THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What is the "fascination" of posting stories about poaching?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the "fascination" of posting stories about poaching?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I just don't get it. There are "bad actors" in any industry, sport, or community of interest.

I personally don't watch the news because I don't care to read about the dregs of society.

I also recognize I don't need to read those posts.

The question I am asking is - For those who choose to read them what value do you get from it?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I don't read them....

But I find myself on AR less and less each year

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
As one of those that does post such articles, I am a form believer in REALITY, and Poachers/stories about them are not read just by Hunters or Anti-Hunters, but the general public!

If nothing else, hunters need to present to the Public the concept that Poachers are not representative of Hunters in general!

People/Hunters need to remember, the antis minds can not be changed, but the Public in general needs to be able to understand that Poachers are criminals and those of us that make sure we are obeying the laws/regulations while hunting view poachers as our enemies and want the Public to understand that we want those people stopped!

No one on AR is obligated/mandated to read anything anyone else posts!

As long as the PTB's on AR allow it I am going to contimue posting article from TP&W concerning poachers!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I would guess that people just want to have something to BS about around here. The truth is that this forum can be pretty slow at times.

I rarely read them and very rarely comment on them.

One thing that I do find interesting is the fact that most violations that are handled by the state and local authorities result in a punishment that seems too light for the crime, while violations handled by the Feds result in very harsh penalties.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I personally don't watch the news because I don't care to read about the dregs of society.

I'm with you on this!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep and the Dregs of society arev the ones that can take our ability to hunt away from us!!!!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read them because I find it absolutely amazing how stupid some people are.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not just stupidity, look back and see how many SCI members and other wealthy "Sportsmen/Women" have knowingly skirted or tried to skirt the law in order to shoot a "Trophy", simply for noteriety and the chance of getting a medal and their name in a Record Book!

Another thing that people are overlooking, is that it is NOT just the hunter, but in many cases Guides/PH's and outfitters have been accomplises to the crimes.

As someone that has no children, it really should not matter to me if hunting is lost to future generations, but it does.

I want future generations to experience something that has been a major part of my life, even if it not exactly in the same manner or for the same game.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I learned long ago (and don't need to review the lesson) that two things are infinite.

1) the universe

2) the stupidity of people.

I am still uncertain of the first.

Nor do I need to read a 137 articles to know that poachers are a threat to my hunting rights. Perhaps others are slow learners.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Each to their own a person can be complacent or they can voice their opinion on such an issue.

I just plan on continuing to let people understand that hunters do not support or condon the actions of poachers.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
CHC,

You have no idea whether anybody else is complacent or not. Unless you are asserting you are either omniscient or clairvoyant and know what other people are doing in their every waking moment.

It is very easy to express that one doesn't condone poaching without highlighting specific incidents of poaching.

No need for you to respond as your inability to respond "on point" is legendary.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Poaching is news.

Bad news.

And I presume if we spread the news, hopefully it might prevent others committing such acts.

We heard of poachers shooting and killing a professional hunter in one country in Africa while he was with a foreign client.

We had a discussion an this subject, and the discussion was should we return fire if we were fired at.

Walter was adamant that we should not.

I told him I would shoot back, and make sure I hit who I am shooting at.

If criminals are shooting at me, and I am armed, I will shoot back and make it count.

I read the news headlines in several countries, out of interest.

It is safe to say that the overwhelming majority are negative news.

But, we learn something from them.

Especially those of us who travel a lot.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember millions of hunters take their game legally every year.

It is because these cases are rare that they make the news.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, I am just jaded by my time spent in law enforcement or my time seeing unethical and illegal behavior in corporate America.

I can see posting information about unique or extreme cases but some of these seem rather "run of the mill" behavior by the typical unethical person.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I am not saying you are wrong, and even though I was never in Law Enforcement it is easy to become jaded about such behaviors because it seems those behaviors never stop.

This will seem a stretch to some, but even though there is a certain level of racism still alive in America but it is not at the same level as it was when I was a kid growing up in the 50's and 60's here in north Texas. The reason being our Society began saying "Enough" and things did change.

I view hunters as a "Society" and as such it is up to us to get the point across or word out that Popaching/Illegal hunting, practices will no longer be tolerated by the hunting Public in general.

This has nothing to do with differences of opinion concerning what is Ethical/Unethical, but stopping people or at least trying to, from doing actions that cast all hunters in a bad light.

Like racism/drug abuse/theft etc. etc., poaching will never be completely stopped and having done some poaching in the past myself I finally realized that for hunting to have a future, it is a behavior that has to be treated as negatively as possible by Hunters, so that the non-hunting Public will equate hunters with poachers.

It has nothing to do with changing the minds of the Anti's, their beliefs/narrative is hard wired and in all honesty preaching against poaching on a site like this may or does represent a clear example of "Preaching To The Choir", so I do understand how it can be viewed as some do, but if this site is monitored by both anti gun and hunting individuals, at least it might educate them that hunters do nmot support such behaviors.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Probably for the same reason some people read obituaries...

I agree 100% with Saeed and his post above

Posts: 2091 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just remember millions of hunters take their game legally every year.

It is because these cases are rare that they make the news.

HMMMM, not unlike the millions of gun owners around America that you never hear about or the millions of firearms setting in closets or gun cabinets around the country that no one thinks about or has thought about for close to two centuries, until a few mental deficients decided to use one because ther vjopices in their head told them too!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed that they are still current news stories, as opposed to Jeff Blair that people still believe they need to bring to the top. But, thanks to Saeed, they also have that privilege.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stir Me I really do not care poaching has always been around and always will be. The law breakers will forever be a part of society so accept it. Personally I feel there is a large difference between shooting an extra bird or deer and commercial poaching. Yes both are scofflaws if and when they get caught they knew the risks. I have never believed , "we need to make an example" fines/imprisonment if you illegally kill a deer the punishment should be the same,i.e. 1 year tag revocation and a $1000 fine for everyone...2 deer 2 yrs/$2000 ....50 deer for market 50 yrs no tag $50,0000 etc.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I tend to skip the Poaching articles unless about Africa as that is a whole other issue over there.

Then an Post/Article about Wolves shows up and suddenly the SSS appears from some of those with Deep angst over a whitetail being poached, shot illegally. I read those to remind me that the hypocrisy of man is nearly limitless and "What is right in their own eyes" is really what most people are guided by.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If somebody doesn't like the poaching stories then don't read them - pretty simple.

But poaching takes away game from all of us. It's theft and should be treated as such meaning fines and jail time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
“Originally posted by larrys:
I agree with Saeed that they are still current news stories, as opposed to Jeff Blair that people still believe they need to bring to the top. But, thanks to Saeed, they also have that privilege.”

The Blair thread has shown a rather sad side to all this.

Everyone seems to have taken Blair to task for what he did, and he bloody well deserves it.

When Shawn started advertising false Mark Sullivan hunts, and I called him out on it, no one dared say a word.

Then it turned out that Mark Sullivan is conducting hunts ILLEGALLY in South Africa, still no one dared say a word.

I wonder what had happened to calling a spade a spade?

Or have we gotten that sick virus called political correctness?

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
People have always been fascinated by outlaw behavior
One man’s hero is another man’s outlaw/terrorist...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I don't see it as 'fascination'. I think it is good to know our tax dollars are effective and that our various local and up game agencies are earning their keep. It's extremely dangerous work and the people employed to it are generally payed much less that other LEO's.

I have been quite certain that as an individual, poachers have impacted my own success afield. A piece of land for sale bordering mine was chock full of people last year and the amount of abundant shooting even in non-firearms portions of our deer seasons definitely impacted what I saw for deer.

No one was on that land this year. It was the best deer season I have ever had. If I had it I would buy that piece of land.

The bottom line is poaching affects everyone. I know a lot of it happens around my area. It's very rural and thus very difficult to enforce laws and very difficult to catch those who willingly cheat.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have no idea whether anybody else is complacent or not.

I Don't????

How do YOU think America's political system got into the shape it is TODAY???????

Complacentcy!!!!

When only 60% or LESS of the eligible voters in this country bother to vote, that is complacentcy!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I agree with Saeed that they are still current news stories, as opposed to Jeff Blair that people still believe they need to bring to the top. But, thanks to Saeed, they also have that privilege.”

Everyone seems to have taken Blair to task for what he did, and he bloody well deserves it.

When Shawn started advertising false Mark Sullivan hunts, and I called him out on it, no one dared say a word.

Then it turned out that Mark Sullivan is conducting hunts ILLEGALLY in South Africa, still no one dared say a word.

If others are like I am, I don't call anyone a violator of anything without such evidence to prove it in a court of law, not by someone just coming on the internet and making accusations such as been done with what you mentioned! If the man is doing something illegal in SA, why haven't the proper authorities been contacted so the matter can officially be looked into?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:

If others are like I am, I don't call anyone a violator of anything without such evidence to prove it in a court of law, not by someone just coming on the internet and making accusations such as been done with what you mentioned! If the man is doing something illegal in SA, why haven't the proper authorities been contacted so the matter can officially be looked into?

Both Cal, who hunted with him, and Shawn, his agent, specifically said Mark Sullivan does not hold a professional hunters license in South Africa!!

Shawn was advertising hunts here for buffalo guided by Mark Sullivan!

Anyway you look at it,it IS FLAGRANTLY ILEEGAL to conduct hunts in any country if you do not hold a license to do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Both Cal, who hunted with him, and Shawn, his agent, specifically said Mark Sullivan does not hold a professional hunters license in South Africa!!

Anyway you look at it,it IS FLAGRANTLY ILEEGAL to conduct hunts in any country if you do not hold a license to do so.

So why haven't YOU contacted SA officials if you are positive he's violating the law there? It would appear that it would be a slam dunk if there is evidence here on your website that he's violating the law, so why not do that or doesn't SA have any agency that would take action if presented with said evidence?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t want to read stories about poaching? Then don’t read them. A few years ago I made a comment about not watching the news, not caring about current events, not speaking up about bad folks, etc. to a friend whose opinion I value greatly and he told me you can’t do that if you care about your children. He’s right. The cowardly approach is to bury your head in the sand. Be aware and do what you can. Believe me, I’m just as world weary and jaded as the next guy but I’ll continue to fight the good fight for as long as I can.

I’m sure the OP will be offended by this as is his wont but I couldn’t care less.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So why haven't YOU contacted SA officials if you are positive he's violating the law there? It would appear that it would be a slam dunk if there is evidence here on your website that he's violating the law, so why not do that or doesn't SA have any agency that would take action if presented with said evidence?

You must be kidding!

Trying to get rid of corruption in the hunting industry in South Africa?

Keep on dreaming.

The whole idea of Mark Sullivan picking South Africa to operate in illegally was so he can get away with it.

I only got involved in this terrible episode because his sales agent blatantly continued posting ILLEGAL hunt offers here on AR, despite me calling him out on it.

Mark Sullivan can get involved in every illegal hunting activity he wishes, as long as it is not brought up here on AR.

He got his sorry ass kicked out of Tanzania, and gravitated to guiding clueless idiots to shoot farm bred cattle! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You must be kidding!

Keep on dreaming.

The whole idea of Mark Sullivan picking South Africa to operate in illegally was so he can get away with it.

I only got involved in this terrible episode because his sales agent blatantly continued posting ILLEGAL hunt offers here on AR, despite me calling him out on it.

Mark Sullivan can get involved in every illegal hunting activity he wishes, as long as it is not brought up here on AR.

He got his sorry ass kicked out of Tanzania, and gravitated to guiding clueless idiots to shoot farm bred cattle! rotflmo

I have never hunted outside the US and have never had any plans to do so, especially as old as I am. Therefore, I know nothing about what goes on in other countries and why I posed that question to you about SA since hunting is how you make your living and I figured you would be the one to ask. Thanks for letting me know in your response about how bad SA must be!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You must be kidding!

Keep on dreaming.

I have never hunted outside the US and have never had any plans to do so, especially as old as I am. Therefore, I know nothing about what goes on in other countries and why I posed that question to you about SA since hunting is how you make your living and I figured you would be the one to ask. Thanks for letting me know in your response about how bad SA must be!

I have no involvement in hunting whatsoever, except hunt.

I am not involved in any commercial hunting activity at all.

Corruption in South Africa's hunting industry rivals Nigeria's corruption in the financial field!

There are a lot of very honest operators in South Africa, but there are a lot of very dishonest, crooked ones too.

Especially involved in the SCI Record Book trophies, where they provide trophies to order.

Regardless of what laws are broken.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Norton; et al,

Not offended at all. But my sense is many did not read my post.

1) I already acknowledge I don't have to read them

2) My post says nothing about giving up the fight

3) My post is about which I clarified, I don't see a lot of value in posts about mundane poaching and followed by a bunch of hunters all talking about it. It's like a political rally. Guess what, 95% of the people there are already gonna vote for that candidate. Like living in an echo chamber.

4) If others see value in posting at an article about poaching which will then be followed by two dozen folks with the same affinity all saying "isn't it horrible - jail the scum", knock yourself out.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:

I’m sure the OP will be offended by this as is his wont but I couldn’t care less.

Confused
I've always found Mike to be one of the more level headed people around her....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe before this gets really twisted it would be a good time to remember that all of us on here have really only two things in common when it is all said and done a passion for guns and hunting.

While that passion is what brings us too these sites, we are still individuals and as such view each and every topic that appears on here from our own personal perspective, sometimes we view them from similar/compatable standpoints while other times we don't.

We all know poaching will never be stopped and my guess is in face to face conversations with others if the subject comes up we denounce poachers and poaching.

Personally I normally only try and post articles where the poaching/poachers were so stunningly stupid or greedy or where it involves hunters that poach trying to gain noteriety for the trophy they killed, like the "Hunter" in Grayson county Texas a couple years back that was found guilty of poaching record class bucks on land her did not have permission to hunt on and with a rigfle in a county that is archery only.

As has been pointed out none of us are required to get involved in each and every discussion on here and if we decide too we have the right to state our opinion, positive or negative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to compete with Edmond, but the reason I post the poaching articles, especially the ones concerning such activities taking place in America is because the section supposedly dedicated to articles about poaching gets very little activity.

It is in the Conservation section that appears to have gotten its start in September of 2013, and in 5 years there has been a total of 56 topics with 225 posts.

Fact is lots of AR members have a certain number of topic areas they really pay much attention to.

Administrator
posted Hide Post