The Accurate Reloading Forums
Kongsberg rifle

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/31910582

30 August 2001, 07:18
Big Dipper
Kongsberg rifle
There is a Kongsberg Model 393 rifle in 308 Win for sale on one of the auction sites. This rifle is reportedly made in Norway. Anyone have any knowledge of this rifle/action? Perhaps our Scandinavian friends know it?

Thanks,
Wayne E.

30 August 2001, 10:45
Stefan
Hi BD.

Kongsberg makes a rifle with a three lug action. The action is wery similar to a Swedish action called Varberger. There have been some legal actions involved in this matter and both sides claim that they own the right to make this action.

The action was first made in Finland under the name Lakelander and in the begining it had nine locking lugs. The production then moved to Sweden and the number of lugs was down to six. The Swedish company also made a "budget" version with three lugs, not so fancy stock etc.

Personally I don�t really like this rifle. The action have a low angle opening bolt that make lift and extraction very stiff. I probably get some heat from other Scandinavians for not liking the action (made in Swe. or Nor.). Lots of hunters and shooters like the Kongsberg or Varberger rifles. They often shoot very good. the swedish rifle company that made them delivered every rifle with a test target. Every rifle delivered should be able to shoot three shots at 100 m inside a Swedish coin about the size of a quarter....

The barrels on the Kongsberg rifles are made at the factory in Kongsberg (name of the willage). They are hammerforged and useally shoots very good. I have put on only two of these barrels in 6,5 mm and both was good shooters for the price.

Mabye there is another Scandinavian that like these rifles better than me that can provide some more info on them

Stefan.

31 August 2001, 01:09
Big Dipper
Stefan,
Thanks for the info. This rifle caught my interest as it is a left-hand version and I am a left-handed shooter. Left-hand short actions are hard to come by here.
Regards,
Wayne E.
31 August 2001, 08:02
<maral>
The Kongsberg 393 is not a short action, but is capable of taking rounds up to 84-85mm. I had a right-handed classic 393 in 9,3x62, but the urge for something bigger and harder hitting made me sell it.My 393 was extremely accurate, and shot groups as small as 10mm at 100m.Maybe I shouldnt sold it?
02 September 2001, 03:16
<JOHAN>
The same thing with different names

Kongsberg, Lakelander and Varberger are the built on the same feature and ideeas. I have no warm feelings about this action. Why cannot any scandinavian make a remington with tighter tollerances, sako extractor and different bolt release, Steel floorplate, Winchester safety. JUST LIKE THE ED BROWN 702 ACTION.