THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    'Shoot/Don't Shoot,' the groovy 70s hunting safety film

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Shoot/Don't Shoot,' the groovy 70s hunting safety film
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://boingboing.net/2020/09...ing-safety-film.html

LINK HAS THE FILM.

'Shoot/Don't Shoot,' the groovy 70s hunting safety film

ANDREA JAMES 5:11 AM MON SEP 21, 2020

The North American Association of Hunter Safety Coordinators created Shoot/Don't Shoot, a series of vignettes that pause and ask viewers if it's safe to shoot a hunting rifle in that situation.

This was part of our middle school hunting safety class, and the look and vibe of this film feels very much like the rural 1970s America I remember.

If you're looking for more modern hunting safety info for your children, NAAHSC is now known as IHEA and has student resources.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still use that video in my Hunter Education classes. It is a little outdated in some ways but the principles are still true.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kathi !!

Watched it tonight. Hairstyles were - umm - interesting. But the lessons were well done and emphasized the right aspects of risk.

I did have to question how those lessons would apply to situations encountered while hunting in Africa. Kind of concluded that safety really starts with muzzle control, and we've all seen that envelope pushed a good bit in Africa. Shot selection is a secondary consideration, but the hunter is well coached by the PH in making that selection. And if you shoot poorly, you have the opportunity to pay the penance of a nice tour of the property. That might make a nice piece of a similar (and fictional) video focusing on Africa.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watched it tonight. Hairstyles were - umm - interesting.

I use to resemble that comment way back when. Big Grin

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote