Notify
Tools

Almost Lost a Trailcam
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
Any thought about how big this guy is?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Big enough that I would like to be able to get a shot at him.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wild guess 340lb's a 6footer

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bears swat and bang trail cams around all the time.

over 300 pounds if one had him come into a bait it would be a shooter

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under 200 lbs.long skinny body,legs look long next to body and nose is pointy.A small sow.Big boar bears have enormous butts ,legs look short because body is so big and heads are huge.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a mature boar,he dressed at 250.Not big,but bigger than the average bear shot.Notice how broad shouldered he is and no little doggy snout.

This gives you a better idea of how broad he was.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, 250 pounds at the top. Probably more like 200-225.

You can see no belly, and the legs taper to the wrists. Big bears, in my experience, have a pronounced beer gut and the legs are straight to the feet, no or very little taper at the wrist. Even on a lean spring bear.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I was holding off to get a zone D tag, but I put in for a zone C tag for next year. I have more then enough points, so it is pretty much guaranteed. There has been a definite increase to the bear population in the area. I have defiantly been getting more pics of them in the cams that I put out. Most of the time I get very close face shots. However, the past two years I have lost one trail cam per year to bear damage. Its getting to the point were I'm more worried about bear damage then theft.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bears can play havoc on cams.I have six bait stations going this year.They are about 2 miles apart.I take a guy wire and run it between two trees about 8 feet up and suspend a small bucket of jam or icing from it.This gives you an idea if any of the bears have any size.I only put in for zone C now as it takes around 10 years to draw a tag in B..I buy a B tag and bait for other hunters to have some fun.If they shoot one its as good as me getting one myself!!! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zone C tags are only running about every 4 years they kill some big bears there.

If I was baiting and wanted a big bear I hunt as far north in Zone C as I could.

posted Hide Post
Zone C tags only take 1-2 years now. According to the WI DNR web site 79% of the applicants with 1 preference point drew tags. Also the state law just changed eliminating the Class B license.

Posts: 14 | Location: WI | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are bear population just keeps increasing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Are bear population just keeps increasing

A friends Son is a State Game Biologist.He says the State way under estimates the population of Bear,Bobcat and Wolves.The thinking is they will not have to deal with the anti-hunters as much if they only allow minimum tag sales.We have way more bear around here than the estimated population for area B.I have seen 5 Bobcat this summer.They are very common in this area.10 years ago you never saw them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has become common to see sows with 3 and 4 cubs doesn't take long or many of them to increase an areas population.

We have no trouble finding cats to run during season.