmer's fears.

Don

<Steve H>
posted
Hi Guys

If you are only allowed to use a .22magnum on this 220lb pig then tell the farmer to go get it himself. However if you have access to a couple of good pig dogs - then the .22mag (and a good knife) will be sufficient!! If you are going to shoot it without the use of pig dogs then go for something that will stop the porker in it's tracks! eg .45.70 - 44mag 30.06 etc
My experience with farmers up Brisbane way has been very good - they have all hunted pigs and know what to expect.

Steve H

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What about a shotgun with slugs? 12 or 20 guage would work quite well, just need to hit him in the lungs or neck and not the hams.

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Talus>
posted
Karl, I've seen .22 LRs drop quite a few 400 pound hogs in their tracks. But they were in pens, headshot at close range. If you must use .22 mag, then I would say that the importance of shot selection cannot be overemphasized! Perhaps bait the pig and shoot from a tree.

Make bacon, Talus

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Shotgun, definitely.

<Fat Bastard>
posted
Do we understand correctly? The farm owner wants you to kill this boar that's eating his bananas, but he'll only let you use a single shot .22 Mag? Do you use the phrase "Yeah, right!" in Australia?

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
...the only firearm allowed on the farm is a 22 Magnum(single shot no less!)

Well, then I'd find a really big rock and throw at him instead...

-- Mats

<BMG>
posted
I'd agree with the shotgun idea. Four buck is about 45 .22cal balls traveling at 1350fps which is less than the 1700-2000fps a .22 mag travels at. I would suggest however using 00 or 000 buck at least, bigger chunks of lead at the same speed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see a problem with the .22WMR single shot. As long as you're going to let the fool do it himself, while you're in a pub in another county, seems to me that .22LR should be more than sufficient. Anyone for CB caps?

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Karl,
My taxidermist buddy used a Ruger Mark II .22LR pistol on one that size. I video taped him doing it. Aim right behind the ear and don't shoot beyond 25 yards. I prefer the spear myself, better than a rock.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Karl
I knew an old timer who had killed plenty of boars with a 22 lr but at last he almost lost a leg in confrontation with a wounded pissed off boar. Then he bought a real boar gun! a Savage m 24 in 22 mag/20 ga and he was very satisfied with the result. He used 22 mag win solid ( he told me that the win solid was best)for head shot and a brenneke slug in the under barrel plus he always carried a kind of shooting stick/spear for if the gun couldn,t stop the boar use it as the last defens tool.take your 22 mag if your forced ,but don,t forget a spear for back up.
best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.Some good replies there :that's just what I need to show this fellow.

Karl.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed plenty of feral pigs with a 22 mag. it seems best on pigs of 125 lb or less. the federal 50 gr bullet is very effective on hogs. inside of 50 yds they kill better than all others tried. the 50 gr would work on a 200 lber but the spear would be nice ,the dogs are the best bet.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jolly good chaps!
I am back home now but my brother informs me he is taking the 375 out there of a night. Even sighted it in on the farm. Thanks again.(I will have to try this next time I get in a debate about guns

Karl.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I lived in Hawaii for a few years ant there they hunt pigs with knives and spears. You might try that. Aussies are at least as tough as Hawaiians, aren't they?

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote