Find
Notify
Tools

THE GREATEST GUNWRITER
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,
Who is the greatest gunwriter of all time?
My pick is a deadheat between Jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith and Col. Townsend Whelen?
These gentlemen are/were, in my opinion, the creme de la creme of the profession. Great storytellers with lots of common sense and field experience that few can match.
Few contemporary gun scribes can even come close. My pick of the current crop is John Sundra, John Wooters, Larry Weisuhn, and Gary Sitton. Most of the rest are just too commercially oriented or write about hunts that only multimillionaires can afford.
Now what do you think?
Good reading
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I am a big fan of Jack O'connor. Out of the current bunch I can tell you who I ma not a big fan of, Craig Boddington, Massad Ayoob and similar commercially try to sell everything authors who can be bought and sold on a daily basis.

<X-Ring>
posted
Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan & Skeeter Skelton from the old school
New school, Larry Weisuhn, Sheriff Jim Wilson, Mike Ventorino <probly killed that spelling>

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finn Aagaard, followed closely by Skeeter Skelton, Ross Seyfreid and Elmer Keith.

All for different reasons (and all with different philosophies) but all entertaining and informative.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Hillbillybear,

Great handle. This is Hillbillyberry replying.

Finn Aagaard deserves to rank with Townsend Whelen, Elmer Keith, and Jack O'Connor in the dead poet's society.

Of the living oracles, IMHO, the best are Ross Seyfried, Layne Simpson, and Jon R. Sundra. Rick Jamison and M. L. McPherson are treading close behind.

Craig Boddington deserves a category all his own, more of a field reporter and entertainer, most prolific lately, it appears he is out to conquer the world as a one man assault force.

Peter Hathaway Capstick should be classed with Ernest Hemingway and Robert Ruark, true artistes all.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

<lastmohecken>
posted
Keith,Oconner,Capstick,Bob Milik,Ken Waters,Saxton Pope,Oh I know Pope was a bowhunter,just had to metion his name anyway.I forgot one add Bill Jorden to the list also.

[This message has been edited by lastmohecken (edited 03-25-2001).]

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith are incomparable to anyone we have today.

I enjoyed reading Skeeter Skeleton too.

Finn Aagard and Bob Milek. From the current crop of writers Sitton (I forgot his first name) and Ken Waters.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<TomA>
posted
All fine writers but not as helpful as these posts, you guys are honest down to earth and helpful. Last time I wrote to anyone about advice I got a form letter. Some times an expert is "a has been" "Spurt". You all form a pool of firsy hand knowlege that can't be beat!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Conner will always be my favorite, but I also think Jim Carmichel is pretty good. Finn Aagard was also great, too bad he never did a regular column though.

As to Boddington, he has sold out to custom makers. He should stick to the products and hunts the common man can afford for most of his stories. As a career ACTIVE DUTY member of our military I also find his constant use of a reserve (weekend warrior) rank a little old. In short, too much ego, too little substance.

Mac

------------------
When hunting and fishing get in the way of your job, it is time to quit the job!

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
As far as practical advise and entertainment there is only one: Jack O'Connor.

Of course, the kids will never know it.

Will

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAC:
[B]Jack O'Conner will always be my favorite,

As to Boddington, he has sold out to custom makers.

I agree with all those who mentioned Jack O'Connor as the favorite. He was my favorite too. Ironically, if they were to go back now and re-read his articles, I think many people would be put off because he had a florid style, quite unlike the more limpid style that is the norm today. Also, O'Connor himself mostly used custom rifles on his hunts (almost always based on Model 70 actions) and wrote a lot about them. He also championed the Winchester 21 side-by-side shotgun.

I agree too that Elmer Keith, Thownsend Whelen, and the late Finn Aagaard were especially good, almost but not quite rising to the same level as O'Connor in my estimation.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
MAC,

As a former Marine, I know what you are talking about when Boddingtin constantly falls back on his weekend warrior rank. Reminds me of all the yahoos who write for those Solider of Fortune magazines with National Guard commisions. I wonder what it is that Boddington did in the Marines, I doubt he was a Grunt or in a Line unit, usually jarheads mention it. He must have sat behind a typewriter one weekened a month for the last 20 years or so.

Bill

one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post

Jack O'Conner

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bily Lovec>
posted
your leaving out a couple of the best....
the late Jack Lott, lover of big bores
and the late Bob Milek, lover of small bores.
two men at the opposite ends of the spectrum, but both great writers and hunters.

<richard powell>
posted
Colonel Charles Askins .... not necessarily for his sensitivity....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must apologize for an oversight on my list of the greatest of all time( I was half asleep when I posted it). The late Bob Milek and Finn Aagaard belong with the legends previously mentioned. Among the newbies I should have also included John Barsness and Rick Jamison. Sheriff Jim Wilson can also tell a good story but he pales in comparison to the master storyman of the Southwest Skeeter Skelton.

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<buffalo_buster>
posted
I am surprised that noone has mentioned Wayne Van Zwoll yet. I find his writing very interesting. He is informative , witty and most of the times shuns the mega boomer magnums and riflescopes powerful enough to see the frozen ice on Pluto in favor of more traditional and effective rounds and hunting gear.

Wooters and Sundra are also very high on my list of good gun writers of this era.
BB

<Adirondack Joe>
posted
I must say that I agree with all who cast their vote for Jack O'Connor. He was an actual writer, with excellent style, wit, and logic. In his writing he presented the facts as he experienced them and through solid reasoning gave sound advice on numerous topics. He was reluctant to criticize other views unless he had valid arguements and backed up everything he wrote with experiences and reasoning, unlike many writers today. His classic, The Hunting Rifle, will always have a hallowed place in my outdoor library.

<Sooner>
posted
I would have to say Jack O'Connor and Finn Aagaard. I was wondering when someone would get around to Jack Lott. He his right in there with the best of them.

Sooner

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the (R.A.Berry's expression - I like it) Dead Poet's Society:
Finn Aagard, Skeeter Skelton, Phil Sharpe, Jack O'Connor, Jack Lott, Bill Jordan.

Alive and writing: John Barsness, Brian Pearce, Ross Seyfried, Layne Simpson, Rick Jamison, John Taffin, Ken Waters.

Former managing editor of Gun World, Dean Grennell, was a favorite. He helped me see reloading as an end as well as a means to an end. I've not see his writing in quite awhile and don't know his status.

[This message has been edited by BigIron (edited 03-27-2001).]

posted Hide Post
Jack O'Conner is our finest gun writer without a shadow of doubt. Another fellow I learned much from over the years was Bob Hagel and I feel he deserves honorable mention here. He wrote some fabulous books.

As someone mentioned earlier, I think of Capstick as being in the Hemingway, Ruark class.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to go with Finn Aagard. John Taylor was also pretty good.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
Greatest of all time?

Aagaard.

<phurley>
posted
I would add Jim Carmichael and Elmer Keith to Big Iron's group and be happy. Good Shooting.

------------------

[This message has been edited by phurley (edited 03-27-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finn Aagard, Elmer Kieth, G. Sitton, Ken Waters in no particular order. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Jeff Cooper, because he has a definite opinion on everything and it is seldom the popular line.

<Talus>
posted
I must say O'connor.

I wonder if a few of you fellows who are more widely read would mention your favorite works by O'connor, Keith, Aagard, and Whelen. I'll be on the lookout for them, though I realize that O'connor wrote much of his stuff as magazine columns.

Where is Capstick?? Perhaps in a seperate "Adventure Writer" class? In that class, given a limited base of experience, I would have to praise the old writer Russel Anabell (spelling?) His stuff on Alaska fueled me for years. Did he fictionalize? I don't know.

On Gunwriting in General:

I realize that O'connor made his living primarily as a magazine editor/writer, which means his bread was buttered by advertisers.
However, I still find a night/day difference between his work and the work of the current crop of gun writers. I never felt that O'connor wrote ad copy. And I know that his work taught good things about shooting and hunting, to the point of raising the caliber (no pun intended) of the shooting public in general.

This overall positive impact/elevation of the sport is very difficult to acheive for a gun writer. I know of no one who did this as well as O'connor.

I also like Dave Petzal's writing at F&S. I know, I know, F&S is way too "general public" for us real gun lovers.

But the fact is that Petzal is a very good writer. He is also a very good editor. And as the editor of F&S, the line he must walk between product sponsorship and straight journalism is very thin indeed.

Sure, he touts products -- but tastefully -- even honestly, I will go so far as to say. And for every word he spends praising a good product, he spends many preaching things about shooting/hunting that will benefit the average hunter. His never-ending diatribe against the practice of once-a-year shooting comes to mind. After reading his work, I get the feeling he lived it before he wrote it.

By the way, where in NC are you, hillbillybear? I am in Wake county.

Good reading, Talus

<DuaneinND>
posted
I like "gunwriters" that I agree with and I dislike the ones I don't agree with!
Actually I like the writers who write from experience, about the experience, and don't allow their "tale" to become a commercial for the companies who donated the equipment for the hunt/shoot. Honest evaluations are okay, but so often the article smacks of a personal like /dislike of the item. Writers who favor a caliber/action style etc. will not say anything really good about another caliber/ etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith, no more need be said

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
My favorites would be Elmer Keith, Gary Sitton, & Skeeter Skelton. There are a lot of other good writers out there. I had a good conversation on the phone the other day with Ross Seyfried. He took time to answer my questions & offer information.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody remember Dick Wolf who used to write the last page of G&A years ago? Is there perhaps a collection of his "Parting Shot" articles somewhere?

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

<Doc Garnett>
posted
I agree with all of the above and must add Gene Hill, Terry Wieland, Thomas McIntyre and Stewart White. -- Doc

<Doc Garnett>
posted
Oh! And Jim Corbett! -- Doc

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Connor by far. I have a number of his books and, no matter how many times I read them, they're still great. The one I don't have, 'The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America' is a classic; I wish I could find a copy somewhere.
Elmer Keith was okay, but, I never could get past some of his 'big heavy bullets are necessary to kill a pronghorn' ideas. Maybe they were a lot bigger and tougher where he was.
Finn Aagard was great. I miss him already.
Jim Carmichael is excellent, and a superb marksman.
Pat McManus and his 'EXit Laughing' columns were hilarious.
Seyfried and Boddington are not bad - perhaps a bit pretentious. They must have some REALLY rich wives to be able to afford all the guns and hunting trips.
Layne Simpson is always a good read.
That Barsness guy - I don't know if he's altogether with it (although he was right about 56 - 58 grains of one of the 4350's and a good 165 grain bullet being perfect in a .30-06). Did any of you read his article on the .292 BS (I think that's what he called it), in one of the Handloader issues some time ago? I was halfway through it before I figured out (right about the time he mentioned having a reamer made by Monica Lewinski) that he was spreading his own BS.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<quickdraw>
posted
Being a true Tarheel, I have to vote for Ruark. However, Capstick showed tremendous talent. His ability to tell stories, explain technical ideas, and develop the characters mark him high on my list. I've enjoyed everything I have read by him and look forward to reading the rest.

<Mikke>
posted
Jeff Cooper is still the guru.
Finn Aagaard was great as well.

Haven't read all that much of many of the others (dead) to say much about them.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
As far as modern era writers, I like Capstick. He's funny,entertaining and awfully informative.

As a CAREER active duty naval officer, I've had the pleasure of meeting Col. Boddington a few times. Yes it is true that he is a reservist, but he has done considerable active duty time and has served his country honorably. If you don't like the man's writings or opinions, fine, but don't impugn a man's record if you have NO CLUE.

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't rate Skelton, O'Connor Whelen or Aagard since I've read little of their work. Pete Brown was my first gunwriter. A point for that. I read Jim Corbett every year or so and it's still as good as the first time. Elmer Keith is my all time favourite and no one's filling Don Zutz's shoes.

Of the current writers, Ross Seyfried, Jeff Cooper, Mic McPherson, Mike Venturino, Rick Jamison and Sam Fadala are my favourites. Brian Pearce will get there.

The gun magazine that's gone down hill the most? Guns&Ammo, hands down!

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob Hagel, Elmer Keith, and Jack in that order.
Ross Seyfreid , Rick Jamison and John Sundra are favorites of mine.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
Well, it seems that the "worst" thread outlived this one by a long shot...

I don't want to mention the "best" writer, I can't really decide, but I do want to mention the only gunwriter I know who can measure a group accurately; not a small feat in that genre: Our very own Stefan Karlsson.

-- Mats