New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk scope decision 2-10 or 3-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For a new savage 338 WM with a 20" barrel. I am picking between the Leupold VX5 HD 2-10x40mm and 3-15x44mm.

1" longer, 2 oz heavier, not that much difference.

But the 3-15 comes with side focus, which is one more thing to deal with.

How much of a PITA is side focus to deal with? Does it require constant adjustment? Or is it really a non-issue?

If the 3-15 did not have the side focus, I am pretty sure I would choose it, if for no other reason than to look for antlers, spike, or not.

This is for Arizona, not sure which part, but I don't expect 600-yd shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2-10 scope is plenty powerful and has fewer gadgets to fool with. Keep it simple.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2-10 for me

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 2x10 expecting a 250-300 yard shot.

I got my shot at 75 yards on 5 power.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2x10 with multiple aiming points.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either. I use both.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For that rifle I would go 2-10 and get B&C reticle if available.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4-6x is plenty. Those big scopes are not necessary.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the 3-15.

I was sitting in a tree stand in Germany in 2018 trying to discern between two roe bucks and I couldn't quite make it out with my 8x56 binoculars.

The rifle I was using was a Leica in some obscure power range like 1.8-16 or something. These bucks were 250 yards away, and roe bucks are really small 65 pounds on the hoof maybe.

Rolling the power ring to 12 gave me the resolution to make out what buck to shoot first (I shot them both, as I was quick enough to get both of them shot).

At 8 power I couldn't discern between either buck with heavy cover.

The 3-15 is an awesome scope, and the focus knob to me is a plus. For most elk hunts keep it at 6 and focus on an object 100 yards away and hunt with it that way.

If you end up with a longer shot you can crank it up. Shorter shot 6x would work, and if you need to drop it to 3x.

Killed my free range aoudad in West Texas about 15 months ago at over 370 yards with my 6-24x56 Meopta cranked to 24. Rare to need that much power when hunting but it came in handy that day.

My father is 80. I sent him a 3-15 Japanese made Weaver about 10 months ago for his 6.5 Creedmoor. He thought I was nuts for picking that optic. He really is enjoying the added power, and the focus diopter on the left side. I think you will too. Killed a really nice pronghorn buck with it last fall.

Replaced it with a 2-7 Leupold Vari-X original.

A lot of guys bitch and moan about using a more complicated optic. I do not see the point to not move forward. Especially with guys driving new trucks, wearing top end Gore-Tex man panties.

If you want to struggle go and hunt with a muzzleloader and round balls.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
The 2-10 scope is plenty powerful and has fewer gadgets to fool with. Keep it simple.

Agree!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
My vote is the 2-10x42 vx5hd

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did say what 2x10 and elk at 75 yards. That scope is actually a 2x12 VX6HD. But the last time I was in Europe I used my 7mmSTW with 3x15.

I shot a small pig at less than 40 yards on 15 power in a new growth up to your waist clear cut, and my big Stag at 112 yards on 15 power.

In an oak forest I shot the fallow on 15 at over 100, power, but should have turned it down for that bc of all the moving the bucks were doing.

I also shot a whitetail at 245 yards on 15 power out of a food plot that year. The 3x15 of now is no bigger than a 3x9 from the 1990s.

Either will work. I like them both. If you have lab on hunting the big bears maybe the 2x10. If your 338 is more general use the 3x15. I would still vote 2x10 VXHD for a 338. Honestly, would move up to the 2x12.

I went with the 2x12 bc I could not bring myself to put a 15 or 18 power scope on a 35 Whelen. I thought folks would make fun of me. When I hunted the big plot, I had the scope back up to 12x and was glad for. I bought the 2x12 VX6 HD because I got it on sale for less than the 3x15 VX5 cost me.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I went from a 3-9x Redfield many years ago to a Leupold 3.5-10x on my 270. On my bigger rifles I use Leupold 1.5-5x and like them better. They're good out to 400 yards and much better up close in the the dark timber.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How much of a PITA is side focus to deal with? Does it require constant adjustment? Or is it really a non-issue?

Side focus is invaluable for seeing the mirage (and judging wind) just before you shoot. If I think I might shoot beyond 300, it is the only scope I use.

That said, did you by chance get an early season rifle tag? If so, you won't be shooting very far.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 3-15 power. I stand hunt elk. Which means I am almost never successful. But, I'll have lasered all the areas where I'm likely to shoot and will have adjusted parallax accordingly. I keep mine on 6 power unless I'm in the dark timber. High end is best for the bench, and you'll be happy it's there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
That said, did you by chance get an early season rifle tag? If so, you won't be shooting very far.

No, so far just points. I have 4 now. Looking at applying for a hunt next year not too close to late november (Ill be deer hunting). I don't care if I get antlers at all, just want to shoot an elk, I am still trying to decide which hunt is best for me. The draw is a bit confusing.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
3.5-18X44mm. They're on most of my rifles from 270 up through 325 WSM. I've killed a number of Coues in Mexico, Grizz in Alaska, Mule Deer in the West and scores (yes, scores) of African plains game on 16 African Safaris with that scope on my plains game rifles. Mine are all Swarovski Z-5's with custom turrets from Outdoorsman's in Phoenix. With that said, I'd suggest the 3-15X44mm. I've also shot elk with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X40mm on my 338's. I believe that scope might have been discontinued by Leupold.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
50 years ago I thought a 2-7 scope was plenty. Now I run a lot of 3-15/4-16 type scopes. I like side focus very much. You can set it at 150-200 and just go with it. Or fine tune it for ambush shots at distance. I'm probably going to do cataract surgery next year. The higher power scopes (within reason) help me in load development too.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 2x7x28 and its the same size as my 4x28 old Leupold...Most of my deer, elk, and about everything else has been killed with a 2X or 4X fixed Leupold, an elk is a fairly bit targer and the kill zone is about 2.5 feet for goodness sake..I wonder sometimes if high powered scopes are a crutch for a lack of confidence in ones shooting, and they never have used a fix power scope in the first place..????

I dislike big scopes and I like lean and mean rifles and scope power does not make one a better shot..I really like my 2.5 Leupold Alaskan on my Remmer 7x57 carbine..

I suppose Im in the AR doghouse for my opinnion, but oh well, its just my opine.
sofa diggin stir

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gone to only 2.5-8 Leupolds for all of my rifles, from 25-06 to 375 H&H. The scope is small (36mm obj.). For my DG rifles (40+ calibers), I use open sights. At 70 yrs old, I finally mounted a Leupold FXII 2.5 fixed power on my 404 Jeffery and I really like its even smaller size (6.5 oz.), 5" eye relief, and bought two more to mount on my 416 and 450 NE.

I too do not like large scopes that ruin the balance of the rifle and add carry weight, but that is just me. Enjoy your choice, and good hunting to you!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Ray on this one. I have hunted elk with everything from a fix 3 power, fixed 4, 2X7, 3x9 and a 4X12. I have only used the higher powers a few times when I am trying to distinguish a legal bull when they are at a distance and blending in with the background. Almost all of my shots are at the lower powers of the variable scopes. A 2.5-8 is about perfect. If you want a little more power go with a 4X12.

Posts: 480 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Just get one and go hunting, if you can’t see shit ...get closer

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have used a 2x7x28 and its the same size as my 4x28 old Leupold...Most of my deer, elk, and about everything else has been killed with a 2X or 4X fixed Leupold, an elk is a fairly bit targer and the kill zone is about 2.5 feet for goodness sake..I wonder sometimes if high powered scopes are a crutch for a lack of confidence in ones shooting, and they never have used a fix power scope in the first place..????

I dislike big scopes and I like lean and mean rifles and scope power does not make one a better shot..I really like my 2.5 Leupold Alaskan on my Remmer 7x57 carbine..

I suppose Im in the AR doghouse for my opinnion, but oh well, its just my opine.
sofa diggin stir

For moose hunting in Alaska, one of my 338WM rifles has a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x scope, and the other a Leupold 3-9x40 (it has an illuminated red dot in the center). My favorite of the two scopes is the lower-power one.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I am a huge fan of the 3-15.

I was sitting in a tree stand in Germany in 2018 trying to discern between two roe bucks and I couldn't quite make it out with my 8x56 binoculars.

The rifle I was using was a Leica in some obscure power range like 1.8-16 or something. These bucks were 250 yards away, and roe bucks are really small 65 pounds on the hoof maybe.

Rolling the power ring to 12 gave me the resolution to make out what buck to shoot first (I shot them both, as I was quick enough to get both of them shot).

At 8 power I couldn't discern between either buck with heavy cover.

The 3-15 is an awesome scope, and the focus knob to me is a plus. For most elk hunts keep it at 6 and focus on an object 100 yards away and hunt with it that way.

If you end up with a longer shot you can crank it up. Shorter shot 6x would work, and if you need to drop it to 3x.

Killed my free range aoudad in West Texas about 15 months ago at over 370 yards with my 6-24x56 Meopta cranked to 24. Rare to need that much power when hunting but it came in handy that day.

My father is 80. I sent him a 3-15 Japanese made Weaver about 10 months ago for his 6.5 Creedmoor. He thought I was nuts for picking that optic. He really is enjoying the added power, and the focus diopter on the left side. I think you will too. Killed a really nice pronghorn buck with it last fall.

Replaced it with a 2-7 Leupold Vari-X original.

A lot of guys bitch and moan about using a more complicated optic. I do not see the point to not move forward. Especially with guys driving new trucks, wearing top end Gore-Tex man panties.

If you want to struggle go and hunt with a muzzleloader and round balls.

That’s exactly why I have scopes with higher end magnification. I would never shoot with it cranked up, but it is handy to help identify better.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Side focus is invaluable for seeing the mirage (and judging wind) just before you shoot. If I think I might shoot beyond 300, it is the only scope I use.

I place a lot of stock in this guys opinion. He is a serious shooter.

The VX6 is an incredible piece of glass (not sure how much better the HD is). I sold my Nightforce 3-15x56 after placing it next to my 3-15x56 VX6 Leupold. The difference was incredible. Plus the weight was roughly 30 oz compared to Leupolds 20 oz (roughly).

The additional weight of a larger scope is worth it to have bigger objective and some more zoom. After all, I assume this isn't the only hunt this scope will go on.

I bought two and put each in a LaRue mount and can swap between a few rifles as I please. At $2k+ of glass for each scope, I don't have the luxury of buying one for every gun. Learn the difference between each guns zero and resighting it is a breeze.

I have shot literal truckloads of meat with my 1-4x Leupold. That doesn't mean its the best choice.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
n elk is a fairly bit targer and the kill zone is about 2.5 feet for goodness sake

Says a lot about a shooter if they can not hit a 2.5 foot target every time at 300 to 500 yards.

Under the proper conditions

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Anytime you go above 12 power you will have an adjustable objective. Side focus or end of scope bell. I do like the side focus a lot better than the end of the scope as its easier to reach while in a shooting position. Either scope will do fine just make sure you are familiar with the equipment you take.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, find someone who can glue about four inches onto your barrel, then top your restored .338 with a mid-power scope with a low end around 2-3 and a high end not more than 9 or 10. Keep it set on 4-5X until and unless you have a shot opportunity at an elk at 200 yards or more -- if it's that far away you'll have plenty of time to dial up the magnification and if it is closer then you could hit it with iron sights.

Since when does an elk not appear large enough when magnified four times to sight on plainly? Jesus.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did end up getting the 2-10x. I didn't want to complicate matters with something else to adjust.

I sighted in a couple of weeks ago, at 100 yds, using HV100 powder and 210 gr TTSX's, I got 4-shot groups from 1" to 1.75". Velocity maxed out at 2800 fps.

Very happy so far.

Next up is dialing in COAL, as I am 0.125" off the lands at 3.34", the recommended max. There is room in the mag if I need it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That combo will have no trouble killing elk at normal hunting ranges.