THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    For those getting ready to go antelope hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those getting ready to go antelope hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Since in a couple weeks a lot of you will be going out after antelope, thought I'd share with you this photo to start getting your juices flowing.

While out prairie dog shooting today (eastern Utah) I encountered twp bucks that were eyeballing one-another. The wide one on the left had a doe/fawn with him and the one on the right trotted into the area. The two bucks stayed about 20 yards apart and slowly circled, then both walked off in the direction of the does.

In about four weeks they should get serious about it!

Posts: 3275 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two rifles: Dakota Classic DeLuxe and Ruger Express, both in 25-06.

Ready for duty.

Which will receive the call....?

Oh, goody!!!!! dancing

Can't wait. tu2

Posts: 2582 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
And what bullet to go with in the 25-06!!! Decisions, decisions.

The photo below is the lady causing the two bucks to give each other the evil eye. And you can see it was causing me a dilemma too, as I had a prairie dog targeted but had to wait for somebody to move!

Posts: 3275 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I ready...leaving the 29th of September...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes it is time.
My son and I leave the Dallas area 8/21 for 3 days at the Whittington Center and then an antelope hunt and prairie dog shoot over near Eagles Nest. Returning 8/30, just in time for opening of dove season! Smiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
And what bullet to go with in the 25-06!!! Decisions, decisions.

That would be my only round for the 25-06: Winchester 115 gr. Ballistic SilverTip. Factory ammo.

I love that round. Drops them where they stand. dancing

I happen to use the same ammo (140 gr.) in my 280 Rem. Same results. Deer and antelope.

They are both rated over 3,000 fps. Never chronographed them however.

I use bigger bores and different bullets for elk and large African PG, but for deer and pronghorn, I am sold on the Winchester Ballistic SilverTips.

YMMV. Smiler

Posts: 2582 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures.

Real interesting to watch the bs hassles a goat buck goes thru keeping his harem rounded up. They sure get hassled just doing that, then other bucks come along and get in the way. That's when the does try to take off even more.

Thanks for sharing,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
be careful out there - there are many areas of the west that are extremely dry and access will be limited they don't need any fires

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I will be leaving for Medicine Bow, Wyoming a month from tomorrow and hope to fill a buck and 2 doe tags. My .270 Sako with 150 grain Interlocks will be to tool of choice for the task. Is that 'overgunned?'

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Bigasanelk - I just sent you a PM

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted Pronghorns since 1997, I really need to get my act together, even if it is a hunt for does!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
During three days at Whittington Center, we saw lots of pronghorns and mule deer. The country is green from summer rains and all the game looks to be in good condition.
We check out the ranch and camp tomorrow afternoon and start hunting Saturday.

My son was hitting all the rifle targets offhand out to 500 meters with his .308, so I guess we are ready. Cool

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
During three days at Whittington Center, we saw lots of pronghorns and mule deer. The country is green from summer rains and all the game looks to be in good condition.
We check out the ranch and camp tomorrow afternoon and start hunting Saturday.

My son was hitting all the rifle targets offhand out to 500 meters with his .308, so I guess we are ready. Cool

Did you get 'em?

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Paul, Thank you for asking, but the hunt was a total bust/farce and we left after only one day.
Why?
One week before the hunt the outfitter told us there was no lodge , but a tent camp.
Then , we were told no personal checks, only cash or cashiers checks.
The ranch was overbooked with too many hunters + "state raffle" hunters.
The ranch was a beef factory, devoid any cover; the grass was mowed 4" high by thousands of fat cattle and there were cow pots every where we walked.
The antelope could see a hunter, much less a car over a mile away and immediately spooked and ran out of sight.
The camp was at the ranch cow loading pens and there were swarms of flies due to the fresh cow poop.
There had been a late snow and freeze and killed stock and game, including pronghorn.
The two pronghorn taken that I saw had poor thin antlers/horns and were poor trophies.
The only bright spot was that we had a great guide that worked very hard, but was unable to get us closer than 500 yards to only one sleeping "goat" after a long stalk and a 100 yard crawl.

In all my outings on pronghorn range in Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma , and Texas, this was the worst antelope range I have ever tried to hunt. The rancher and outfitter may have done well on the hunt $$, but it was a total loss for us. I did not book the hunt and will not hunt with this outfitter again, nor go on a hunt booked by the same person again.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at