THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Recommendations for San Antonio area hunting in March 2020

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for San Antonio area hunting in March 2020
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,

My wife will be traveling to San Antonio in March 2020 for a conference. I will tag along and would like to fit in a short hunt. Can anyone provide recommendations for outfitters or hunting opportunities in this area? I have only visited Dallas-Fort Worth and Austin so I am unfamiliar with the San Antonio area.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Lots of hunting in that area, but for a quick and VERY interesting hunt, I recommend the AOA high fenced exotic ranch at Hondo, just 45 minutes west of San Antonio on highway 90. There is lodging on the ranch and hotels and cafes in Hondo.

My friends and I have hunted exotics there for more than 10 years. They have so many types of critters there that it is like hunting in a zoo! Your wife might enjoy a tour just to see the animals which include Kudu, blackbuck, elk, bison, water buffalo, exotic goats and sheep, exotic antelope and deer, hogs, Nilgai, etc.

Here are a couple of links:
https://www.facebook.com/expticranchoftexas/

http://www.huntingexoticstexas.com/about.html

Have fun!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you wanting to hunt?
Pig and javelina can be had pretty cheap down south, exotics north in the hill country, several game bird ranches too.

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crshelton - Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check them out.

perry - To be more specific, my main interest would be hogs because I live in Pennsylvania and we don’t have hogs up here. I would be interested in hogs, javelina, wingshooting or non-trophy exotics. Because I have a lot of taxidermy, I tend to prefer non-trophy hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
will you need lodging or is it day hunting and returning back to SA?

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guided or do it yourself?

I'll ask around down south and get you some recc's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
Guided or do it yourself?

I'll ask around down south and get you some recc's

Either option works for me. I would either do a day hunt with no lodging, or a 2 day hunt with a night lodging. I am just trying to squeeze some hunting into an otherwise off-season period back home. If you have any options for hogs I will be very interested. I appreciate any information that you could provide, I definitely want to get some hunting in!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen - Thank you for the recommendations. I ended up booking a hog hunt with Thompson Hunting Lodge in Crystal City:
https://www.thompsonhuntinglodge.com/

It is a 2 hour drive from San Antonio.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Please be sure to let us know how the hunt went?thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ley me know if you would like some site seeing and eatery recc's. Include what part of town yall are staying in.

Perry