New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE GREATEST GUNWRITER
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best writer...Jack O'Connor! He could really tell a story.
The guy I'd like to spend a week or so with hunting....Elmet Keith, a character.
Finn Aggard got started much too late and I liked his no "BS" writing.
For the technical side...M.L. "Mic" McPherson without a doubt.
Pistols...Jeff Cooper!!!!!
The two most overrated....Townsend Whelan and Charles Askins.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aagaard, Keith, and Skeeter. Good company all around.

<CARR4570>
posted
I MUST SAY THAT I HAVE NEVER READ ANY KEITH OR O'CONNER. I CAME ALONG TO LATE IN THE GAME FOR THEM. I HONESTLY HAVE TO SAY THAT I READ MORE FOR THE ARTICLES THEMSELVES THAN FOR WHO IS WRITING THEM. I KNOW HE IS "OLD SCHOOL" BUT WHAT ABOUT JOHN TAYLOR. I DON'T THINK WE CAN BLAME THE COMMERCIAL WRITERS TOO MUCH. I KNOW I'M JEALOUS. HELL, I'D ENDORSE "POINTY STICK ARMS CO." IF THEY WOULD PAY FOR ME TO HUNT ALL OVER THE WORLD.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt in my mind!
Elmer Keith, "Hell, I was there" what a great epitaph.
Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Of the old-time, deaseased, or currently inactive writers, I will always rank Jack O'Connor as the best. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment and knowlege from the very sensible Bob Hagel as well. John Jobson was quite a character, but he was also a great and entertaining writer.

Of the current writers, Jim Carmichel is the best in my book, and for a whole lot of reasons. Others who are right up there with him include Ross Seyfried, John Barsness, Terry Weiland, and Craig Boddington.

Guys I miss who I wish would resurface: Steve Bodio and Gary Sitton.

AD

<Dave Stout>
posted
Bob Milek I dought was the greatest writer of all time. But if there was an award for being down to earth, he would get it.

------------------
Dave

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to Skeeter. I miss him.

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Well, I guess you will never get wet if you don't jump in so here goes. Enjoyment from the reading and ability to tell a story? Russell Annabel or Capstick
Best narrative for info, data and detail? Has to be Aagard, straight up.
I met Keith some years ago when the NRA annual convention was in Atlanta and my first impressin of the man was that he spoke and acted exactly the way that he wrote. "Hell, I Was There!" could have been a diary from what I saw of him.
Jack O'Connor was a great writer but I always thought he might have embelished his stories just a bit whilst trying to make one and all believe it was pure gospel. I am just a bit surprised that no one has mentioned Gordon MacQuary. Ruark and others were wonderfully gifted writers. The list could go on and on but I still would go back and reread the old masters.
Best regards.
Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton,

------------------
'Trapper'

posted Hide Post
My choice is a toss upbetween to Fin Aargaard and Kenneth Anderson with third place to Jim Corrbet

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Santala:
"Hell, I was there" what a great epitaph.

Indeed, but certainly not one that Mr. Keith would have chosen for a book title, being an old-school southern gentleman - signing your name under a curse, to be seen in public by women and children, was unthinkable to him. I seem to recall Ken Howell confirming this in a conversation we had a few years ago.

-- Mats

<gamecock>
posted
Number One, Jack O'C, of course. Gordon MacQuary? Now there was an author who gave us a fine read. After reading one of his "Old Duck Hunter" tales you could lean back, close your eyes (often with a tear in them), wish you could've been there and smile. Ruark, in "Horn of the Hunter" put into words what I'd always wanted to say about me and hunting. And, does anyone remember Ted Trueblood...Teddy Roosevelt? Corey Ford was a hoot; and who could take you bird hunting better than Havilah Babcock or Nash Buckingham?

c

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's not much that I can add to the list of great and near-great gun writers. To me, Finn Aagaard was best at getting his message across;no nonsense,just easy to believe facts.
I am suprised that no one even mentioned Larry Koller. His book"Shots at Whitetails",is maybe the best book ever written about hunting woodland deer.
Frank

------------------

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Franke: Yep, I and others did have a temporary memory loss here; Aagaard was a writer to be reckoned with. In fact, it was his article on the .338-06 in the Dec. '86 issue of "The American Rifleman," that I got my my first, best 'reasonable' loads for this relatively new calibre. I think it was Geoff Steer (remember him?) who got the whole .338-06 thing going in a "Guns & Ammo" article about a year or so earlier. Thanks for reminding me of Aagaard.