New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope - variable or fixed?
 Login/Join

<PK>
posted
I bought a new rifle, Mauser 98 in 7x64 made by Brno Arms. Now I'm looking for a scope. The question is fixed 7x50 or some variable scope?

I use Meopta Artemis 2000 7x50 on my 300WM and I probably go for it again, because it superb! What do you think?

------------------
P.K.
kozma@desertmail.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PK
I�m curious about the Meopta scopes. They have been on the marked here in Norway the last years, and I have heard that the lens quality are very good. But the saying goes that the finish inside the scope body are to be desired, giving reflexes of light when looking against the sun / light horizon.
Some said it�s like looking into a glass of milk ??
What is your experience ??

Regards Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<PK>
posted
Arild, well, I use my 7x50 Meopta Artemis 2000 for more than year on my CZ 550 Magnum and the problem you described never happened. About the lenses, to tell the truth, you find the same lenses inside the ZEISS scopes (because they are both made by Meopta).

About finish, I'm not sure how about the A-series, but the todays 1000s, 2000s and 3000-series are fully coated inside. I personaly dislike 3000-series, because frames are made from aluminium, not steel like 1000s and 2000s.

Regards Petr

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the 7X50. that is all the power you will need. I have shoot 300 meter matches with a 4X scope and never felt out classed. Sounds like a fine optical system, never seen one here in the states.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Talus>
posted
PK, why do you like the 50mm over the 40mm (or smaller).

Good shooting, Talus

<X-Ring>
posted
Just my 2 cents. Well Petr I would go for the fixed power scope. For the same reasons all my hunting rifles have them.
1 If there is some thing to play with I will play with it, and sure enough will be on the wrong power when a snap shot is called for.
2 Less moving parts means less to go wrong in the field and ruin a hunt.
3 I know I'm goig to catch hell for this, but I feel it is worthy of thought. Most of the truly great shots I have seen in the field. shoot fixed power. I think if you know what size your game should look like in a fixed power scope at different yardages it makes it easer to judge distance.There for making shot placement easer.
Again just my 2 cents

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

<TomA>
posted
You know most of my scopes are variables but I seem to always leave them on one power. I adjust them to where I like them and leave it there. Weard huh?

<X-Ring>
posted
Gees I wish I had that kind of self control! I geuss I'm doomed to a life of fidgeting with stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Petr
Thanks for the info... I think I will give the Meopta a second look. I have a nice BRNO 601 in .308 win. wich I use for roe deer hunting, and it is only proper that it should be fitted with a Meopta scope..dont you think ??

Best regards Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Herb D>
posted
Most of my scopes are variables also. I set them at 3X for going through trees and brush. Then as need arises I crank them up to 6 or 9 power.

You guys made me realize that 75% to 90% of my shots were at 9X. Maybe I really only need an 8X ??

Being used to Leopolds I ruined one hunt when I inadvertently cranked my Tasco scope down instead of up and thereby missed a chance at a nice elk.

All in all, I still prefer being able to choose between 3 power and a higher magnification.

------------------
AU Shooter

<Zeke>
posted
While were on the subject, where can I get a 10X fixed scope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg(or three times as much as my rifle!).
Thanks
Zeke

<PK>
posted
Hi Arild!
Thanks for your reply! Well, I think your Brno 601 is the best reason, why to go for Meopta scope. I prefer 7x50!
I wish you happy shooting and many successes in hunting!

Best regards
Petr

<PK>
posted
Somebody asked me, why I like 50s... well, the 50 is the biggest size which has the same precise lenses as smaller ones. It's really hard to make 56 lens as much precise and accurate as 50 or smaller, practically, you'll never find the 56 scope with the same precise lenses as 50.

And why not smaller? I like the power of fifty, it's much better the 6x42 at sunrise or sunset, that's all...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Herb,
Thats interresting how a 3X ruined your chance at an elk....Elk are 800 to 1000 lbs and I can get a good sight picture with my Leupold 3X at up to 1000 yds...I'm miffed..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I use both types. To me, the determining factor is how the gun is planned to be used. If out on the plains or in the mountains a fixed power is fine and has a lot going for it. Where I hunt deer it is woods and hills, and I might be in a thicket where I can only see 100 feet all around, or I might be in a stand that we have cleared some 200 yard shooting lanes, or next to a field. So for my deerhunting gun I have a variable. I shoot with both eyes open so I really don't have much of a problem getting on target, at least deer-sized targets...

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<karel potyka>
posted
Zeke,
Maybe i can help you- Schmidt&Bender 10x42$565.00.You need your hand just write check and legs to run to the post office to send it.
Karel

<Herb D>
posted
Ray,

A thousand yards? Can you also count the points and measure the brow tines for legal length?
Seriously, not trying to flame, I know that you are unquestionably a very experienced hunter and thus can handle smaller sight-pictures.

Personally, being a creature of habit, I have always liked a highly magnified image in order to be 100% certain of my target, especially in a 4 point or better area.

This was my first out-of-state elk hunt. There were 3 or 4 cows and two bulls crossing a very small clearing about 500 yards away and I couldn't trust my eyes at 3X magnification, considering the split-second timing involved, to be absolutely sure that I was shooting at a legal bull.

This situation was too similar to one 40 years ago when, while leveling off on a nice buck, unbeknownst to me a doe walked behind my intended target resulting in an unfortunate accident that has caused me to be extremely careful ever since. This extra care has rewarded me with fine game and one shot kills ever since.

Herb

<karel potyka>
posted
Petre,
do you know best price and where for spotting scope Meopta HA 75 with eyepieces 20-60x
Thanks-dekuji
Karel

<PK>
posted
Ahoj Karle!
Tenhle Meoptackej dalekohled je novinka, a kdyz je u Meopty neco jako novinka, tak pak na to rok neni cena a dalsi rok se to stejne jeste neda sehnat. Zkus se poohlednout po necem jinem anebo musis pockat. Kdyz jsem se ptal na par mistech v Praze, koukali na me, jako bych prave spadl z jahody... he he ))

Petr

PS Prosim, pis mi na firemni adresu kozma@yxell.com, protoze mail na arabia.com se nejak zhroutil, dik!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think X rings on target.

Gimme 6 x42
Gimme steel tube
Gimme steel mounts

I've shot rabbits and hares at 200-250 yards with both Swarovski nova 6x42. This has a fine 4a reticle but good light gathering, better than my meopta 7x50 (on my 22lr) but that's not an artemis. The only variable I have is on my 9.3x62 in case I have to use it on something moving or charging.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Meopta 7x50 and have noticed a similar problem to the above. I suspect the
inside of the tube in not as matt black as it
could be. It's not as bad as looking through
a glass of milk but it is noticeable in certain light conditions. Apart from that,
it's been a very good scope.

As to regard power, I used a 6x42 Nova for roe stalking for many years before going to
a variable. I find zeroing at x12 much easier than x6, but thats personal. So take your pick, just stay away from cheap variables!

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

I noticed the same thing with regards my 6x42
Nova and my 7x50 meopta. Whats the difference
between a meopta and a meopta artemis or should I say how do i tell which is which??

My Meopta is also sitting on a 22lr at present (an old BRNO)having been replaced by
an 8x56 S&B on my .223. I still regret getting rid of my old nova though:-)

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete E,

My 'old' non artemis is matte black, the artemis I saw in a shop was a crinkle green finish (looked like my dog's vomit!) I can't recall if it said artemis on the scope.

The other problem with my 7x50 is that it has a very long minimum focus range - about 20 yards which is quite often inside the range I shoot at.

I agree that zeroing/load development at 12 power is easier but for me field shooting is better with 6 and I like to keep everything as similar as poss. whenever I shoot

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Short of Breath Shaw>
posted

Just curious, why do you need a 7X50 scope to shoot at something at less than 20 yds? Sorry if I sound terse, I'm not trying to pick a fight!

posted Hide Post

"dog vomit green"...I can see it in now in the latest LandRover brochure!!

I agree with you with regards x6. If my .308
is not available, I sometimes take my .233 &
8x56 S&B Roe stalking but I much prefer x6.
My old Nova is still going strong on a friends .270...He must be the third or fourth owner and I never lost a penny on the deal either:-)

Short of Breath Shaw,

I can't answer for 1894, but my 7x50 & 22lr
is used for lamping rabbits at night. If they were head shot the local butcher paid
a �1 a rabbit; thats like you guys being paid
$1.50 for shooting groundhogs!!:-) Anyway, a lot of these are shot from a Landy and shots can be anything from a few feet to 70 or 80
yards depending how spooky the rabbits are.
We use moderators and .22 sub sonic ammo although some people like the HV stuff for added range. In case your wondering all the above is legal in the UK and accepted practice as pest control. Damn good fun too!:-)

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete E, Short of Breath Shaw

Like Pete E said you often get short shots and while I don't need 7x50 for under 20 yards it's what I've got because it was available and cheap. I first noticed the problem shooting pigeons in a barn.

I quite often shoot deer at ranges of 30 yards or less. The shortest range so far is
6 yards from a low high seat and 12 yards on foot.

The 6 yarder was with my 9.3x62 on 6 power and the 12 yarder with my 243 on 6 power at a fallow doe - bullet not stabilised, hit a rib on entry and turned 90 degrees never penetrating lung. Couldn't believe my eyes when it bounded off as if untouched. Waited 30 minutes went forward (the whole 12 yards!) and could find no blood or hair. Stalked 60 yards and saw it lying up. Shot it through neck. Luckily the shattered rib had produced some secondary fragments which disabled it. I should say we converged on each other I can't get quite as close unaided!

I've moved to a slower heavier load as a result.

My average shot distance is 55 yards. Longest 200yards (and that's only one. 6 power perfect and only 1 power removed from my7x42 binos.