New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
THanksgiving has always been my favorite hoilday. My adopted and biolgoical family would always hold an elaborate feast to celeberate another year of life on Thanksgiving. This feast would be the only time I would see so much of my family in one place interacting together.

We had to set up a big table in the living room for everyone to have a place to dine. We would play Rook, Checkers, and Rummy tournements.

My Uncles on my biological mother's side would bring up their shotguns and my father (adopted) and I would attempt to best them in a Turkey Shoot. This would be followed by a Shotgun Safari where we would take squirrels, groundhogs, and the occasional grouse which would become second feast that weekend before everyone went home.

Football, played semi-tackle, was played in between.

The memory I remember most is how happy everyone was. Looking back, I know everyone was not "happy." However, everyone allowed themseleves to be for this weekend. Sunday evening would break up the feast as everyone would depart. Half of them would not be seen for another year.

This ended by the time I was fourteen. We would never all be in the same place at the same time again. Those of us who would gather on this day going foward would be reduced by the end of lives. Now, my adopted mother, old and not healthy after loosing so many we loved does not wish to have dinner with my wife and I.

These Thanksgiving feast were replaced with office feast as I grew up. My first firm was high volume and high intensity Plaitniff's firm. We worked over sixty hours a week. We spent more time with one another than we did with any family. However, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the Office would close and deep fired rock crusher bluegill and homemade pies. I have continued this in my own Firm.

Thanksgiving remains my favorite hoilday. This year my wife and her family will smoke a bone in venison ham, off the doe I killed last week, rubbed with sea salt, black pepper, cheyyne pepper, wrapped in bacon and set in a pan with hard cider vinger. We will shoot some clays.

The world from my point of view tries to skip over Thanksgiving for the commericalism and marketing that is Christmas. One barley hears or sees Thanksgiving, but everyone is worried about how Black Friday will go on.

I hope this long weekend will allow all of you to be wtih those you love in joy. If you have to look at chairs that have been vacated or replaced, I hope you feel the loss. Yet, instantly fell the warmth of joy at those memories.

Happy Thanskgiving Accurate Reloading.

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice post.

I have a ritual when I put away the Christmas tree: I ponder the things that have happened in the current year and wonder what the next year will bring. Most years are fairly non-eventful, but of course, 2020 was anything but uneventful. My father nearly died from Covid and my crash with a coyote while riding my bike (which caused my fall hunting season to be cancelled) were definitely bad. On the other hand, we finished our Colorado place and my business will have the best year ever. So I do have much to be thankful for even if I didn't hunt as much as I would have wished.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best post you've ever made Mr 500! I loved it and you're nice to share such personal info with us.

Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday and has been all through growing up and is yet still as a grandpa 12 times over.

It's my favorite because it brings people together through genuine gratitude.

Thanks,
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
THanksgiving has always been my favorite hoilday. My adopted and biolgoical family would always hold an elaborate feast to celeberate another year of life on Thanksgiving. This feast would be the only time I would see so much of my family in one place interacting together.

We had to set up a big table in the living room for everyone to have a place to dine. We would play Rook, Checkers, and Rummy tournements.

My Uncles on my biological mother's side would bring up their shotguns and my father (adopted) and I would attempt to best them in a Turkey Shoot. This would be followed by a Shotgun Safari where we would take squirrels, groundhogs, and the occasional grouse which would become second feast that weekend before everyone went home.

Football, played semi-tackle, was played in between.

The memory I remember most is how happy everyone was. Looking back, I know everyone was not "happy." However, everyone allowed themseleves to be for this weekend. Sunday evening would break up the feast as everyone would depart. Half of them would not be seen for another year.

This ended by the time I was fourteen. We would never all be in the same place at the same time again. Those of us who would gather on this day going foward would be reduced by the end of lives. Now, my adopted mother, old and not healthy after loosing so many we loved does not wish to have dinner with my wife and I.

These Thanksgiving feast were replaced with office feast as I grew up. My first firm was high volume and high intensity Plaitniff's firm. We worked over sixty hours a week. We spent more time with one another than we did with any family. However, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the Office would close and deep fired rock crusher bluegill and homemade pies. I have continued this in my own Firm.

Thanksgiving remains my favorite hoilday. This year my wife and her family will smoke a bone in venison ham, off the doe I killed last week, rubbed with sea salt, black pepper, cheyyne pepper, wrapped in bacon and set in a pan with hard cider vinger. We will shoot some clays.

The world from my point of view tries to skip over Thanksgiving for the commericalism and marketing that is Christmas. One barley hears or sees Thanksgiving, but everyone is worried about how Black Friday will go on.

I hope this long weekend will allow all of you to be wtih those you love in joy. If you have to look at chairs that have been vacated or replaced, I hope you feel the loss. Yet, instantly fell the warmth of joy at those memories.

Happy Thanskgiving Accurate Reloading.

Thank-you for that. I've always found Thanksgiving to be a truly meaningful occasion and Easter to be the most profound. This Thanksgiving will be my wife and I having dinner with my former deputy commander and her husband. We'll enjoy good company, good wine, and good food...but family will be many states away this year. My only regret about two lives of military service (mine and my father's) is that family is spread far and wide.

My favorite Thanksgiving memories are from my childhood. We almost always lived on military bases, so lots of kids. Play football all day, eat some food, then play football until we can't see the ball. Thanks for rekindling those memories.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving for me was always a BIG FAMILY GATHERING of usually between 3 and 5 generations, depending on who was still living at that time. Those of us that hunted, got up early on Thanksgiving morning, took the labs and the Auto 5's and hunted ducks and geese, arriving home just after most of the others were just getting things going for the day. This tradition lasted until I was married and eventually left for law school. Geez, that's been over 46 years ago! Thanksgiving means family to me, and literally giving thanks for all that God has blessed me with. After all, you can be rich, successful and have the world, but without your family you are really nothing at all in the eternal scheme of things. When the chips are down, family is, and means everything. Because of that, I've always made family my number one priority ahead of all else, including my 39 years of practicing law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After all, you can be rich, successful and have the world, but without your family you are really nothing at all in the eternal scheme of things. When the chips are down, family is, and means everything

Excellent!! tu2

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Family and friends! What else does a man need?

Great post, thanks for sharing! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
As a child I remember big thanksgiving celebrations in Wyoming at my grandmother's house. My father turned 80 a week ago, and one of my earliest memories is of his 40th birthday 40 years ago and how that celebration went on into Thanksgiving. 4-5 generations of family were present, and we ate well.

Easter in Australia and ANZAC day are the only celebrations of family and country that come near what I remember as a child of Thanksgiving.

Have a wonderful day, and enjoy what you have for you are alive and hopefully your friends and family can join you in some way.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have spent the last 25 years hunting pheasants every Thanksgiving over our Springer Spaniels with friends. Great tradition. Great dogs. Great memories.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
My two sons are now 49 and 46, and no longer hunt. When they were in high school in Michigan they were both successful hunters, bagging several deer. When they went away to college, they would come home for Thanksgiving. We leased 200 acres in the “Thumb” of Michigan, 85 miles one way from home. On Thanksgiving morning we’d drive to the lease well before sunup and hunt until one of us was successful. My boys were tall athletic guys and would cut a sapling down and carry the deer out suspended on the sapling. Our record was deer down, gutted, carried 1/2 mile to the truck, and driven home 85 miles and boys back in bed by 9:00 AM. My ten year old grandson has expressed an interest in hunting, so I gave him my old Stevens Savage Youth .22, plus a .223 Ruger Model 1 and a Match .177 pellet gun. If his dad OKs it, I’ll take him with me deer hunting in 2021.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote