Notify
Tools

Montana man killed by grizzly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First Grizzly fatality of the year.

The man has died from the attack.

His spray can was found with the safety off.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/lo...llowstone-04-16-2021

Posts: 19330 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That seems early already!
Tragic for sure.
Thanks for sharing, Mr p dog shooter

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turns out there was spray residue at the scene.

There have been several bear attack mid winter including this year in Alaska.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something ? I don’t see where anyone died.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he died Saturday, there's the story;

https://missoulacurrent.com/mo...20from%20the%20group.

Posts: 320 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
Did I miss something ? I don’t see where anyone died.

Yes you did

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We apparently had a Grizzly bear encounter in Waterton Park, between a hiker and a Grizzly sow and cub, this weekend. Van Tighem is one of the local Whackos. Big Grin

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/wil...-encounter-1.5393949

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1581 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Van Tighem is one of the local Whackos.

Hasn't found a bear that liked him as much as Timothy Treadwell.

Bears do what bears do.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Problem with bear sprays that nobody seems to talk about is...1- can’t reload
2- used too early as when the bear is still too far away
3-you can miss easily when you panic
4-wind will make it miss
Pretty much I’d say carry gun ( practice a lot) and be ready to use it after spray fails if you still have a time...
Then you might have a chance to survive
People who enter Griz country without firearm are walking bear bait

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some more information.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/...ar-yellowstone-park/

An experienced Montana outdoorsman had bear spray but was attacked and killed by a grizzly bear near Yellowstone Park on 15 April 2021.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Seven people with seven bear sprays should have been able to deter the bear from attack right?
I mean, hey he was just in his home and some guy came to his living room ...and whats couple of bites and what’s one dead human?
There is billions of them on earth...

“That’s probably how The pine cone eaters think “

I”ll tell you, it”ll be cold day in hell when I buy bear spray... as I have yet to see 15 shots out of bear spray...I’ll go down shooting

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen spray fail against puny humans.

Let alone using it against a critter that is many times stronger and faster then any human.

And is always armed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spray cans and grizzly protection is a oxymoron and it takes a moron to expect them to work with any certainty at all, sometimes they eat the can after the victim..A firearm is the only real protection to an attack.

The shame is people create the problem and the bear gets shot..You invade its domain and he or she protects its kill, or she protects her cub and we kill the bear..

Im no bleeding heart nor am I known as a liberal, but if folks would pull their head out of their ass and be aware of their surrounding such as this would not happen as much..

One thing Im sure of and thats any species that endangers man is subject to becoming an endangered species no matter what..but the bottom line is. it is what it is..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller,
I doubt that that bear on your floor ever really got used to you! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t blame him
I put him there

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This addresses the Wareton Park attack. Not he person that was killed. I would agree on the Media over reaction! My thoughts on bear spray are at least .308 and a cyclic rate of fire of around 700 to 800 RPM's.

Hiker is an idiot !
Hiking by himself in bear area
Running up hill to outrun the bear.
I think initiating bear spray on a sow bear with cubs is a mistake. If its your only line of defense us it but a bear with cubs is only going to be more incensed to protect her cubs if she is in pain and on the defense.

He probably wanted a ride home and that was the easiest way to do it. Did he pay for the rescue ?

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bentaframe:
Hiker is an idiot !
Hiking by himself in bear area
Running up hill to outrun the bear.
I think initiating bear spray on a sow bear with cubs is a mistake. If its your only line of defense us it but a bear with cubs is only going to be more incensed to protect her cubs if she is in pain and on the defense.

Clearly the hiker was an idjit, bordering on the naïveté level of an Oklahoma moron. Roll Eyes

The unbiased studies of 'Spray v. Firearm' against bears clearly show that 'bear perfume' rarely stops the charges of aggressive or enraged bears. It has worked against merely 'curious' or nuisance bears.

Problem is: the human at large in the boonies doesn't get to pick his bear, and the bear has a plan too.

The Montana idjit should've armed hisself with a hot-loaded 10mm Glock 20 or a Glock 40 before stepping off into the bush.

Hells-bells, the G20 is currently THE Mil-issue sidearm of Denmark's Sledge Patrol Sirius troops, ... and for good reason. These Danish dudes have to deal with angry Polar bears in the arctic areas of Geenland where they camp and patrol.

Not only are Polar bears consistently more aggressive than AK brownies or Grizzs, but during sudden encounters in their camps or while out on the tundra, the Sirius soldiers don't always have their 30-06 rifles in their hands, or even within reach. But their G20s are always on them.

The resident bush bumpkins who hang out on the AK Hunting forum might want to cogitate on those facts for a while. Whistling

https://www.guns.com/news/2019...the-greenland-patrol

Pays to do the research, kiddies.
popcorn

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote