Notify
Tools

Cheap Thrills............
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m calling this post “Cheap Thrills”

Please pardon the old song reference.

To some degree, my musical tastes are stuck back yonder a ways.

Much of what passes for music these days don’t seem to interest me much.........

Had not seen the sun in about two weeks. Not cold, but just crappy weather. Cloudy and rainy for the last two weeks. On top of that I was sufferin’ from a severe case of SDD (shooting deficit disorder). Last time I went to my lease almost a month ago I ended up sleeping in in the mornings and eating and sitting around a campfire with my buds, rather than hunt. First time I’ve not hunted in 16 years of almost monthly trips. Turkey season opened last Saturday March 21, and since I’d not killed anything since my birthday December 21st, I was primed.

Anywho, why Cheap Thrills. Well it’s like this. I was in my favorite gunshop yesterday and was paying on a rifle I have in lay away. Guy was paying on a new Benelli shotgun he said was specifically for Turkey. It was a $2,000 gun. I showed him the pix of the two turkey I took last week-end. He mentioned he had a 500 Nitro in a Heym double rifle coming in next week and that he had safari’s booked with Ivan Carter for the next three years. Each in June. Gonna do plains game first year. Buffalo and leopard the second year and Lion and elephant the third year. I got to thinking, wow, that’s a lot of money he’s gonna be shelling out.

My latest trip to my lease cost less than $300 (I did not fill up my spincast feeders with corn). That’s for gas, groceries and beverage.

Don’t have to hire a guide, as its DIY.

Can sleep in if I want and not feel guilty.

Have plenty of space to roam, with nobody there but me.

Best of all, NO CELL SERVICE unless I go to the top one of a couple hills.

So rather than regale with a chronological dissertation. I’ll just post some timely pix.

Final tally,

1 coon, (made the mistake of wakin' me up in the middle of the nite, squalin and bawlin')
3 hoglets
2 Tom Turks

JAPPF,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great day. Did you fry up the pig nuts ? Great picture of the road runner. Didn't know they went in trees. What kind of turkeys ? Rios ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quit yer bitchin'! Looks like you're living the life of Reilly to me! jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Who's knife? I see whoever it is is a Master Smith! tu2

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya....Nice pics as always! I can relate too! Cheap Thrills! Pretty good way to operate from the looks of it!

Zee

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't put a price $ on time well spent...
It's good for the soul.
The photo's are once again AMAZING

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that beer any good?

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
724wd,

The knife in the pix was definitely made by an ABS master smith. Mike Williams is the Maker, and he is posting here as "Lost Okie". He has several posts in the Knife and Blade forums.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5021043/m/4301026902

ZRR,

good luck on your upcoming Aoudad and Axis hunts. Hopefully it won't be too hot by time you get here. Be sure and keep plenty of refreshment handy as the combination of heat and low humidity in the areas you'll be hunting can be hazardous to a fellows well being if he does not stay hydrated.

JB,

Lone Star, it is what it is. I can think of a dozen beers I like better, but under the circumstances it filled the primary test

1 Ice Cold.

Some I like better..........

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/9171002802/p/1

R,

I take it that you did not get froze to the ground or become finger food for some Grizz on your latest excursion.

10/4 on time well spent. I figure, I could do one premium elk hunt, or a trip to Africa, each year, or for the same money go for 3 to 5 days, 15 to 20 times a year. Sixty to eighty days a year afield here are fine for an old fart with small dreams.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When (if) I grow up I wanna be Geedubya!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a good time doing something you enjoy, not a damn thing wrong with that.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Looks like you had a good time doing something you enjoy

Randall,

I don't have the words to express how much I take pleasure in just being "afield",

one of the reasons I try to say it in pix........

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This^

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely get that!!

Zee

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen Geedubya........Amen brother!

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am at a loss for words!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
" an old fart with small dreams"
I am going to steal that line a pretend like I thought of it!!!!!!!
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy these posts!!!

Thanks!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Keep living your dream and building memories. Doing what YOU love is what it's all about.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote