New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunted bison?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just booked a hunt on the Crow Reservation. I can shoot a meat cow, or an older dry cow. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am asking for advice. Really looking forward to the meat, so I would like to get info from those that were successful as to what they did with it, and any help with the questions below would be appreciated. I have spoken to the outfitter, but I wanted to get some perspective from anyone here, because more info is always better, imho. I should note that this is a free range hunt, and we will be breaking them down and putting them in coolers, so there won't be a chance to hang and age the carcasses.

How much meat can I expect from a younger meat cow versus an older trophy dry cow? (Lets say 600 pounds versus 1000 pounds on the hoof)

Anyone shoot an older cow or bull and not grind it all up? How good or bad was it?

Any cooking tips?

I am thinking that if I took an older cow, I would just grind it all into burger and go from there, we can use the heck out of that at home, and I can make sticks, sausage, etc. However, steaks, roasts and chops would be fantastic, but I don't want to end up with a freezer full of shoe leather.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Posts: 315 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The only bison I have ever killed was supposedly about age 7. FWIW: Most of the meat was tough. Flavor was excellent but it really wasn't any good for anything other than burgers, chili, casseroles, etc.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Go for quality ( youngun)
When hunting for meat I at least always try to shoot yearlings or fawns as you just can’t beat tender meat

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I've shot 2 yearling "meat cow" bison, both on Ted Turner's ranches. One in Nebraska and the other in Montana.

The hanging weight (minus guts, hide, head and legs) was ~420 lbs. which compares to about 200 for a mature cow elk. This probably broke down into about 300 lbs of boneless meat.

The meat is delicious and you handle it like beef. No special treatment necessary. You don't have to age the meat, which most people do the wrong way anyway. Even those who say they don't like wild meat will love bison.

I recommend taking the youngest bison available. All of the cuts will be tended and delicious. If you take an older bison you'll get 5-600 lbs. of ground meat and / or an enormous bill for sausage.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
On difference between Buffalo and Beef to keep in mind when cooking steaks, Buffalo meat does not have the fat marbling and will cook up drier than beef, therefore it will be tougher. If a person likes their steaks cooked well done or medium well, buffalo cooked the same way may not impress them. Just my experience.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes very low fat.
when we ground one up I was adding about 15% beef fat to the buffalo.
I add about the same to our deer just for comparison.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too dry ? Then lard the meat or braise it . Braising can do wonders as you have with the Italian Osso Buco or Coda de Bue [That's veal shanks and ox tail ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a young one on the Henry mountains (drew the cow tag). Very lean meat, good but not as good as beef. Go for a young cow (unless you like eating bison burger)

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YUP! If you're looking at an older animal..... grind it!
I shot an eight year old bull that some of the others in my hunting party were determined to make some steak and roasts with. They all ended up grinding it anyways!
Watch how you cook bison, even a younger animal. The mistake that a lot of people make is to overcook it, making it dry and unpalatable. It should pretty much have a bit of blood running from it.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know how the hunt goes in just over 3 weeks.
I'm headed up to hunt cow buffalo with the Crow Nation shortly.
Grinding almost all of it is on my schedule of things to do. With 5 married kids, we can use burger pretty readily.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to step on any toes but make damn sure they get that hide off as soon as possible not to mention butchering as well. I'm very surprised they would do this in August. Best of luck and hope you have a great time.

quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Grinding almost all of it is on my schedule of things to do. With 5 married kids, we can use burger pretty readily.
Zeke

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shot a couple several years ago. There was more meat than we could handle. As someone mentioned, there is little fat. It is easy to over cook it. Ours was excellent.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy gives good advice.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
If anyone knows it’s Randy
So I was you I’d listen to him before rest of us

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple on Turner's Flying D Ranch in Montana. First one was a bull of about 12 years old for the mount. He was huge, meat was excellent, but tough. I only kept back straps and a bit of other meat. Donated the rest to Gallatin food bank. I also shot a yearling bull in winter, for the freezer. Meat was outstanding! Tender and delicious. I'd love to take another bison for the freezer, but would only shoot a young one.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy j:
Watch how you cook bison, even a younger animal. The mistake that a lot of people make is to overcook it, making it dry and unpalatable. It should pretty much have a bit of blood running from it.

I think this applies to all lean wild game. I've found anything more done that medium rare to be a complete waste of good meat.

I also like to brush olive oil onto my elk/deer/oryx/antelope/whatever steaks before grilling. Searing the oil goes a long way towards retaining the limited natural moisture in the meat and results in a much tastier steak.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this applies to all lean wild game. I've found anything more done that medium rare to be a complete waste of good meat.

When I was hunting/killing more game, Lora and I did most or all the processing ourselves and we would give friends and family deer meat, but we finally went to just giving them ground venison because they just could not stop cooking back strap well done!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cow bison roasts are delicious when slow cooked in a crock pot or such. The steaks were generally disappointing because of the lack of marbling.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
In 2010 I shot two in South Dakota with my 4-bore double rifle. The ranch was the Triple U and was where Dances With Wolves was filmed. As I was traveling around the USA that year I could not use the meat so the ranch sold it to local restaurants and the price of the hunt was priced accordingly. Great experience.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I'd love to turn one of those old bulls into about 1,000 pounds of South African Biltong... anyone every tried it?

I was in a farm store in Petrusville RSA and bought a 5# bag of biltong spice.. Man that was good stuff... I used London broils to make my biltong.. I'd love to get a few more bags of that spice.. can't find it here and I didn't save the bag with the indigence listed to try to make up my own..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted bison several times cows and meat bulls also a trophy 9 yo bull, I did it for the meat. You can get good steaks, roasts out of a bull up until about 3 yo and a cow about 5 yo.
My neighbor here in Pa. raises one or two every year to butcher he sells what he does not use himself . I've been at his place for dinner often an the bison meat off a 2yo cow or bull is great. He says under 2yo too much bone to meat ratio for his liking.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can it and pressure cook some and grind the rest

Posts: 14 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 27 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:
I don't want to step on any toes but make damn sure they get that hide off as soon as possible not to mention butchering as well. I'm very surprised they would do this in August. Best of luck and hope you have a great time.

quote:
Zeke

Thanks Randy,
Your opinion is highly valued!
Oh course you'd know as well or better than anyone that they need to be taken care of in a HUGE hurry. Especially this time of year. I'll follow your advice to the letter!
It'll be "all hand on deck" after the shot.
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a 1600 pound management bull on Ted turners ranch several years ago. The carcass weight was slightly over 800 pounds. I had it processed locally in Montana, the butcher recommended have it hung for 7 to 10 days which he would check to see when it was ready, it hunt for 8 days before butchering, had it frozen and shipped by refrigerated truck. when the meat arrived it was frozen solid. Since it hung and cured the meat was excellent and not tough what so ever for an older bull.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Zeke

Thanks Randy,
Your opinion is highly valued!
Oh course you'd know as well or better than anyone that they need to be taken care of in a HUGE hurry. Especially this time of year. I'll follow your advice to the letter!
It'll be "all hand on deck" after the shot.
Zeke

We learned about this the hard way about 20 years ago. It was a day in the mid-30s getting down to the lower 20s that night. It wasn't supposed to happen this way but we had 3 young bulls down within a couple of hours right before dark. After field dressing them we hung them overnight to start the butchering project the next morning. As soon as we got there the next morning you could instantly smell something was not right. Sure enough with the thick hide and big bones they did not cool down whatsoever and were spoiled.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never took an old one and i always aim for youngs in the hunt we can do.

sometimes i eat bison where the meat was not well taken care and not very good to eat ...

even by -40c below you need to skin them and gut them fast ...

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's a Bison?

IS that the same as Bison New York?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George you just hit on one of my persona;l Pet Peeves. My boss bought a small herd of BUFFALO back in late 2011, a bull and 14 cows if I remember correctly although it may have just been 13.

We went thru 5 years with pretty fair breeding results and by wionter 2016 the herd numbered 64 animals. Now during all that time we only had two incidents of buffalo getting out, and they were staying inside a regular barb wire fence.

The first time was not real long after we turned them out of the holding corral and the bunch got a little too close evidently to one of the crews that were working on the installation of the wind turbines as they were going out one of the perimeter gates and they drove off and left the gate open.

We drove out with some cattle cubes and they followed us right back into the pasture. The other time a few of them found a hole in the fence at a creek crossing they could walk thru, but again we got them to following us and they walkmed right back in the gate.

Fast forward to late summer 2017 and because we had not been selling any off, we had several 2 to 3 year old bulls and herd dynamics being what they are with buffalo the breeder bulls got to chasing the youngs ones off and it turned into quite an ordeal that ended up with the boss being out about 2500 dollars getting a helicopter to push the herd back about 7 miles thru the mesquites on to his property.

With all that out of the way, some folks raising buffalo/people in quasi-scientific situationsi.e. naturalists/wildlife biologists/zoo keepers and others wishing to sound IMPORTANT, make an overt effort to refer to them as Bison and in point of fact, scientifically they are classified as Bison.

The problem I have is that they have been called Buffalo for centuries here in America, the first use in written literature using the word Buffalo was in 1754 I believe, and as a zookeeper that worked with Buffalo for about 15 years, the average zoo visitor, regardless of their nationality, whjen they walked up to the exhibit and caught sight of the group called them BUFFALO.

As a person looks at a map of North America there are hundreds if not thousands of places including cities with the word Buffalo in their name.

So when talking to people about the critters I never refer to the critters as Bison unless the person asks a question about the use of the word buffalo anmd then I give them an explanation not all that different from the last few sentences of this response. shocker animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Buffalo and about one hour to the east is the town of Bison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live in Buffalo and about one hour to the east is the town of Bison.

That's funny and sort of ironic Randy!