Find
Notify
Tools

When is New Mexico's actual draw?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I was hoping for today, it isn't supposed to be until next week but they have posted them about a week early usually.

So far not today but I am hopeful!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
According to the NMDGF calendar, results will be available April 28. As you mention though, they often post a few days to a week early. So maybe late next week?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have logged in and refreshed every day 3 or 8 times a day.

I am hopeful we know in the next couple of days so I can start making my fallback plans.

We are not the worst though. Dragging out other state draws over 3 months makes Arizona and other really try on my patience.

Not sure about you, but I am a 5 year old on Christmas morning every time I log in.

I actually really enjoy application season, just not good for my nerves.

I think 2022 will be easier, as everything will be random. If I don't draw much this year I have enough points for Wyoming Antelope and Mule deer, and Coues in a good rifle unit in Arizona. Being this close to Texas I think I am going to do another free range exotic hunt, I really had a good time last year with aoudad.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm mixed. The draw is kinda like investing or buying a suppressor. I pay a bunch of money, and then try to ignore it until someone calls me and says "the draw is out!" Then I log in, slowly because I'm late to the party and the 'net is bogged down, and weep for my lost opportunities. Just like investing. Smiler

WY, AZ, and TX are potential backups for me as well, depending on what NM offers. Though I don't have many points in WY, my older two kids should have enough to draw decent goat tags. I would try for a couple doe tags, but mostly just go along for the ride (or be the ride, as the case may be).

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still trying to party with my day trading, but it is really flat. I haven't moved anything in a couple of weeks.

We ought to have an AR West Texas/Southern NM BBQ some day when everyone has their shots.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I’m ready for some results, too. Have several grand sitting in other places besides my account. WY elk, Utah, New Mexico, Montana, now Colorado, soon Nevada and Oklahoma. I’ll toss in SD, MT antelope, KY and PA elk before it’s all over with. Almost forgot the rest of the AZ species. It’s never ending madness.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they deleted the backdoor last year.

This year when I look at the pending the last three are always deer, elk, oryx in that order. If I updated everything else changes in order except those three.

Didn't notice it before today.

I know it is kind of like seeing a bit of leg in a split skirt, or at least I hope it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping!

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Drawing results are posted! Wife andI drew our elk tags!

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Yep, turns out it was a week early. Pretty slim pickings hereabout. 32 applications in my family of five. We drew eight tags, four of which are javelina. A couple youth deer tags, an elk tag, and a youth off-range oryx tag. I hope the quail population is solid again this year. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew the area 34 deer tag.

That was it. Hoping for a badge holder oryx tag, even that is a drawing. And I only have about a 20% chance to get that tag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big ‘Unsuccessful’ for me and my son!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
Nada for me and my buddies. Brutal.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
Woops, spoke too soon...

One buddy drew deer and aoudad. Looking forward to the latter, never hunted aoudad in NM before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I got one deer tag out of 8 applications. It was his fortunately for him.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.J.:
Woops, spoke too soon...

One buddy drew deer and aoudad. Looking forward to the latter, never hunted aoudad in NM before.

Be ready to hike and glass!

Get a good sole on your hiking boots. I wore some light hikers and killed my feet the first day (never have had a problem elsewhere in the West).

One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Woops, spoke too soon...

Get a good sole on your hiking boots. I wore some light hikers and killed my feet the first day (never have had a problem elsewhere in the West).

Right on, hear you loud and clear. I have some experience with west Texas aoudad which sounds really similar so we'll be ready. My buddy's tag covers Unit 34, of which half is OTC. I may grab one just to have the option.

Ironically I just got back from an aoudad hunt in S. Texas that was glassing and shooting in high winds. Definitely need more practice but I feel better about those shooting conditions now.

You think my Salomon X-Ultra 3's are too light for this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Quest 4D GTX Solomons I'd wear them or I think I would, as I haven't hunted in them in tougher conditions only elk in the Gila and it is pretty flat.

I have no experience with the lighter boots.

I will be hunting 34 for deer and aoudad on OTC tags this year.

Last year I hunted 34 for aoudad and Chinati Mountains in West Texas for aoudad and I wore Scarpa/Kuiu mountaineering boots both times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Woops, spoke too soon...

Right on, hear you loud and clear. I have some experience with west Texas aoudad which sounds really similar so we'll be ready. My buddy's tag covers Unit 34, of which half is OTC. I may grab one just to have the option.

Ironically I just got back from an aoudad hunt in S. Texas that was glassing and shooting in high winds. Definitely need more practice but I feel better about those shooting conditions now.

You think my Salomon X-Ultra 3's are too light for this?

I am not sure as I am not familiar with those.

I have never had any sort of foot problems hiking. I thought the Utah mountains were a good test.
I wore some Meindls light hikers (long since discontinued) for my aoudad hunt (we hunted near Roswell). The
rocks must be harder there or something because after day 1, my feet were hurting. I switched to my Meindl Perfekts
and they worked out great.

It was probably one of the hunts that I have hiked the most. The last day we hunted, I believe we logged about 11
miles (cannot remember for sure). We finally found them and my friend talked me into a shot that was longer than
I should have taken. It was a clean miss and was 100% my stupidity and fault.

My friend was certain that it was well over the 30" mark but who knows??

This was back in 2011 I believe. It was a great challenge and memorable hunt. Good luck to you and your friends.